Iowa sends 20% of Iowa recruits to the NFL - Iowa State? 0%

Meaning they were misevaluated and poorly ranked to begin with. You can’t be a 2-star “projectâ€￾ and hit the field your first fall or even 2nd fall on campus and be a “projectâ€￾…

At least in my opinion

Oh yeah, I see you what mean. I don't know if it's a disservice or not...I don't believe it is for the coaches and people that matter, but I see your point.

Yet, Iowa State beat Iowa last season.. Are Iowa fans prouder of Iowa being a farm team of the NFL than Iowa's season record? Well, I'm not...

Last edited:
How many Iowa recruits did KF send to the NFL in his first 3 years at Iowa? Honest question, I have no idea what the answer is.

How many Iowa recruits did KF send to the NFL in his first 3 years at Iowa? Honest question, I have no idea what the answer is.

Austin Wheatly - 1999, 5th Round
Matt Bowen - 1999, 6th Round
Kevin Casper - 2000, 6th Round
Ladell Betts - 2001, 2nd Round
Aaron Kampman - 2001, 5th Round
Kahlil Hill - 2001, 6th Round

Austin Wheatly - 1999, 5th Round
Matt Bowen - 1999, 6th Round
Kevin Casper - 2000, 6th Round
Ladell Betts - 2001, 2nd Round
Aaron Kampman - 2001, 5th Round
Kahlil Hill - 2001, 6th Round

I think you misunderstood the question as I think the poster was referring to kids from Iowa. Either way, your information goes to show how we went from one or two kids getting drafted to 6+ with another 4-6 in FA.

On the talent side of the equation Kahlil Hill and Ladell Betts had some pretty good offers out of HS. I don't recall what Kampman had aside from the instate schools.

I think you misunderstood the question as I think the poster was referring to kids from Iowa. Either way, your information goes to show how we went from one or two kids getting drafted to 6+ with another 4-6 in FA.

On the talent side of the equation Kahlil Hill and Ladell Betts had some pretty good offers out of HS. I don't recall what Kampman had aside from the instate schools.

Yeah, I listed all recruits...so, going from memory, guessing here:

Wheatley, out of state (IL or MO)
Bowen, Illinois
Kasper, Illinois
Betts, Missouri
Kampman, Iowa (attended AP under coach Thomas)
Hill, Iowa (Iowa City, forget what school)

A couple thoughts pop in my head……

Gene Chizick had recruited a little talent and pretty much all cyclone fans had agreed at one time. I’m sure they tell a different story now. With that said Iowa was really at a slight to major down turn in 99 and by the end of KF’s 3rd year, they put….3 kids in the NFL. At the end of his 4th year, they put in 5. So if we are coach comparing PR is way behind and I don’t think they have 5 kids going to the NFL next year. Iowa went on to place 5 kids per draft for the next 2 years in a row.

2nd even in our down turn years we have put kids in the NFL….2006…2, 2007…3, 2008…. 3 more….all after what us Iowa fans have come to call disappointing years. Point being some of our very own fans called us talent poor back then and we most assuredly were not.

3rd I was on the ISU board a few years back when they were giddy about all the guys PR would bring in from Texas and Florida and I reminded them, with hard numbers that Coach Mac also brought in lots and lots and lots of kids from Cali, Texas and Florida and PR has had the same results. Mostly mixed results with kids having trouble qualifying, staying in school, getting in some trouble, etc…..

Point being Iowa continues to sign good football players. We had a bunch more contribute as frosh last year. Danny Mac actually signed some solid fballers himself, just not enuff of them…..it really remains to be seen how much talent PR is signing. Campos is a good recruit, but it will take a lot more than him and although I do agree we need to get the Iowa players we want, that has gone up and down over the years and we still seem to find football players.

What we really need is good leaders and character imo….

Last edited:
A couple thoughts pop in my head……

Gene Chizick had recruited a little talent and pretty much all cyclone fans had agreed at one time. I’m sure they tell a different story now. With that said Iowa was really at a slight to major down turn in 99 and by the end of KF’s 3rd year, they put….3 kids in the NFL. At the end of his 4th year, they put in 5. So if we are coach comparing PR is way behind and I don’t think they have 5 kids going to the NFL next year. Iowa went on to place 5 kids per draft for the next 2 years in a row.

2nd even in our down turn years we have put kids in the NFL….2006…2, 2007…3, 2008…. 3 more….all after what us Iowa fans have come to call disappointing years. Point being some of our very own fans called us talent poor back then and we most assuredly were not.

