Iowa State Is A Tire Fire

Okay, name the last time a P5 program hired a 64 year old. TT hired Mark Adams two years ago when Beard left them in the lurch and he got promoted from within to try and maintain consistency in the program. An external hire, taking over a program that will be gutted after this year by a 64 year old would be extremely rare. I can't think of a time it's happened.

I bet tricky Rick P gets a P5 offer and he's 70
Calipari could get an offer from a P5 team and he's older then Fran
Jay Wright could take any job he wants - he's 61
Mark Few could get a job anywhere he wants - he's 60
Bill Self could get a job anywhere he wants - he's 60
Bob Huggins could go get another job - He's 69
John Beilein could get a job tomorrow in college, he's 70
Tennessee hired RIck Barnes when he was over 60
Dana Altmann can go get a job anywhere - he's 64
Kelvin Sampson - 68 years old and has Houston #1 - bet he could get a job
Bruce Pearl - 62 years old - I think he could get a job somewhere
Jim Larranaga was 62 when he was hired at Miami

I would not have bet on Iowa having a better record then ISU this season. Once they lose to Baylor this weekend it will be 10 out of the last 12 games. I get they are a lock, but that's going to be challenged if they lose out.

I would not have bet on Iowa having a better record then ISU this season. Once they lose to Baylor this weekend it will be 10 out of the last 12 games. I get they are a lock, but that's going to be challenged if they lose out.

Theyre still projected as a 6 seed, it’s crazy

Okay, name the last time a P5 program hired a 64 year old. TT hired Mark Adams two years ago when Beard left them in the lurch and he got promoted from within to try and maintain consistency in the program. An external hire, taking over a program that will be gutted after this year by a 64 year old would be extremely rare. I can't think of a time it's happened.
Coaching would be no different than hiring other professionals. You want someone who can do the job you pay for experience. If you want cheaper you get less old.

How NCAA has changed has changed everything. The thought of needing to get a coach committed for 10 years is out the door and players can quickly change.

I bet tricky Rick P gets a P5 offer and he's 70
Calipari could get an offer from a P5 team and he's older then Fran
Jay Wright could take any job he wants - he's 61
Mark Few could get a job anywhere he wants - he's 60
Bill Self could get a job anywhere he wants - he's 60
Bob Huggins could go get another job - He's 69
John Beilein could get a job tomorrow in college, he's 70
Tennessee hired RIck Barnes when he was over 60
Dana Altmann can go get a job anywhere - he's 64
Kelvin Sampson - 68 years old and has Houston #1 - bet he could get a job
Bruce Pearl - 62 years old - I think he could get a job somewhere
Jim Larranaga was 62 when he was hired at Miami

Your point has merit, but ND would be replacing one 63 year old with another 63 year old. And the 63 year old you are replacing him with has a gigantic hole in his resume of never taken a team to the Sweet 16. Fran is a good coach, but that is a hard sell.

That being said, apparently Jbo on a podcast stated that he thinks Fran is gone. Conner liking tweets about his Dad heading to ND. This definitely has legs.

There is no way JBO could know if ND is interested in Fran. I cannot believe that Fran is such an obvious and desirable candidate that they have already decided that Fran is their guy, and have back-channeled and know that the interest is mutual. Gosh, ND, wouldn't you want to at least kick the tires on some higher profile and better candidates before zeroing in on Fran???? Again, I am not saying that Fran would not be a good hire, as I love him at Iowa, but there are certainly better resumes out there.

Conner is probably trying to help his dad get a raise! :)

Theyre still projected as a 6 seed, it’s crazy

Do you guys think that there is a huge gap between the B1G and the Big 12? The strength of the Big 12 is what is proping ISU up. The furthest they will drop will be an 8 seed, no matter what. It is the ugliest resume ever, but the metrics support their seeding.

Do you guys think that there is a huge gap between the B1G and the Big 12? The strength of the Big 12 is what is proping ISU up. The furthest they will drop will be an 8 seed, no matter what. It is the ugliest resume ever, but the metrics support their seeding.
Is seeding all algorithm-driven? Or could the committee say "Look, the computers say 8 seed, but they've lost 10 of the last 12 games and just dismissed one of their players", and then make them a lower seed or something? I have no idea how the seeding works.

lots of smoke -

Read Jbo said on a podcast this week he thinks Fran is gone
Doug Gottlieb saying he thinks is a done deal, he has connections to ND and Fran
Connor liking tweets suggesting his dad is going to ND could just be to be funny

just a lot of smoke I am sure.

I believe he is 64. There are so many great young coaches out there.....Collins at Northwestern actually seems like a better fit to me.

Collins has done a spectacular job bringing NW to this level

Impossible Mission at the start

They have been the monster in the basement for literally years

Basement GIFs | Tenor

lots of smoke -

Read Jbo said on a podcast this week he thinks Fran is gone
Doug Gottlieb saying he thinks is a done deal, he has connections to ND and Fran
Connor liking tweets suggesting his dad is going to ND could just be to be funny

just a lot of smoke I am sure.
I'm guessing if JBo said it, he knows something.

