Iowa vs Indiana- 2 bad basketball teams

TalkHawk

Good to win the last home game of the year.

That is two bad basketball teams competing in a major conference.

Creek would help matters- but IU's overall flow of the game is even worse than Iowa's. Tough to watch.

I don't believe these programs are on the up and up just because of their youth...... and the the 80% scoring from underclassmen they broadcast showed statistically for both teams.
I do not see that as a good thing the way these teams play basketball.

Eye bleeding performance- not a good representation of what big 10 basketball should be.

You are going to get blasted for this post because we won. And now everything is all good because this team beat Indiana twice, PSU and NW in conference this season!!

Two YOUNG teams, for sure. Iowa is better, although the big ten network is much higher on the younger players at Indiana...I'll take being better than Indiana any year...Cully = tough. Gatens played his best game of the year. Nice game. No need to cut them down.

I actually think Indiana has some nice players. I sure don't think Crean uses them very well however. His offense is kind of pathetic. At times they play pretty good defense but they are inconsistent.

In both games against the Hoosiers, the Hawkeyes were quicker to the ball and they were the tougher team, physically and mentally. I know Indiana lost a real good player, but they are just as far away from relevance as Iowa is right now. Granted, that is like saying you are the tougher dude at the Lilith Fair (stole that from CF), but if I were an Indiana fan, I would be pretty ticked by how Iowa out efforted and out toughed your team twice and beat you by 15 both times.

It wasn't really pretty, and was downright ragtag at times early, but the Hawks scored 73 and they were tougher and played hard. I dont expect them to win em all, or even win half this year...just let me see effort, like tonight. That's why Thursday night was so tough to take.

I actually think Indiana has some nice players. I sure don't think Crean uses them very well however. His offense is kind of pathetic. At times they play pretty good defense but they are inconsistent.

You really think so? Other than Jones who on their team could play for any other big ten team? I think the reason they dont run an offense is because they suck and Crean knows it so he does his best to ugly up the game

In both games against the Hoosiers, the Hawkeyes were quicker to the ball and they were the tougher team, physically and mentally. I know Indiana lost a real good player, but they are just as far away from relevance as Iowa is right now. Granted, that is like saying you are the tougher dude at the Lilith Fair (stole that from CF), but if I were an Indiana fan, I would be pretty ticked by how Iowa out efforted and out toughed your team twice and beat you by 15 both times.

It wasn't really pretty, and was downright ragtag at times early, but the Hawks scored 73 and they were tougher and played hard. I dont expect them to win em all, or even win half this year...just let me see effort, like tonight. That's why Thursday night was so tough to take.

Jon I know your living is covering the hawks and all things IOWA. This Indiana team is just as young as Iowa 80.2% of their scoring is underclassmen, and Iowa is 80.9%. Take away Iowa's leading scorer at the same time Indiana lost theirs and Iowa would be playing even more poorly then they are now. When you are young and lose possibly your best guy as early as they did it is mail it in time by the end of the season, especially on the road. Iowa was very fortunate that Indiana didn't have a full bench and felt like they could press an entire game. We are so lacking a playmaker and a top flight PG it isn't funny. The only positive from tonight was Gatens didn't hurt a knee or ankle on the late play.

Jon I know your living is covering the hawks and all things IOWA. This Indiana team is just as young as Iowa 80.2% of their scoring is underclassmen, and Iowa is 80.9%. Take away Iowa's leading scorer at the same time Indiana lost theirs and Iowa would be playing even more poorly then they are now. When you are young and lose possibly your best guy as early as they did it is mail it in time by the end of the season, especially on the road. Iowa was very fortunate that Indiana didn't have a full bench and felt like they could press an entire game. We are so lacking a playmaker and a top flight PG it isn't funny. The only positive from tonight was Gatens didn't hurt a knee or ankle on the late play.

Cully Payne is more than adequate. He could use a solid backup.

My forecast at the start of the year was for 6-7 wins and I feared we might go O'fer in the Big Ten. Yes, no doubt 2 bad teams but it's still nice to see a win.

The kids have played hard all year,,, I've been surprised by their effort and some of the results in both wins and losses. I'll give neglible kudos and continue to sit on the fence for a while longer.

Patience and persistence are virtues.... what's the harm at this point ?

This is correct...

You really think so? Other than Jones who on their team could play for any other big ten team? I think the reason they dont run an offense is because they suck and Crean knows it so he does his best to ugly up the game

the only players on Indiana's roster who could possibly be in their rotation when they are relevant again are Watford, Creek (injured) and Verdell Jones. The rest of their roster is unskilled and unathletic, even more so than Iowa's roster.

Crean desperately needs the guys coming in next year to be good right away, and they just might be.

I certainly do not question the effort tonight. They fought and scrapped.

Both of these teams are a long ways away from being significant.

Incoming frosh are pretty important for these two teams.

I admire the players and coaches that believe they are going to get this thing turned around..... it can't be easy staying true to that belief everyday. I say that in regard to IU and Iowa.

they both have a ton of work to do.

I know loesshillshawk always has something negative to say about the Hawks, but I can't figure out what this means. Is he talking about Creek? I think he went down right before the conference season started which had to be the same week that Iowa lost their leading scorer. Am I missing something?

Re: This is correct...

the only players on Indiana's roster who could possibly be in their rotation when they are relevant again are Watford, Creek (injured) and Verdell Jones. The rest of their roster is unskilled and unathletic, even more so than Iowa's roster.

Crean desperately needs the guys coming in next year to be good right away, and they just might be.

Rivers is pretty darn quick.

He got to the rim 3 times down the stretch with zero defense.

As hawkeye fans, the past few yrs have been hard to stomach, that is for sure. Think how hard it must be for Indiana fans for better than 6 or so yrs. If many of us Iowa fans are imploding, just put in perspective what Indiana fan is going through with the tradition of b-ball in that state & in particular Indiana Hoosier b-ball.

Now, last night was a game where two teams pretty much mirrored each other, which, in actuality, is a very sad thing. Both don't have the guns to compete in a solid conference. Both have plodding offenses which can be perceived as some as pretty uninspirational to watch.

Even worse off than Iowa, Indiana doesn't have anything to remotely resemble an inside game. It's not going to be too many games that Iowa has the edge inside, but they seem to against Indiana. As Iowa fans, you think we are sick of our inside post game, think what Indiana fan is thinking!! Wow!. Nothing, Natta Not happenin' Non-existant!!

Both teams are clearly trying to build for the next couple yrs. The question is if the systems of both teams can keep up with the athletisism of the Mich States & Ohio States while matching the systems of Wisky & Purdue. Next year needs to show progress & the 2011-12 yr needs to show results.

I wish somebody would post on how bad iowa is, i havnt read enough posts of everybody saying the exact samethings..

Latest posts