3rd I was on the ISU board a few years back when they were giddy about all the guys PR would bring in from Texas and Florida and I reminded them, with hard numbers that Coach Mac also brought in lots and lots and lots of kids from Cali, Texas and Florida and PR has had the same results. Mostly mixed results with kids having trouble qualifying, staying in school, getting in some trouble, etc…..

Point being Iowa continues to sign good football players. We had a bunch more contribute as frosh last year. Danny Mac actually signed some solid fballers himself, just not enuff of them…..it really remains to be seen how much talent PR is signing. Campos is a good recruit, but it will take a lot more than him and although I do agree we need to get the Iowa players we want, that has gone up and down over the years and we still seem to find football players.

What we really need is good leaders and character imo….

...back to the OP. There's no mystery here. Of the top Iowa kids, Iowa gets the lion's share and has every year since Hayden showed up save maybe 2, 3 at the most. And that is why Iowa gets more in-state kids into the NFL...they're starting with better talent. Nothing remains to be seen; KF is getting better Iowa talent than PR and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. There's no up and down about it with regard to Iowa kids. Iowa gets the best +90% of the time.

That's great.. I wish I could forget about the loss to the clones this year :(

While I do too, and the same goes for the loss to Minne someone referenced above…we didn’t!! And it’s not the worst loss in our history or college football history. Nor will it be our last….

Quite frankly I’m often surprised at others lack of appreciation for what this says about the Iowa program. It helps keep us relevant in the eyes of the media and recruits. It is an absolutely HUGE tool and vastly important to our long term success that we are still producing talent. So by all means be mad, but don’t pooh-pooh this piece of important program significance.

Austin Wheatly - 1999, 5th RoundMatt Bowen - 1999, 6th RoundKevin Casper - 2000, 6th RoundLadell Betts - 2001, 2nd RoundAaron Kampman - 2001, 5th RoundKahlil Hill - 2001, 6th Round
I think you misunderstood the question as I think the poster was referring to kids from Iowa. Either way, your information goes to show how we went from one or two kids getting drafted to 6 with another 4-6 in FA. On the talent side of the equation Kahlil Hill and Ladell Betts had some pretty good offers out of HS. I don't recall what Kampman had aside from the instate schools.

Kampman had offers from every school under the sun. I remember talking to him at track meets my senior year in high school, and he told us about his recruiting trip to Columbus and being led around by Andy Katzenmoyer. He was tempted to go there, but ultimately chose to stay close to home.

Honest question, who was the last player from the state of Iowa that didn't go to Iowa or UNI that got drafted. IDK the answer.

Maybe Justin Hartwig I know he was born in MN but I went to Jr High with him, hes lived in Iowa long enough to be from here sort of. He went to Kansas and was drafted by TN.

...back to the OP. There's no mystery here. Of the top Iowa kids, Iowa gets the lion's share and has every year since Hayden showed up save maybe 2, 3 at the most. And that is why Iowa gets more in-state kids into the NFL...they're starting with better talent. Nothing remains to be seen; KF is getting better Iowa talent than PR and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. There's no up and down about it with regard to Iowa kids. Iowa gets the best +90% of the time.

Maybe explains a little, but not the whole story. Even if you segment the data into star rankings, Iowa outperforms ISU in all segments.

Thought this was interesting given the Clones recent ability to actually pull a recruit or two away from us (Collin Bevins, and Barkley Hill - for a while).

Over the 2002-2009 recruiting classes Iowa brought in 42 Iowa guys, and sent 8 of them to the league through the draft (so far). Over the same period, the Clones brought in 50 Iowa guys, absolutely none of which got drafted.

This doesn't fix the losses to Minny the last two years, or the losses to NW over the years, but it does seem pretty pertinent to future recruiting battles in-state.

Paging Jake Campos - Black Heart Gold Pants

Maybe explains a little, but not the whole story. Even if you segment the data into star rankings, Iowa outperforms ISU in all segments.

All segments of what? Iowa brought in 42 Iowa guys. Iowa State brought in 50. Iowa guys got drafted and zero ISU guys did.

Why? Because Iowa started with the most talented players to begin with. This is not an apples to apples comparison. Use any date you like and tell me from that point which program got the majority of the top five (top 3, top 10 etc.) in-state players. That's the one putting players into the NFL.

Are you intimating that KF would be putting our Iowa guys into the NFL? Prove it.

Because the two are mutually exclusive.

