Iowa state rock bottom? and kinnick crowd

It's been said before but Iowa home crowds have way too many old people who complain when people stand up too much.
OMG F that. I'm glad nobody behind me even tried to say anything.... I was up most of the time sitting in those bleachers that long hurts my back. I thought the crowd was great when it needed to be. Hell 10 or more of their penalty yards can be directly attributed to the crowd. I was pretty close to the student section and it was loud in that 124 section most of the time

I have no clue what ISUs schedule looks like but is there a realistic chance they put a 0 in the win column at the end of the year? I'd like to think so after this effort but I'm sure NDSU is pretty darn good and possibly better then another team or two on their schedule that I'm not aware of.

The only thing better then Iowa having a great year is ISU having a terrible one on top of it.

2000 14-24
2001 14-17
2002 31-36
2005 3-23
2007 13-15
2011 41-44
2012 6-9

Not sure I'd be so fast to garrote the cyclones. We've had plenty of angst with them.

I wasn't really alluding to whether ISU had hit rock bottom, I was actually referring to the quoted posters comment that ISU was "one of the ten worst programs in the history of college football." If they are, that doesn't speak too well of Kirk's record against them does it?

I am sorry but your point doesn't make sense when compared to the original comment made regarding ISU. If you look at ISU football history then yes they are a bottom 10 program, it is a fact. That doesn't have anything to do with their recent success against Iowa under Kirk Ferentz.

It is a comment about their overall history not the last 10-15 years. Besides the last 10-15 years or so is some of the best ISU teams they have ever had.

Re: ISU is wasting money on that stadium

crumbling concrete all over isu campus - around hilton, other buildings, etc. they have a real infrastructure problem.

Back in the olden days, even computer engineers at Iowa had to take a materials engineering class. Among other things we got to mix and pour a series of concrete beams with slightly different proportions of cement, water and aggregates, and then used a hydraulic ram to measure their breaking point (great fun! safety glasses required!). We learned you have to mix concrete with surprising precision to ensure strength and durability.

Obviously ISU's contractor(s) didn't. Looks like the freaking Soviet Union over there.

I assume the crowd was not as into it because they were more worried (and frustrated) regarding how close the score was throughout. We had all of the momentum to start to game and then we quickly let them score on us ... I think our fanbase is still a bit gun shy with the program in its current state. Wanting to believe we can get back to the way it used to be ... but still hesitant.

As for ISU ... this is not the schools worse loss. This is a good NDSU team ... This was a bad loss for ISU in the sense how bad they got beat but it's not one of their worst losses.

Last edited:
The game was a bummer. Crowd was good at the outset, and as others have mentioned, in the fourth quarter they were really good. Probably cost UNI a TD late. I think, from talking to the long time fans around me, that we were pretty disgusted that Iowa was not dominating UNI, especially in our run game. I think that was where the silence originated. And, UNI's big plays in response to Iowa scores really took the wind out of the fans' sails.

UNI had the best skill player in the stadium. That plus Iowa's fkups kept that game close.

It was adequately loud in the 4th quarter.

I don't recall Iowa ever "dominating" UNI in the past. Maybe I forgot a total beatdown along the way but IIRC the games have traditionally been fairly close.

Re: ISU is wasting money on that stadium

Back in the olden days, even computer engineers at Iowa had to take a materials engineering class. Among other things we got to mix and pour a series of concrete beams with slightly different proportions of cement, water and aggregates, and then used a hydraulic ram to measure their breaking point (great fun! safety glasses required!). We learned you have to mix concrete with surprising precision to ensure strength and durability.

Obviously ISU's contractor(s) didn't. Looks like the freaking Soviet Union over there.

LOL that's exactly what I think of when I look at ISUck's concrete campus...old Soviet-era Eastern Europe central-planned crap.

It's hilarious that they are forking over millions to bowl in that disintegrating dump. Pollardvision.

You have to give Pollard and ISU marketing credit for keeping any semblance of a fan base. That team is awful, yet they still maintained optimism throughout the offseason.

rhoads.0.gif

I assume the crowd was not as into it because they were more worried (and frustrated) regarding how close the score was throughout. We had all of the momentum to start to game and then we quickly let them score on us ... I think our fanbase is still a bit gun shy with the program in its current state. Wanting to believe we can get back to the way it used to be ... but still hesitant.

As for ISU ... this is not the schools worse loss. This is a good NDSU team ... This was a bad loss for ISU in the sense how bad they got beat but it's not one of their worst losses.

What do you think is their worse loss? Im not talking about score wise (77-7 loss to baylor), im talking pure embarrassment. FBS should never lose to FCS, no matter if that FCS school has won 3 straight national titles. IsU got manhandled.

2000 14-24
2001 14-17
2002 31-36
2005 3-23
2007 13-15
2011 41-44
2012 6-9

Not sure I'd be so fast to garrote the cyclones. We've had plenty of angst with them.
When we lose to the Cyclones it's usually because they aren't that bad and we aren't that good aside from maybe 2007 but that year we weren't that good either. If they beat us it's gonna be because we suck too. I'm not worried about that team.

What do you think is their worse loss? Im not talking about score wise (77-7 loss to baylor), im talking pure embarrassment. FBS should never lose to FCS, no matter if that FCS school has won 3 straight national titles. IsU got manhandled.
Did you happen to forget or didn't know that Appalachian St. (Tenn) went to the big house and beat Michigan. It happens!

Never? It happens several times every year. NDSU's record is 7-3 vs FBS including their last 5 games. They're also on a 24-game win streak. They're better than quite a few FBS teams.

fbsvfcs_chart.png

Even UNI is 10-24 vs. FBS: http://www.footballgeography.com/history-of-fbs-i-a-vs-fcs-i-aa/

I was a little surprised that the crowd enthusiasm at Kinnick was lacking until we needed to be enthusiastic. I agree with whoever had mentioned it before, but I felt like I was getting the evil eye for standing. I hope things are better at the Iowa vs. ISU game.

Congratulations on having no idea what you're talking about.

Do you not remember NDSU beating Kansas State last year?

We play NDSU in 2016, and that worries me. NDSU has a great program, FBS or not.

I'll glad they were in Ames on Saturday and not in Iowa City. 3 FCS NCs in a row, all double digit wins in the championship game, the last 2 were complete blowouts. This program has no fear of middling and lower tier major conference FBS teams and could probably beat many of them on the road.

Good FBS programs will beat them but this is clearly a great FCS program that has completely separated themselves from their FCS counterparts.

This was not the most demoralizing loss of ISUck... (if I may borrow that). I think if UNI played ISUck last Saturday ISUck would have lost. ISUck Clowns.... tee hee.

Congratulations on having no idea what you're talking about.

Do you not remember NDSU beating Kansas State last year?

We play NDSU in 2016, and that worries me. NDSU has a great program, FBS or not.

Wow, that really happened? I cant believe it!!!!.....seriously, some of you need to read. FBS "SHOULD NEVER LOSE TO FCS". I did not say it never happens. Does it happen? Of course it does, but it shouldnt. Teams schedule FCS to get a good warm-up game in, mostly to get a win.
So that being said, it is embarrassing that ISU lost last year to UNI, and got smoked against NDSU.