Iowa State

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

I'm gonna enjoy this victory vs N. Car. for a few days. What a sweet win!!! The first hurdle cleared, on our way to our "special season."
Cyclowns up next. What do we know about them? Scouting report, please!

If we play well, they can't beat us. Like most games, we'll be in trouble if we can't hit the broad side of a barn, and/or they shoot lights out. In-state rivalry can do that to teams. If we were playing someone like Seton Hall, etc, it would suck to lose, small meltdown, and then move on. Not Iowa State. PLEASE not Iowa State.

Clowns will have no answer for Garza. North Carolina had the bigs who could slow him down. Hawks are talented and deep. Clowns are in for a beatdown.

Which doesn't matter when they take the court against Iowa. You throw out the records in a game like this.

I kind of disagree. Fran has really had Prohm's number, so you add in the relative strengths of the teams and factor in the coaching history there and I think it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

On ISU: They had some injuries and contract tracing stuff for the team before the season, so they couldn't even have full scrimmages. They have 7 new players and the team has not gelled at all. They had a game with DePaul get cancelled due to COVID last weekend, they quickly tried to schedule another game on Tuesday which fell through because the the team they were trying to schedule started having COVID issues. They felt it was important for ISU to try to get another game in before Iowa to be more prepared.

What this should tell us is that ISU is not prepared to play a high quality opponent at all. They have serious talent issues. They specifically are ill prepared to slow a team with an elite big like Garza. If I honestly had to guess I would assume Iowa gets up double digits very quickly, it's never even a game at all, and Iowa coasts to something like a 20 point victory with your freshman getting some serious run at the end. The only chance ISU has is hitting like 15 3's.

I kind of disagree. Fran has really had Prohm's number, so you add in the relative strengths of the teams and factor in the coaching history there and I think it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

On ISU: They had some injuries and contract tracing stuff for the team before the season, so they couldn't even have full scrimmages. They have 7 new players and the team has not gelled at all. They had a game with DePaul get cancelled due to COVID last weekend, they quickly tried to schedule another game on Tuesday which fell through because the the team they were trying to schedule started having COVID issues. They felt it was important for ISU to try to get another game in before Iowa to be more prepared.

What this should tell us is that ISU is not prepared to play a high quality opponent at all. They have serious talent issues. They specifically are ill prepared to slow a team with an elite big like Garza. If I honestly had to guess I would assume Iowa gets up double digits very quickly, it's never even a game at all, and Iowa coasts to something like a 20 point victory with your freshman getting some serious run at the end. The only chance ISU has is hitting like 15 3's.
All I'm saying is we shouldn't take our rivals lightly. I agree there is a big difference in talent but you can't tell me the players taking the court against Iowa won't want to kick our ass. Iowa is gonna get Iowa States best shot, it might not be a very effective one but these players on both sides understand the rivalry.

It's not different than football. Iowa should have slaughtered Nebraska, the talent gap and coaching is HUGE (more so coaching) and Iowa got their best shot.

Having said that I hope Iowa wipes the court with them and afterwards I'll pull for you guys.

Ranking right up there with O$U, there is *no* team or program I get greater satisfaction in beating that ISUx. None.

(growing up 60 miles north Ames and listening to all the cyclone goobers has somewhat jaded me) :)

All I'm saying is we shouldn't take our rivals lightly. I agree there is a big difference in talent but you can't tell me the players taking the court against Iowa won't want to kick our ass. Iowa is gonna get Iowa States best shot, it might not be a very effective one but these players on both sides understand the rivalry.

It's not different than football. Iowa should have slaughtered Nebraska, the talent gap and coaching is HUGE (more so coaching) and Iowa got their best shot.

Having said that I hope Iowa wipes the court with them and afterwards I'll pull for you guys.

I actually don't think ISU understands the rivalry. The ISU team with Monte, Naz, Matt and Deonte got smoked by Iowa. That's four NBA players right there on one team. Iowa will get ISU's best shot, if for no other reason than Iowa is #3.

