iowa style and a question

fuldose

I read on one of the threads after the Big Tens that Iowa was having trouble wrestling the "The Iowa Style" because of the lack of stall calls. I have thought alot about that statement the last couple of days and wouldn't it be correct to say that if we were wrestling the traditional "Iowa Style" whether stalling is being called or not it shouldn't matter. the whole premise behind "Iowa Style" is to impose our style on the opponent. So if they are backing out, or bellying out, or just ridding, it is the Iowa Style to take charge and take the match to the opponent. Get hand control, push the pace, inflict pain if needed.

Now a question, I personally like the movie Braveheart and i would like to know if any of you that have seen that movie think that the character in the movie that plays Longshanks Gay son looks like a twin brother to the 157 lber from Northwestern Welch?

When I watch old youtube matches I'm shocked at how fast they called stalling. You don't realize how much dancing around, wrestling on the edge, and backing up they let go now days until you watch actual footage from back in the day.

Hell, they called two stallings in McIlravy-Abas and that match had 30 total points in it! That ref was a little extreme imo, but still.

Blaming it on 'stall call' is a cop out and it shouldn't make a difference. Never leave the match in the refs hands

Blaming it on 'stall call' is a cop out and it shouldn't make a difference. Never leave the match in the refs hands

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying it's different. And I would add that it's less exciting for the fans. But for the wrestlers, you just adapt.

Riding is much more apprecaited in these days and refs are less likely to ding then in the 80's and 90's... Also the reviews/instant reply does hurt our iowa style.. It gives our competition time to get a breather.. We are so much more conditioned than any other team at the NCAA's..

Hawks would get more stalling calls if they truly wrestled the "Old Iowa" style. That means attempting a variety of shots (single, double, ankle pick, high crotch, etc.) and wearing your opponent down in the first two periods and then dominating them from the top position in the 3rd period and working for the fall.
Outside of Ramos this years team does not initiate many TD attempts and when they do it is typically a straight on shot that is not followed up by another move. In the Big Finals the Hawks did not finish a single TD attempt and this has to change if they they want to have any chance to finish in the top 3 at Nationals. I believe the team has the mental toughness required to win big matches but for whatever reason the technique required to finish TD's seems to be lacking for the majority of Hawk wrestlers.
I was definitely spoiled by the Gable coached team's but still believe this team has more potential then what they've shown so far. Hopefully they can take it to the next level at National's next week.

Agree with Dominate, need to attack more on their feet. I personally think the style of wrestling has changed because of what the refs let theses guys get away with. They allow for a more defensive style of wrestling.

Agree with Dominate, need to attack more on their feet. I personally think the style of wrestling has changed because of what the refs let theses guys get away with. They allow for a more defensive style of wrestling.

Couldnt agree more. If we as a fan base or if a wrestler/coach are thinking about getting the stalling calls more than driving the pace of the match, then we are in trouble. The days of an official calling stalling calls for taking two steps backwards on the whistle are gone. It just doesnt happen like it should or certainly like it used to.

Dominate is right. But to me its more than attacking on our feet. The way these matches are wrestled these days, there are so many built in "breathers" that werent there 15 years ago. There are so many scramble situations(I call them the "Twister" positions) that allow for a lot of hanging on and no a whole lot of exertion. Usually in a low single position where ankles are held onto as both a defensive and offensive move. Sometimes there are actually points scored in these positions, but more often than not, there are no points, they end up in a stalemate, neither wreslter is worn out too much and there is certainly no time where one wrestler looks to "not be working".

Im not going to say that the low single cant be an effective offensive move, but our "style" that everyone keeps mentioning is the one where our feet are constantly moving and our conditioning is wearing on the opponent. The stalling calls then come, not as a result of our opponent moving backwards, but as result of US moving them backwards as we force the action. The high single that Telford was getting into a lot during the big tens is what I am talking about. Now, in the semis, he didnt move the opponent much in that position and it never resulted in points. On Sunday, during the wrestlebacks, he moved his opponent a lot, several times back to the middle of the mat first and then finished. But he never stopped moving. Any idea how much energy a wrestler uses bouncing around on one foot with his other foot above his own waist or shoulder? THis is even more true for a heavyweight. If he continues that, he will be fine at nationals.

A good high crotch where we cut the corner right away or just a freight train double are both moves we scored a lot on in the 80's and 90's that both forced the opponent to keep moving with little or no breaks, but didnt allow them to "hang over" the top of us and subsequently grab our ankle and tie us up. Remember doubles that started in the middle of the mat and then ended up 5 feet off the mat? That is how you wear a wrestler down and that is when the stalling calls come around.

