Iowa State

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
Crushing would have been extending the half-time lead to 25, then 30, then 35 points....demoralizing them. We didn't do that. They came roaring back and we answered it late with a run.

And as senior team playing against a bunch of freshmen, I'd expect nothing less.
Double digits, easily covered, controlled from the tip. I never once felt like Iowa wasn’t in control. We can argue over semantics but Iowa pushed UNC’s dick in. It wasn’t close

Double digits, easily covered, controlled from the tip. I never once felt like Iowa wasn’t in control. We can argue over semantics but Iowa pushed UNC’s dick in. It wasn’t close

castration gifs | WiffleGif

:cool:

People who pooh pooh this advice are either morons or are too young to remember the 1987 game, in which case they are also morons. Flashback, 1987. The greatest Iowa team of my memory (I am too young to remember the Final Four team). Roy Marble, Ed Horton, BJ Armstrong, the pride of Bowbells Lester Jepsen, Jeff Moe, Al Lorenzen, Kent Hill, Bill Jones, and Michael Reaves. That team had star power and depth. The B1G was stacked. Absolutely stacked, just like this year. Hawks were ranked in the top 10 and should have trounced the Clowns. But no. Ohhhhh nooooo. LaFester Rhodes scored FIFTY FUCKING FOUR points and Iowa State won the game. Single greatest non-tournament game I've seen by a player at the collegiate level. I don't give a shit how ISU looks "on paper" because that kind of thing can happen in this game.
That game was in Hilton with an incredible crowd. Friday’s game isn’t.

I kind of disagree. Fran has really had Prohm's number, so you add in the relative strengths of the teams and factor in the coaching history there and I think it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

On ISU: They had some injuries and contract tracing stuff for the team before the season, so they couldn't even have full scrimmages. They have 7 new players and the team has not gelled at all. They had a game with DePaul get cancelled due to COVID last weekend, they quickly tried to schedule another game on Tuesday which fell through because the the team they were trying to schedule started having COVID issues. They felt it was important for ISU to try to get another game in before Iowa to be more prepared.

What this should tell us is that ISU is not prepared to play a high quality opponent at all. They have serious talent issues. They specifically are ill prepared to slow a team with an elite big like Garza. If I honestly had to guess I would assume Iowa gets up double digits very quickly, it's never even a game at all, and Iowa coasts to something like a 20 point victory with your freshman getting some serious run at the end. The only chance ISU has is hitting like 15 3's.
Jalen Coleman-Lands was an Iowa killer when he was at Illinois...

...and when he was at De Paul...

...Now he is a Cyclone.

He is an eighth year senior, or at least seems like it. He played against Iowa when Peter Jok was still there, Indiana when Yogi Ferrell was still there.

He may never run out of eligibility.

Iowa 89 Iowa State 64 in ‘86-‘87
The Rhodes game was 87-88, in December of 1987.

Rhodes played little his first three years in Ames. I think he actually ran a little cross country. When he scored 54 (and had 14 rebounds as well) it may have equalled his output from his first three years.

Rhodes had a shot, and build, similar to Jalen Rose. He was 6'8, MAYBE 200 lbs, and Ed Horton should have been able to eat him for lunch. But Rhodes frequently beat Horton to rebounds for put backs. And Horton wanted no part of guarding Rhodes on the perimeter. He kept slinging those funny looking shots with that slow release and the basket kept getting in the way. Iowa kept waiting for him to cool down but he never did.

His cross country roots helped as well. The game went overtime and I think Rhodes played the full 45 minutes. I played city rec ball and YMCA noontime ball into my early forties. Twenty years after that epic performance, when someone had a career game and played over his head we referred to him as a "Lafester".

Jalen Coleman-Lands was an Iowa killer when he was at Illinois...

...and when he was at De Paul...

...Now he is a Cyclone.

He is an eighth year senior, or at least seems like it. He played against Iowa when Peter Jok was still there, Indiana when Yogi Ferrell was still there.

He may never run out of eligibility.

JCL is absolutely a first class dude I will say that. Really works hard on the court, dives for loose balls, etc. From a military family, very focused on school, etc.

Excuse me if I rain on anyone's parade here...but upsets happen early in seasons all the time. Iowa has a massive advantage in the post...and on the perimeter. It should be a 20 pt win...and may be...but ISU has some talent on that roster. What they also have, are quick guards that like to penetrate. How has that gone for Iowa over the past four years...it gives us fits.

Now, I expect Iowa to play zone and force Iowa State to beat them shooting the ball from deep. These are all college players...go to any gym and watch a practice or shooting drills...these guys shoot 70% during shooting drills. It's different with a defensive player obviously and in a game situation..but guys get hot...and teams feed on that...that's how upsets happen.

Anything can happen in any college basketball game, but I feel like this team has a different attitude to it. I expect them to dominate ISU and I don't think ISU will have an answer for Luka which is pretty common for most of our matchups. I'm normally the person that fears games like this because I know anything can happen. I just don't see it happening tonight.

We lost to South Dakota State in 2017. Glad to see ISU is in that boat now and not us.

I actually don't think ISU understands the rivalry. The ISU team with Monte, Naz, Matt and Deonte got smoked by Iowa. That's four NBA players right there on one team. Iowa will get ISU's best shot, if for no other reason than Iowa is #3.

I don't think it's really possible but I actually think you're overestimating ISU here.
You were saying???

I was saying Iowa would get Iowa State’s best shot and it would still be a beat down. What do I win? If Garza doesn’t pick up two cheap ones it’s an NBA all star game score. I’m with coach K cancel the season.
They put up shell of a fight in the first half. But, yeah, they had no answers for Garza.

Last thing - Iowa State shot 40% from 3 and still lost by 28. That should show you just how challenged this Iowa State team is.