Iowa recruiting (at least) two Juco defensive players

Can someone name some JUCO football players that have had an immediate impact on D1 teams? I know Cam Newton but what about defense? I really don't know, I'm not knocking recruiting them I just haven't heard of many players coming from the JUCO ranks and making an immediate impact. Although, I think Fairley was a JUCO guy too, not sure.

I gotta say ... given the usual MO of Iowa's recruiting ... and given how we still seem to be sitting pretty well for the services of some pretty highly touted guys ... I am a bit surprised here.

We now clearly have some JUCO D-linemen on our board ... thus, the coaches clearly feel that the DL is going to need a lot of work in 2012.

Can someone name some JUCO football players that have had an immediate impact on D1 teams? I know Cam Newton but what about defense? I really don't know, I'm not knocking recruiting them I just haven't heard of many players coming from the JUCO ranks and making an immediate impact. Although, I think Fairley was a JUCO guy too, not sure.

Nick Fairley is a good example, as are:
Daniel Thomas, K-State RB 09-10
Terrence "Mount" Cody, Alabama DT 08-09
Tony Fein, Ole Miss LB 07-08
Marshal Yanda, Iowa OL 05-06
Aaron Rodgers, Cal, QB 03-04

Look up Kansas State under Bill Snyder.

end of discussion! :)

Iowa's recruitment of JUCO players has been pretty successful regarding them getting on the field and contributing. They don't do it, so when they do, I think they are pretty selective.

Marshall Yanda says hello!

Last edited by a moderator:
Juco is a great way to go. Its been the way of football the last few years. KSU, Alabama and I don't know a guy named Cam Newton. Glad Iowa is jumping on this.

It is sad Iowa is having to resort to Juco. With all the success this program has had and all the players getting to the NFL kids should be lining up to come here. It goes to show how bad the recruiting classes have been the past few years.

It is sad Iowa is having to resort to Juco. With all the success this program has had and all the players getting to the NFL kids should be lining up to come here. It goes to show how bad the recruiting classes have been the past few years.

Agreed. It also shows how poorly Nick Saban at Alabama has been recruiting that he keeps bringing in JUCO's. :rolleyes:

I suppose the question is how fast can you normally move a true freshman into the DL / DE positions. I'm guessing that doesn't happen too often considering most need a year to build up physically. I assume any JC candidate is physically ready to jump in and offer immediate help. The staff's game plan for moving some of our underclassmen into a starter's role probably started unraveling with injuries, departures, etc......doesn't leave alot of choices other than looking at some JCs.

Still doesn't explain why we haven't attracted and gained a verbal or two to date from some of noted high school candidates at these positions. So much for the enticement of early playing time with some of these fellas.

I like the way the coaches are thinking on this.

This year on both the linebacker and defensive line, Iowa has seemed like they were a player or two away from being decent to good. Then the injuries came and it made this even worse. Ferentz said as much during the Derby switch.

Plugging in a few solid JUCO players will allow Iowa's underclassman defensive linemen and linebackers (who are highly rated, but also young) to work their way into a high level of playing without throwing them to the wolves. It'd be nice to see a junior college defensive tackle get a look as well.

Also, it should be noted that these two recruits both seem to realize they are lower down on Iowa's recruiting list. If Iowa gets who they really want, then JUCOs might not be necessary.

The other day I said Iowa would go after 2 juco players. My comment was followed up by a reply saying "Not gonna happen"....just saying. :) I guess the world is coming to an end now that I had two predictions come true in the past two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoot27
I would assume we may look at bringing in a juco transfer

Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by goods10
We need 2 of them minimum.

Not gonna happen

Last edited:
Speaking of JUCOs.. How's Rodney Coe doing?

TOS mentions Unspectacular numbers and that he isn't giving it his all and has really bulked up.

Also feels the Iowa coaches aren't talking to him much anymore.. which is odd, considering it's the middle of the season and I'm sure there is plenty going on.

Either way, I like the mindset here.. and these JUCOs sound like they've got discipline.

TOS mentions Unspectacular numbers and that he isn't giving it his all and has really bulked up.

Also feels the Iowa coaches aren't talking to him much anymore.. which is odd, considering it's the middle of the season and I'm sure there is plenty going on.

Either way, I like the mindset here.. and these JUCOs sound like they've got discipline.

Sorry bud. We're busy over here in D1 football. Maybe get your grades up and you'll understand.

Latest posts