On the contrary...they should be closely tied. That's precisely my point.

Jon posted a recent story which included a look at NFL placement to season W-L record showed IOWA to be one of the most under performing teams, based on it's NFL talent level.

Betting on College Football Coaches: Iowa

Stats can sometimes be deceiving, but in this case are quite clear. Iowa had the talent...but couldn't win with it on the field.

Jon posted a recent story which included a look at NFL placement to season W-L record showed IOWA to be one of the most under performing teams, based on it's NFL talent level.

Stats can sometimes be deceiving, but in this case are quite clear. Iowa had the talent...but couldn't win with it on the field.

Stats are only deceiving if they disprove your agenda or vice versa..... Incidentally a few years back, quite recently actually, a similar report was distributed far and wide that showed Iowa won more with less (per the recruiting rankings)………so really its just more of the same.

Weve won more in the last 10 years than any previous Iowa era…..

Made more money…

Had more Bowl success…..Sent more kids to the NFL…

Had waaayyy more exposure as a result of all of the above

And generally speaking the program is in very solid shape…

Yet the statistics show we suck…….

I’ll take another bowl of suck then I guess……:D

All segments of what? Iowa brought in 42 Iowa guys. Iowa State brought in 50. Iowa guys got drafted and zero ISU guys did.

Why? Because Iowa started with the most talented players to begin with. This is not an apples to apples comparison. Use any date you like and tell me from that point which program got the majority of the top five (top 3, top 10 etc.) in-state players. That's the one putting players into the NFL.

Are you intimating that KF would be putting our Iowa guys into the NFL? Prove it.

What about walkons and 2 stars? Thats what hes getting at with the segments comment.

Yes Iowa gets the highly rated guys from the state most of the time, but
Iowa has also put guys in the NFL from the state that Isu did not even offer, like Dallas Clark, Steinbach, Brandon Myers. Did ISU offer Julian Vandervelde? I don't know on that one.

ISU is not putting many walkon and 2 stars in the draft.

Iowas staff is just better at identifying and developing players that almost anyone else in the country but it doesn't seem to help them all that much in recruiting or W\L anyway.

The thing is... If you look at the number of players Iowa sends to the NFL you might think "well we should be winning like [insert consistently dominant football team here] with talent like that!"

However, IMO, all that really seems to be saying is: Iowa has some of the best players in the country (at their respective position) each year, but we are leaving out a lot of important factors that affect our Wins/Losses.

Position: This is more of a question, as I do not know the answer--but how many QBs has Iowa sent to the NFL in the past few years? How many RBs? How many WRs?
I can think of a few RBs (Greene being the most obvious), but when it comes to QBs... I can only come up with Stanzi and Banks off the top of my head. WRs- Well we have McNutt now, but I don't think we have sent to many WRs to the NFL in the past few years, if any.

Could our lack of elite talent (or the ability to keep the elite talent playing for the Hawkeyes) be a factor? I'm thinking it is, but I'm not really sure--I could be wrong.

This brings me to my next point:
Aside from the NFL-talent type players, how good are the other guys?
In football, you might have the 3 best players in the country on your team, but that doesn't mean you are going to win any football games. I think there have been a few years where we have had noticeable weak spots. If the other team is smart... they attack the weak spots and play away from our strengths.

That is why teams like Alabama, LSU, etc. are consistently elite teams in the nation--even if they don't necessarily produce more NFL players... they have a better TEAM as a whole. They usually don't have "weak spots" like Iowa and they have the depth to plug in the next guy and in most cases not see a big gap in ability/production/talent--Iowa doesn't have this luxury in most cases.

And don't get me wrong, when I say "weak spots" I'm not saying Iowa has "bad" players. My point is: you have to have a GOOD TEAM, not just 7 or 8 good/great individuals. You have to be solid across the board.

And I could be wrong, but that is one of the few explanations I can really come up with. Obviously we are probably better at almost every position than the Gophers and they still managed to beat us... so this clearly can't be the only factor, but I think it could be a big factor that gets overlooked often and lost behind all of the "Iowa sends x number of players to the NFL" talk.

I don't understand the point of the original article. It would be noteworthy if the results were flipped, but no one should be surprised that the bigger in state school with more football revenue and a better overall record couple with all of the advantages we have in the in school recruiting battle is getting more of the in state recruits, is getting the better recruits and subsequently getting them into the NFL more frequently.

It's BHGP, not that it needs a point, but it's a footnote article.

Latest posts