Maybe you weren't around, but I remember Lute changed late in the season his last year and after the loss in the dance, his interview was thoughtful and calm. I said to my buddy.....he gone.... and he was shortly after

Fran for his T's has been quite calm. He looked like a guy on Xanax during the ref showdown. His speech cadence and tone have changed. Not committing to "he gone", but something has changed.1677885697349.png
1677885740771.png

Last edited:
For the Big 12 this year I think it's a little overrated, simply because they have good noncon wins, but mostly as a conference they have avoided bad noncon losses. Not getting blown out also helps.

The Big 12 has 1 Q4 loss and 1 Q3 loss between all 10 teams all season. That has lead itself to a situation where there just isn't a bad loss to be had because they don't have these anchor losses messing up their whole season. There are only 12 Q2 losses by all teams in the Big 12 combined between conference play and the noncon, that makes 14 Q2 or lower losses from the conference as a whole. The Big 10 has 59 Q2 or lower losses.

The Big 10 has 4 Q4 losses, and 10 Q3 losses. Those are almost all in the noncon, and those just drastically impact your NET. And when that happens, you don't get the benefit of all of your games in conference basically being Q1 games. ISU has played 18 Q1 games and 4 Q2 games. Iowa has played 12 Q1 games and 4 Q2 games. That, along with the EIU loss, is why Iowa is still ranked behind ISU in the NET even though I would agree they are a much better team right now.
Thanks. I want you to know that I'm in no way arguing with what you wrote, but just my thoughts. I was reading up on it and it said that margin of victory/loss along with losses in general are factors, but who you beat is the biggest factor, which is why I wondered how and why teams get to a certain level, good or bad, and are considered good/bad wins/losses. They don't seem to slip away from that because they're all playing each other once conference play hits with no chance to play out of conference to help change that.

The problem with comparing conferences' Q2 losses is that the Big 12 has 3 teams that would be Q2 wins/losses and those would have to be those 3 teams at home. The Big 10 has 11 teams that would be Q2 wins at home and 3 of those would also be Q2 wins on the road, so there are more chances for Q2 losses. So they're going to get more losses obviously, because one team has to win and one has to lose and get that Q2 loss. So basically we're talking about almost any Big 12 win/loss, home or away, being a Q1 win/loss and almost any Big 10 home win/loss being a Q2 win/loss, with some road games being Q2 games. There are simply more chances for Q2 wins/losses.

Taking out the top team and bottom 2 teams in each conference (KU and PU seem to be head and shoulders better than the rest and the 2 bottom feeders were dropped as well), they all have similar records (Big 12 go from 6-11 to 11-6 while Big 10 go from 8-11 to 11-8) and the teams from each conference played an average of about 21 total Q1 and Q2 games. Of those 18 teams, the Big 12 has the top 5 teams, the 7th team, and OSU is down the list. If you took those 18 teams, would 6 of the top 7 teams be from the Big 12 and all 11 of the Big 10 teams be in the bottom 13? I guess it's possible, but I just feel like, having watched the two conferences this year, I'd have to say no.

As I said in my original post, in no way am I trying to compare the two conferences and I do feel like the Big 12 is better. What my point is, is that somehow teams from a conference get locked in to a certain range of ranking and won't move out of that range because of the fact that they're playing teams that locked themselves in as higher ranked teams. Because of this, teams get locked into certain rankings ranges, the Big 12 has only played 46 Q2 games, while the Big 10 has played 112 Q2 games.

A person could say that it will all sort itself out in the tournament and that the best teams will win, but there's a huge difference between getting a 4-6 seed and getting a 7-9 seed because it's really tough to get very far if you have to play a 1 or 2 seed in the 2nd round.

What my point is, is that somehow teams from a conference get locked in to a certain range of ranking and won't move out of that range because of the fact that they're playing teams that locked themselves in as higher ranked teams.

I agree. I was trying to say something like this. Iowa State is finally dropping some but it’s really only after the blowouts have started. It’s hard to drop if you’re playing all highly ranked teams.

Damn, ISU just smoked Baylor. Didn't see that coming.

Actually, you could see this coming. Otzenburger just rallying the troops around all the negativity. There really isn’t a big difference between ISU and a team like Rutgers, but everyone is in love with the Big 12 and the metrics support it. That win probably locks up a 6 seed for them.

Your point has merit, but ND would be replacing one 63 year old with another 63 year old. And the 63 year old you are replacing him with has a gigantic hole in his resume of never taken a team to the Sweet 16. Fran is a good coach, but that is a hard sell.

That being said, apparently Jbo on a podcast stated that he thinks Fran is gone. Conner liking tweets about his Dad heading to ND. This definitely has legs.
His age is less of a negative than his lack of success in the NCAA tourney

I'm guessing if JBo said it, he knows something.

Maybe you weren't around, but I remember Lute changed late in the season his last year and after the loss in the dance, his interview was thoughtful and calm. I said to my buddy.....he gone.... and he was shortly after

Fran for his T's has been quite calm. He looked like a guy on Xanax during the ref showdown. His speech cadence and tone have changed. Not committing to "he gone", but something has changed.View attachment 9917
View attachment 9918
Lute's last Iowa game was a regional semifinal loss in Kansas City.

He didn't even come back to Iowa with the team. He flew straight to Tuscon. It was spring break and many Iowan's were at the hotel Lute checked into and it didn't take long for him to get recognized.

The Des Moines Register soon caught wind of it, a simple third page headline "Report: Olson to Arizona". Next day it was front page news across the state.