I don't think it's really possible but I actually think you're overestimating ISU here.

Which doesn't matter when they take the court against Iowa. You throw out the records in a game like this.

People who pooh pooh this advice are either morons or are too young to remember the 1987 game, in which case they are also morons. Flashback, 1987. The greatest Iowa team of my memory (I am too young to remember the Final Four team). Roy Marble, Ed Horton, BJ Armstrong, the pride of Bowbells Lester Jepsen, Jeff Moe, Al Lorenzen, Kent Hill, Bill Jones, and Michael Reaves. That team had star power and depth. The B1G was stacked. Absolutely stacked, just like this year. Hawks were ranked in the top 10 and should have trounced the Clowns. But no. Ohhhhh nooooo. LaFester Rhodes scored FIFTY FUCKING FOUR points and Iowa State won the game. Single greatest non-tournament game I've seen by a player at the collegiate level. I don't give a shit how ISU looks "on paper" because that kind of thing can happen in this game.

Iowa just crushed North Carolina in a game where Luka Garza had his lowest output of points in 11 months. Rival or not, they have no business losing to ISU on their home court this season. Not saying upsets don't happen, but just be prepared for me to have a melt down of epic proportions live on Hawkeyenation if it does

I do not expect a close game with ISU. They have some good recruits but is very inexperienced team and not blessed with great perimeter shooting. Even ISU Fanatics are projecting this as a loss. Many feel Phrom (sp) time in Ames is up.

Iowa just crushed North Carolina in a game where Luka Garza had his lowest output of points in 11 months. Rival or not, they have no business losing to ISU on their home court this season. Not saying upsets don't happen, but just be prepared for me to have a melt down of epic proportions live on Hawkeyenation if it does
Not sure I'd call what we did last night as "crushing" anyone, but true, we shouldn't be too threatened by ISUx.

People who pooh pooh this advice are either morons or are too young to remember the 1987 game, in which case they are also morons. Flashback, 1987. The greatest Iowa team of my memory (I am too young to remember the Final Four team). Roy Marble, Ed Horton, BJ Armstrong, the pride of Bowbells Lester Jepsen, Jeff Moe, Al Lorenzen, Kent Hill, Bill Jones, and Michael Reaves. That team had star power and depth. The B1G was stacked. Absolutely stacked, just like this year. Hawks were ranked in the top 10 and should have trounced the Clowns. But no. Ohhhhh nooooo. LaFester Rhodes scored FIFTY FUCKING FOUR points and Iowa State won the game. Single greatest non-tournament game I've seen by a player at the collegiate level. I don't give a shit how ISU looks "on paper" because that kind of thing can happen in this game.
Iowa 89 Iowa State 64 in ‘86-‘87

Not sure I'd call what we did last night as "crushing" anyone, but true, we shouldn't be too threatened by ISUx.
We won by double digits in a game that we controlled from the tip, we crushed North Carolina. That was a crushing and total dismantlement of a top 25 squad full of 4 and 5 star kids. Basketball royalty - Iowa crushed them, it was hardly a game, it was never really in doubt and NC only managed to take like 1 or 2 leads the entire game. That is dominance bro

In 87-88 Iowa State was 20-12 and made the tourney. This team is probably going to win 6 games. Not even remotely comparable. Rhodes averaged 22.5 PPG that season.

We won by double digits in a game that we controlled from the tip, we crushed North Carolina. That was a crushing and total dismantlement of a top 25 squad full of 4 and 5 star kids. Basketball royalty - Iowa crushed them, it was hardly a game, it was never really in doubt and NC only managed to take like 1 or 2 leads the entire game. That is dominance bro
Crushing would have been extending the half-time lead to 25, then 30, then 35 points....demoralizing them. We didn't do that. They came roaring back and we answered it late with a run.

And as senior team playing against a bunch of freshmen, I'd expect nothing less.

Please post a zoom link prior to commencing aforementioned epic meltdown. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts