Iowa State, 0-8 overall and 0-3 in the Big 12

Wow. Never thought I would see something like that. That's not good, for them or the sport.

I don't follow rasslin much. Can someone give me the cliff notes on how something like this happens. I know traditionally they are usually pretty strong, weren't they a top 5 program just a few years ago?

I don't follow rasslin much. Can someone give me the cliff notes on how something like this happens. I know traditionally they are usually pretty strong, weren't they a top 5 program just a few years ago?

Their Golden Boy, Mr. Undefeated, packs his bags and his recruits, and takes their talents to North Beach aka PSU, leaving ISU with next to nothing.

They just lost to Mizzou 35-4 or something like that. Ouchies.

And I'm blaming Jackson and the Big 12. Iowa State sells itself in the wrestling world, not a whole lot of recruiting should be necessary to beat the Armys and Bostons of the world.

Jackson has created an enviroment where excuses are okay. The Big 12 has created an environment where the Big 12 is now irrelevant as far as a wrestling conference, save OSU. Mizzou will have a good team, too bad they're leaving.

I used to watch Coach Nichols and Coach Les Anderson take kids who weren't studs or blue chip wrestlers, and turn them into national champions and olympic champions. Of course, Dan Gable was well on his way but still got better because of the coaching.

I used to watch Coach Nichols and Coach Les Anderson take kids who weren't studs or blue chip wrestlers, and turn them into national champions and olympic champions. Of course, Dan Gable was well on his way but still got better because of the coaching.

And then Dan went on to do the exact same thing.

This is the worst ISU team ever and Cale is only half of it. KJ isn't building wrestlers, period. There should never be this drop off at ISU.

I talked someone in the wrestling community who stated simply that KJ is a great guy but clueless when it comes to recruiting and coaching. Targeting guys who cannot qualify for D1 and offering scholarship $ to kids that nobody else would offer more than a walk-on opportunity.

During a recent high school tournament, a few coaches and referees were saying that Trent Weatherman and the Gadsen kid's injuries might be career threatening. Is that true? Gadsen was a "man-child" in high school. I was curious to see what he could do in the college ranks.

In the revised Big 12 aren't there just 4 schools left with wrestling programs, ISU, OSU, OK, and WVA? It looks like it will be tough to recruit when the conference has less than half its members without a wrestling program. To compound the problem the nearest conference member with wrestling is OkSU. Losing Missouri and Nebraska hurt ISU more than anyone else. This is not good for college wrestling.

In the revised Big 12 aren't there just 4 schools left with wrestling programs, ISU, OSU, OK, and WVA? It looks like it will be tough to recruit when the conference has less than half its members without a wrestling program. To compound the problem the nearest conference member with wrestling is OkSU. Losing Missouri and Nebraska hurt ISU more than anyone else. This is not good for college wrestling.

There are only 4 schools with wrestling in the Big 12 this year, ISU, OSU, OU and Missouri. Next year Missouri leaves and WV comes in so nothing different.

Besides the Big 12 had only had 5 since it was formed in 1996 anyway.

adding meeks and mccauley next year should help a lot. but this is a throw away season.

neither of these young men are ready to come in and compete right away for the clones. I would be very surprised if jackson was around to see the success they could have. Meeks is coming staright out of high school were he has been tested maybe 10 matches out of the 150 he has wrestled. It will also take some time getting used to the college class schedule and life. McCauley has been training at the OTC all year and will need time to refoucus on folkstyle wrestling, taking a year and training freestyle only will make your mat wrestling rusty no matter who you are.

Hopefully KJ realizes this and doesnt throw these 2 to the wolves next year.

Jackson has already named Destin McCauley the starter at 149 next year. By basically naming him the starter it shows one of Jackson's biggest faults.

He currently has a redshirt freshman in Cozart who was a big recruit for Jackson, but Jackson shows he doesn't believe in him by watching the last "ask the coach" and giving the spot to McCauley. Cyclone fans don't like Cozart's attitude, but he is also getting that same attitude from Jackson. So instead of creating depth I would expect Cozart to leave and this won't help recruiting for Iowa State as Brandon, Florida coach is Russ Cozart, and they produce d1 recruits consistently.

Latest posts