Iowa v EIU Game Thread

Well for one thing they dont go ripping on the other team. Why dont you have a listen for yourself.

hey chief, a word of free advice: don't troll the Iowa game thread during the first game of the season. Or any game, for that matter. It makes you look like an attention-starved child.

For those like me that won't be able to join the chat, lets get this going.
Any pre-game predictions?
I'm going 34-7 Iowa with a slow start but a bg third quarter.

pretty close guess, huh? yep, patting myself on the back.

All in all a good first effort....Stanzi shows a lot more patience...defense is solid but for one glitchy TD....Adam Robinson looks great and we still have Jewell's return to look forward to...a few hiccups on offense but nothing that looked like a long term problem...all in all I am fired up seeing the boys in black and gold....bring on the CLOWNS!

hey chief, a word of free advice: don't troll the Iowa game thread during the first game of the season. Or any game, for that matter. It makes you look like an attention-starved child.

221 post vintage, im not trolling. Its my first hawkeye game im listening to on the radio and just noticeing this. Hawkeyes are playing great just kinda think the announcers are being alittle rude is all.

I'm still not sure what to think. We blew out a team we should have which is good but I didn't feel we played amazing.

Let's go beat State.

I thought we played pretty well....for a first game, shaking the rust off....EIU would have been shut out but for a trick play and a big pass....offensive positives were Stanzi showing some maturity not forcing things and Robinson looking good....sure we weren't perfect but we looked like a top 10 team shaking the summer dust off but not showing any problems that should worry us....stop with the teeth gnashing about the Cy-clown game....

I'm still not sure what to think. We blew out a team we should have which is good but I didn't feel we played amazing.

Let's go beat State.

I kind of agree. I liked the fast start, we haven't seen that in the past couple of seasons, so that was really encouraging (irrespective of opponent).
But I didn't like the stagnation later in the game; it suggests let-up and cockiness, which could be disastrous with any of our other foes.

Iowa's D line is freaking unreal. Add Binns and thats easily the best Dline around (that hasnt taken money from an agent anyway).

Stanzi looked about the same as last year.

I thought Robinson ran really well.

Your new kickoff guy has a really nice leg. Wow

Iowa as always has about 100 play making TEs.

Hopefully next week will go by without any injuries to either side.

Didn't see anyone mention this, but did anyone else get pretty psyched when KOK called the back-to-back end arounds? That was so out of character for him, and I love it when a guy will occassionally throw that curveball.

Didn't see anyone mention this, but did anyone else get pretty psyched when KOK called the back-to-back end arounds? That was so out of character for him, and I love it when a guy will occassionally throw that curveball.

I noticed that. I was thinking to myself, "who are you and what have you done with KO'K?!?"
:confused::D

I thought the O-line did a good job today and Robinson ran hard as he always does. Hampton says he is hungry and he is going to have to be to earn his carries. Can't wait to see them battle it out. I only noticed one shot down the field today where McNutt was wide open and Rick overthrew it a bit but then again when you are running it down their throat who cares. Pretty good first game overall. Bring on the clones baby.

Stanzi looked about the same as last year.

I tend to disagree a little bit. Under heavy pressure today, he quickly tucked the ball away and ran, or took the sack, or threw it with a quicker release into a safe zone without telegraphing.

Last edited:
Ricky going out was scary, but not as scary as last year. Vandenberg came in an drove down for a TD. Looks like he put on some much needed wieght. So now we know that Iowa has two solid QB's, two solid RB's. Good recievers, and a work-in progress O'line.

Defensively the line was dominating as you would expect. I lost count how many times Adrian was in the backfield. Ballard looked great. I think the secondary was out of position more than they should have been.

Ricky going out was scary, but not as scary as last year. Vandenberg came in an drove down for a TD. Looks like he put on some much needed wieght. So now we know that Iowa has two solid QB's, two solid RB's. Good recievers, and a work-in progress O'line.

Defensively the line was dominating as you would expect. I lost count how many times Adrian was in the backfield. Ballard looked great. I think the secondary was out of position more than they should have been.

I agree about your QB observation. While I was literally holding my breath when RS went down, I didn't feel that accompanying panic bolt about JV stepping in. Not even a little bit. And JV engineered a terrific drive.
The one big difference I noticed between our QBs was voice tone - RS barks out his cadence and signals, and JV...well, let's just say he sounded like a Tenor, and Ricky's a Baritone. :eek::p:)

Latest posts