Iowa vs Iowa State comparison

Iowa HAS good players - Garza, JoVice, Cook, even JoBo are good players. Then you have guys like Moss, Baer, ConMac that are still pretty decent but less skilled / more specialized.

There is ONE GIANT REASON Iowa underperforms relative to it's talent ... C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G.
- Zero discipline;
- Mismatch of strategy to personnel;
- Terrible game flow adjustment / management;
- Horrible substitution patterns;
- Every single Assistant has limited experience and expertise;
- No Accountability to success.

While I agree in game coaching isn't up to par with many of Fran's BIG counterparts, you hit the nail on the head when you said "Good" Players. That is the problem. We need an "ELITE" player or two, especially at the guard position (ask Dolph) to ever break through. We still have no team speed and athleticism and get exposed by more athletic teams frequently. Good is the enemy of Great.

Sorry but there’s a fairly big difference in the two programs... Since 2014..ISU been to 3 sweet 16’s..won 2 big 12 tourney titles and was ranked for like 2.5 years straight..like the entire year straight for 2.5 years..Iowa football hadn’t done that.

NCAA tourney is a coin toss once you get in but they had couple teams that had legit talent to make a final four ( but didn’t)..

Hilton is a top 10 ish venue in cbball IMO.. When they have a good team and are ranked that place is an absolute nightmare for opposing teams.

They have like idk 5 or 6 kids playing in NBA right now.. Iowa has zero.

I’m not saying Iowa can’t have what I just described but the two programs aren’t on the same plane and it’s really difficult for recruits to choose say Iowa and Carver when they can choose to go to a recent winner.

Iowa needs to stop recruiting all those good students and just concentrate on getting the best basketball players possible. Also accept every troublemaker that wants to transfer in. (especially if they are good players) That recipe has worked well for ISU.

Think coaching has a lot to do with it. Fran dug us out of the Lick hole but as deep as that was a good high school coach may have done just as well. Just like the Wisconsin game. Should have been fouling Ethan Happ late in the game every time he tried to make a move with the ball. I believe it was Minnesota that found out that really does work. Poor coaching late in the game.

Think coaching has a lot to do with it. Fran dug us out of the Lick hole but as deep as that was a good high school coach may have done just as well. Just like the Wisconsin game. Should have been fouling Ethan Happ late in the game every time he tried to make a move with the ball. I believe it was Minnesota that found out that really does work. Poor coaching late in the game.

Haap fouled out of the game. Should we have run over and fouled him on the bench?

ISU runs off their recruiting mistakes. Something like 60 % of freshmen and JUCO recruits end up elsewhere. It's easy to build a program when you can choose from twice as many players as Iowa.

Iowa State has been pretty selective with transfers. Really only had one not work out actually.

Hoiberg got lucky on a couple of those dudes. They were ticking time bombs they just did not go off on his watch.

ISU runs off their recruiting mistakes. Something like 60 % of freshmen and JUCO recruits end up elsewhere. It's easy to build a program when you can choose from twice as many players as Iowa.
Kyle Meyer, Pat Ingram, Troy Dickerson, Brandon Hutton, Andrew Fleming, Brady E, Dale Jones, Wagner and others say Hi.

Hoiberg was a good coach. But his ability to land those jucos so easily seemed... suspicious.

Latest posts