Again, as I said in a previous post, I am not sure if this is an Iowa issue all of the time, but more of the way wrestling as a sport is moving. No matter what Brands wants his kids to do, if they have wrestled a certain way for 10 years before they get to campus, it will be very difficult to change them. That combined with that fact that most everyone else wrestles this "new" way and officiating has continued to change along the way.

By the way Ramos, without a doubt, moves his feet better than anyone on our team and the results speak for themselves. With that said, when Stieber had Ramos in that high single in the 3rd period and hit that bazigar? That is a great aggressive move that we used to hit all of the time. Sweet. Granted, Ramos fought his *** off and didnt give up the points, but still a great powerful move.

Go Hawks.

PS: I think this is a link to a Royce Alger/Kevin Jackson match from 1987 that is a great example of this style of wrestling. I will check in to make sure it works.

Kevin Jackson v Royce Alger 2-21-87 » Watch College Wrestling Video Online » Iowa Public Television

By the way Ramos, without a doubt, moves his feet better than anyone on our team and the results speak for themselves.

This Sentence in it self makes my point. Ramos is the proof in the pudding that the true sense of the Iowa Style can work despite the lack of stall calls. What is the secret to getting our guys to that point? I have no idea. Thats what our coaching staff is for. But to another of Blue's points, if the recruits we are bringing in have wrestled this less aggresive style for maybe 10 years, then it will be hard to get them to pull the trigger. Perhaps a visit to the film room to watch some of the greats in Iowa history would spark a little of the Iowa Style that we all would love to see come back to the surface.
Make no mistake. I am not down on our hawks. I still believe that if we wrestle to our capabilites, not our seeds, and get a little help on the way with a few upsets, this team is more than capable of bringing home "The Title" next weekend.

By the way Ramos, without a doubt, moves his feet better than anyone on our team and the results speak for themselves.

This Sentence in it self makes my point. Ramos is the proof in the pudding that the true sense of the Iowa Style can work despite the lack of stall calls. What is the secret to getting our guys to that point? I have no idea. Thats what our coaching staff is for. But to another of Blue's points, if the recruits we are bringing in have wrestled this less aggresive style for maybe 10 years, then it will be hard to get them to pull the trigger. Perhaps a visit to the film room to watch some of the greats in Iowa history would spark a little of the Iowa Style that we all would love to see come back to the surface.
Make no mistake. I am not down on our hawks. I still believe that if we wrestle to our capabilites, not our seeds, and get a little help on the way with a few upsets, this team is more than capable of bringing home "The Title" next weekend.

the problem sits with all the guys that have great success not being aggressive - they get rewarded with wins, and sometimes big upset wins. So - it flows to keep it boring and close and make some last ditch effort to win in the end. Iowa guys see that. I don't know - but maybe hiring guys like backes and boringstar are starting to influence the team in that direction

The way matches are called now, sucks.
About half of every match you watch now is one wrestler hanging on a leg or ankle, stalling half the match away. If wrestlers are allowed to continue this type of wrestling, then do away with awarding a point for riding time. Delgado kicked McDonough's butt, no doubt, but it was really unbelieveable how much of that match time was spent with Delgado hanging on without moving up after a takedown.

the refs were scared to make any stall calls at assembly hall in that delgado match but it wouldn't of made a difference. as soon as kirk and I thought they should ding him for stalling he was in on a shot

the refs were scared to make any stall calls at assembly hall in that delgado match but it wouldn't of made a difference. as soon as kirk and I thought they should ding him for stalling he was in on a shot

We all know it made no diff. in that match. The fact that this is what wrestling has become is not good for the sport. Wrestling is a tough sell anyway to the average person and when then tune in and watch one guy hanging onto another's ankle for 3-4 minutes a match, it is not good.

I watched that Jackson Alger match and then the first matchup between them. That first matchup had a real great example of how fast they used to call stalling. Jackson got hit about four or five times and the last time was for two points. Today, I doubt he would have got called even once.

Kevin Jackson v Royce Alger 1-11-87 » Watch College Wrestling Video Online » Iowa Public Television

The second Alger/Jackson match, the 3rd and 4th stalling calls I definitely disagree with. The third one moreso.

I don't think I'd ever want to see a match lost like that, by any wrestler. Alger wasn't hitting his takedowns later in the match, and pretty much got bailed out by the ref in the end.

Now Jackson WAS stalling when he took his injury time for whatever he was doing in the second and the start of the third. That was insane and upset me more then the stall calls.

Latest posts