Iowa second youngest team in Big Ten.

My money is on our solid defense that our defensive coordinator has seemed to master.

It is our defense that has carried this program for years while our offense has been putrid. I would love to see Parker bring his spirit to the entire football team by becoming Iowa’s next head coach. I would fully support that as I am sure he would demand the same spirit of excellence out of the offense that he brings every year to the defense. Brian is in diapers compared to Parker. The problem is I am not sure Parker would be interested when KF finally retires.

Our team we be carried once again this upcoming season by our defense regardless of how young they are as a team. If Brian is going to bring it, it will have to be this season with a veteran QB and experiences offensive line. I hope he is up to the challenge and that we can have a break out season like we did in 2015. I am trying to be as optimistic as possible this year. The eyes will not be on the defense but as usual on the offense this season. Brian are you up to the task?

I can no longer understand the Brian hate, other than the nepotism charge, I can't see that he made the bone-headed calls last year relative to the previous year.. I get that the offense is ranked in the 90s'. But to me that is more KF than BF. Stanley lost that Penn St. game, BF called a great game, same with Wisconsin and NW. Short of KF turning the offense loose, and changing their entire scheme of; keep it close, make no mistakes and win at the end philosophy. Brian is doing a good job at least better than Davis and Ken O'Keefe did anyway.

I can no longer understand the Brian hate, other than the nepotism charge, I can't see that he made the bone-headed calls last year relative to the previous year.. I get that the offense is ranked in the 90s'. But to me that is more KF than BF. Stanley lost that Penn St. game, BF called a great game, same with Wisconsin and NW. Short of KF turning the offense loose, and changing their entire scheme of; keep it close, make no mistakes and win at the end philosophy. Brian is doing a good job at least better than Davis and Ken O'Keefe did anyway.
We’ll see if he can finally have a breakthrough season this year. With unproven TEs I think there’s a better chance of Brian opening up the play calling a bit.

I was surprised that the average age at Minnesota wasn't 12....
The problem with the "youngest team in the nation" excuse, especially when used so emphatically and so often like Fleck did, is that it's an excuse with a hard expiration date. He beat it to death any time someone criticized his coaching, and now he's got nothing else to explain his shortcomings. Not only that, but he's going to get retroactively called out for using a bullshit excuse all of last year.

The guy just needs to shut his fucking mouth, quit waving his hands, and stop all the vague, proverbial psychobabble that sounds like it came from some low-rent leadership conference. He's probably not a bad coach, but his mouth just makes him look like an idiot.

As in the business world, all the development/empowerment/small-quick-wins/baby steps/slogany bullshit is fine when you're successful, but when your results translate into loser city, it weeds out the hacks.

flecks.gif

EminentUntidyAlpinegoat.webp

fleck%2Bfinger%2Bspelling.gif

e0865408adb8ec43b265159adb5e83df

Last edited:

I suspect you are touching on a probable cause of our offense ranking so low among BSC schools. Ole pops won’t let go of the reins. I agree Brian is an improvement over Davis. Anyone could pull a play out a hat and be more successful than GD. This is what Brian’s third season? I’ll give a coach at the minimum at least two years to instill a new offense so players can learn and execute the plays. I expect things to up tick a bit this year and be better (giving Brian some credit there).

At some point there has to be a level of credibility that all assistants have to meet to maintain their jobs. I am for giving Brian even one more year after this even if he does struggle because I think it’s fair to give any coach the opportunity to recruit their type of players. Having said that, next season after this one is a must or bust for him. If we are still struggling to get into at least the top fifty after next season then it is obvious that nepotism is going on unless of course his is reassigned to other duties.

I seen enough improvement since GD left to think we will see even more success this season out of our offense as far as play calling and player execution. That is my hope.

Last edited:
The problem with the "youngest team in the nation" excuse, especially when used so emphatically and so often like Fleck did, is that it's an excuse with a hard expiration date. He beat it to death any time someone criticized his coaching, and now he's got nothing else to explain his shortcomings. Not only that, but he's going to get retroactively called out for using a bullshit excuse all of last year.

The guy just needs to shut his fucking mouth, quit waving his hands, and stop all the vague, proverbial psychobabble that sounds like it came from some low-rent leadership conference. He's probably not a bad coach, but his mouth just makes him look like an idiot.

As in the business world, all the development/empowerment/small-quick-wins/baby steps/slogany bullshit is fine when you're successful, but when your results translate into loser city, it weeds out the hacks.

flecks.gif

I totally agree and that applies to the Hawkeyes also in both of the major sports.

I’ve suffered through many of DECADES as a cub fan with the “wait for next year” syndrome. Glad to see the curse finally gone. Has Iowa City had a goat on the field? DAMN that ball just lying there on our player’s back against MSU in 2015. What a freak ass play. Maybe a goat curse??

flecks.gif

His future in get rich quick scam artistry looks bright.

So PJ Fleck can’t use the “youngest team in the nation” excuse 3,924 times this year for why his team sucks dogshit?

Glen Mason used to say the same stuff. A local columnist dubbed them "the perpetually young Gophers". Must be in the water there.

I don't necessarily think it's hate but rather disgust that the offense had struggled prior to his promotion and rather than going outside the program and finding someone with experience he promoted his son. Unfortunately anytime something plays out the way it did, it becomes a "you have to earn respect to get it" mentality. While Brian may be making minimal improvements I don't think he's at that point where he's earned anything yet.

Well, I seen on a interview kf said bf isn't arguing with him as much anymore. He said so that's good.
Read into that however you want.
Then he joked, of course he isn't talking to me as much either.
To me it seems that with the coaches all talking and visiting other programs from sec schools to the Patriots, they have a vision and are working towards it.
We should see results pretty soon, I agree.

I can't agree more on the Penn State game. I re-watched it earlier this week and boy did Stanley miss a lot of opportunities early which could have put the game out of hand very fast.

My main gripe against BF is not being creative enough on a consistent basis to get his play makers the ball. Some games he has done an outstanding job and kept the defense guessing but there are other games when it isn't going your way (which happens) he has shown the inability to think outside the box and get the ball to the play makers when he needs to.

An example is last years bowl game. Besides a few big plays the offense was stagnant. When he did get the ball to Hockenson he showed why he was the best TE in college. Why could he have not adjusted the scheme to do that earlier? Why could he not think outside the box and see Fant as not just merely a TE but a big receiver in some formations and had them on the field at the same time. The OC needs to be able to get all of his best players on the field at one time consistently and that is where he needs improvement.

I also feel that his creativity in the running game has been poor. I don't think there is enough variety in the scheme so it makes it easier for the defense. What I mean by that is there is a lack of misdirection, draw plays, pitch outs, quick pitches with OL pulling etc. You have the inside zone and outside zone or stretch play run most of the time.

For the most part out fundamentals are very good at all positions so when you have guys running great routes and blocking well and then break tendencies it becomes very difficult for the defenses. When you are predictable and the defense can stack the box or consistently guess your play options our advantages in technique and fundamentals is neutralized to an extent.

I still get a chuckle that people still don't understand the concept of ball control offense 20 years into it. Of course Iowa is going to "rely" on their defense, that is LITERALLY the concept of football our program runs.

We were hoping that our program would get away from using the ball control offense all the time. It's good to have options especially when your defense isn't getting the job done.

Latest posts