Iowa Targeting January for New OC

Not going to change much, my concern is that the offensive culture has been bad for years. It's going to take time to cycle these players out and bring in that new mindset.

I don't think KF will ever prioritize development of his QBs. His ideal QB is a 6'5" pro-style QB who sits in the pocket and doesn't fumble, doesn't throw INTs, and who can distribute the ball. Someone who can implement his offensive philosophy, which is, in his own words "Possess the ball. Move the ball. Score the ball" -- in that precise order of priority.
Given that reality, the best I'm hoping for is an OCoordinator who can recruit 4-5 star OLinemen, and develop them. If that's Paul Chryst, so be it. Our recruiting of OLinemen has been subpar for a long time -- really no difference-makers other than Lindebaum since Wirf and Jackson. The problem with Chryst, of course, is his offense at Wisconsin his last couple years was more predictable and more one-dimensional that anything we've had at Iowa for many years...and I REALLY don't want to go there.
Better upgrade the offensive line if you have a pro style QB a piece Kirk overlooked . Most teams now have mobile QBs now as far as defense even Parker’s eyes will be opened next year with the type of QBs the defense will be facing. And Kirk will be standing on the sideline scratching his head wow mobile QBs do work.

If Chryst truly is not a candidate, my guess is that Kirk is concerned that he would simply sign on as a stepping stone to a return to a HC somewhere.

That's probably a realistic concern. If Chryst came in and had the offense humming (or even just serviceable) within a season or two, it's highly probable that he would be gone.
The Hayden vs Kirk debate is one of the liveliest on here and you just nailed perhaps the biggest difference between the two. Kirk doesn't like hiring potential HC material, whether it is here or someplace else.

Hayden had an entire staff of assistants who aspired to be a HC someday and wouldn't have had it any ither way. And some of them wnt on to be more successful than their mentor.

The Hayden vs Kirk debate is one of the liveliest on here and you just nailed perhaps the biggest difference between the two. Kirk doesn't like hiring potential HC material, whether it is here or someplace else.

Hayden had an entire staff of assistants who aspired to be a HC someday and wouldn't have had it any ither way. And some of them wnt on to be more successful than their mentor.
Yeah, it is an interesting distinction and one that has been discussed off and on for several years. In this case, I don't think the aspiration to return to a HC position per se would disqualify him in Kirk's eyes. It's more the rapidity in which it could happen.

Fry loved to target young up-and-comers that had HC aspirations, and was very vocal about it. His coaching tree as a result is legendary. Mike Holmgren, the former Packers coach, was very similar in that regard.

While I don't think Kirk actually shies away from someone with those aspirations, he has never prioritized it as a qualifier in the manner Fry did. Some will speculate that it's because Kirk is a control freak that wants "yes men" under him. I'm not so sure. My take is that the two simply have/had different views of their positions. Kirk sees himself as a player and program developer, whereas Fry saw himself as both a player and coach developer.

Ok, bowl season is over. Unless we are poaching a guy from an nfl playoff team what’s the delay?

Ok, bowl season is over. Unless we are poaching a guy from an nfl playoff team what’s the delay?
Convincing someone to run Kirk's offense, with a weak line, weak schemes, no WR depth at all, a QB who is on his 3rd knee reconstruction, and a head coach who is probably out the door in 2-5 years. GOOD LUCK

Convincing someone to run Kirk's offense, with a weak line, weak schemes, no WR depth at all, a QB who is on his 3rd knee reconstruction, and a head coach who is probably out the door in 2-5 years. GOOD LUCK
Curious. Have you looked at Michael Penix’ medical history?

Fascinating debate indeed. I used to have the very strong opinion that the Hayden Fry way is correct and that Kirk's philosophy is flawed. The hypothesis is that Kirk's obsession with consistency breeds a mediocre coaching staff. I still think this, but I realize now how much nuance there is in this discussion.

In modern college football, I totally understand why any long-term head coach (program CEO type) would want to avoid career oriented (job jumping) guys. I understand why Kirk has set up his culture to steer clear of revolving door coaches and positions.

And in some ways, it's worked out really well for him. But at the same time, his strictness in this philosophy has allowed Kirk to justify letting his son lead the offense... as the worst performing unit in the history of the sport.

I get it, did you see Cade's lack of mobility this year?
Yes. He was hurt before the knee injury, which limited his mobility. And, he missed a ton of practice reps. No big secret. And, the main point about Cades‘ brief appearance was the totally inept Oline. They were at their worst early in the year.

I don’t know how Cade will perform in 2024. But. We cannot afford to give up on him. He may be all we have.

Yes. He was hurt before the knee injury, which limited his mobility. And, he missed a ton of practice reps. No big secret. And, the main point about Cades‘ brief appearance was the totally inept Oline. They were at their worst early in the year.

I don’t know how Cade will perform in 2024. But. We cannot afford to give up on him. He may be all we have.
Who's fault is that....

Who ???
Joe Philbin
Paul Chryst
Bill O'Brien
Josh McDaniel
Joe Moorhead
Jerry Kill
Ryan Grubb
Mystery Name

Who ???
Joe Philbin
Paul Chryst
Bill O'Brien
Josh McDaniel
Joe Moorhead
Jerry Kill
Ryan Grubb
Mystery Name
Based upon the posting requirements and recent statements by Kirk, I would guess we'll have an answer in 2-4 weeks.

McDaniel? Um, not going to happen. Grubb is a pipe dream. There is almost zero chance he would make a lateral move as an OC from a title contender to Iowa. He'll be getting HC offers soon if he hasn't already.

KF is running the show. Chryst, Philbin, or otherwise the offense is going to be the same.
I think this was shot down as not true by Eicholt and other reporters. That was back before the bowl game I remember and I wouldn't use that as any kind of indicator. Doesn't mean it won't end up that way still but from what'd been reported KF hadn't decided on anyone or finished interviewing or 'talking' to people yet.

Latest posts