Iowa state rock bottom? and kinnick crowd

0-12 would be a thing of beauty. With a couple of off-season defections and subsequent returns after Rhoads begged a couple guys... things could get ugly fast. It's gotta be a fragile locker room.

They lost to the defending (and a perennial) FCS national champion. NDSU is a great team that has won their last 5 FBS contests. Not rock bottom.

They lost to the defending (and a perennial) FCS national champion. NDSU is a great team that has won their last 5 FBS contests. Not rock bottom.

True that. But they did lose at home and it was a stomping. Not quite rock bottom, but it's almost there and i'm giddy.

That game was no fluke. NDSU was way more physical and controlled both sides of the LOS. In fact, they looked more like a Power 5 team than ISU did.

I don't think ISU is rock bottom in football. They have been worse. At least their facilities are much more attractive. I know the Big 12 dollars are a plus that allows it to remain at the P5 level. If the revenue drops and athletes get cost of attendance stipends it could make things worse. They really have little in common with many members of their conference. If ISU and WV would go to the American Athletic Conference they would be better off competitively. It won't happen so the ISU will have to live with the decision to stay in the B12.

And a quick thought about our crowd yesterday. I was at the game, and I noticed that the energy and volume of the crowd was stale up until the 4th. I dont if everyone was nervous or what, but I assumed kinnick would be a lot louder during a close game. Bigger games I know itll get loud. Music was really good, Herkey looks sweet!

The crowd at the game wasn't your regular Iowa Crowd. I saw lots of very young kids and families. In my case my Dad gave up his tickets so my 5th grader could go the game. Way more little hawks present than usual. Happens quite a bit for Iowa home openers.

I don't think ISU is rock bottom in football. They have been worse. At least their facilities are much more attractive. I know the Big 12 dollars are a plus that allows it to remain at the P5 level. If the revenue drops and athletes get cost of attendance stipends it could make things worse. They really have little in common with many members of their conference. If ISU and WV would go to the American Athletic Conference they would be better off competitively. It won't happen so the ISU will have to live with the decision to stay in the B12.
This. I was in college in 80s. the 1985 and 1986 cyclone football teams were the rock bottom. Their stadium was completely empty and the only time they played on TV was when they played Iowa. Those years not a single starter for ISU would have made the Roster at Iowa at best their players would have not made more than 4th string. They were just horrible. The 1985 ISU Iowa game could have been 100-0. It was the biggest mismatch I have ever seen at the college football level. Heck even our water boys looked more athletic than some of their players.

ISU is wasting money on that stadium

One of the worst programs in college football and they spend Millions on the stadium. The unimpressive upgrade is poor money mgmt. Its like buying a 72 inch HD TV but not having it hooked up to Cable/satellite. I was in Ames last year for the game. I couldn't believe how dumpy the stadium is. The concrete is pretty crumbly and pock marked and the press box is stone aged. They need to put that money into cosmetic improvements not add seats. The place is just dumpy looking.

Re: ISU is wasting money on that stadium

One of the worst programs in college football and they spend Millions on the stadium. The unimpressive upgrade is poor money mgmt. Its like buying a 72 inch HD TV but not having it hooked up to Cable/satellite. I was in Ames last year for the game. I couldn't believe how dumpy the stadium is. The concrete is pretty crumbly and pock marked and the press box is stone aged. They need to put that money into cosmetic improvements not add seats. The place is just dumpy looking.

My little sister just started her freshman year at Iowa State. She doesn't have air conditioning in her freaking dorm room. The first week she was there it was 91 degrees in her dorm all night long. Miserable. If I was an ISU student living in those crappy dorms I'd say forget about this stupid endzone expansion at Jack Trice that isn't even going to get used, and remodel the places that we have to live!

NDSU replaced an incredible number of starters off of last years team. That is what makes their victory over ISU so surprising to me. This isn't the same NDSU team as last year....or coach for that matter. ISU just sh1t the bed if you ask me.

Since the announcement of Mark Mangino as O-Coordinator, I have been telling my ISU friends that the wrong coordinator was fired. Last season, ISU actually had one of their better offenses of the Rhodes/Chizek era, but they had their absolute worst defense! So ole Wally the defensive guru gets to keep his job, but the offense needs an upgrade? Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.

It's been said before but Iowa home crowds have way too many old people who complain when people stand up too much.

Trying to determine rock bottom or the most embarrassing loss for one of the 10 worst programs in the history of college football would have to be virtually impossible.

You mean the program Kirk is 7-8 against in his career at Iowa? We only beat the Clowns by 6 last year, I would imagine we won't do much better than that this year either regardless of how bad their team is.

You mean the program Kirk is 7-8 against in his career at Iowa? We only beat the Clowns by 6 last year, I would imagine we won't do much better than that this year either regardless of how bad their team is.

Dont look at KF's record against ISU when discussing if ISU is at rock bottom.

KF's first two teams, which were awful and then not very good, almost beat ISU and hung in their with them. 2002 go figure, there were a couple of other games the hawks really had no business losing to ISU at Ames (2005 and Chizik's first year) because of KF's stubborness to take the opening kickoff into the strong wind , get behind early, and not open it up.

Rock bottom is taking all things into account like UNI last year and NDSU this year gashing them for about 300+ yards rushing per game.

Iowa State fan pondering the loss to NDSU. "Well, they were National Champs last year...so we were ahead 14-0 to the defending National Champions, then our center got hurt and it cost us the game. The best thing about this is that teams make huge improvements between week one and week two, we are going to destroy Kansas State...we may be up 28-0 on them."

NDSU replaced an incredible number of starters off of last years team. That is what makes their victory over ISU so surprising to me. This isn't the same NDSU team as last year....or coach for that matter.

NDSU returned 10 of their 22 starters. 6 of the 10 coaches are new, but the head coach was their DC last year. Didn't miss a beat. Highlights from the beatdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOb4Fu-HHk

I agree with Oz, if you didn't witness ISU 1985, you don't know rock-bottom...

Last edited:
I just want to remind everyone that there are a lot of January bowl games, many more than there were in the past. Getting to a January bowl game just isn't what it used to be. I just wanted to remind everyone of that. Just a reminder.

Dont look at KF's record against ISU when discussing if ISU is at rock bottom.

KF's first two teams, which were awful and then not very good, almost beat ISU and hung in their with them. 2002 go figure, there were a couple of other games the hawks really had no business losing to ISU at Ames (2005 and Chizik's first year) because of KF's stubborness to take the opening kickoff into the strong wind , get behind early, and not open it up.

Rock bottom is taking all things into account like UNI last year and NDSU this year gashing them for about 300+ yards rushing per game.

I wasn't really alluding to whether ISU had hit rock bottom, I was actually referring to the quoted posters comment that ISU was "one of the ten worst programs in the history of college football." If they are, that doesn't speak too well of Kirk's record against them does it?

Re: ISU is wasting money on that stadium

crumbling concrete all over isu campus - around hilton, other buildings, etc. they have a real infrastructure problem.

Latest posts