Iowa recruiting (at least) two Juco defensive players

Ta da!!!! Not saying they will work out, but we got to do something, otherwise next years O will be wasted. SO I am glad KF is atleast looking into it. It's not the norm and I wouldnt recommend it always, but a few here and there on a as needed basis is great.
I mean face it more kids are going to graduate and we are in need.

Last edited:

Agreed, this is a move that indicates the coaching staff is thinking about what we all know is true, THE CUPBOARD IS BARE at DL.

The thing of it is we will need more than 2 JUCO DL, unless McMinn, Davis, Hardy, Spears, Hayward and Trinca-Pasat are all monsters who just happen to develop to the point where Alvis and Nardo/Bigach are right now, and even then that might not be enough.

ALL HANDS ON DECK and even find some deckhands to rent off of "smaller" boats!

In my estimation we need 4 JUCO players for next year, two DE's and two DT's.

Wow. The sky is not falling. It's just a gap between young guys and the SR's. The young guys are getting play time and will get bigger and better, it's just that next year it would be nice to have more guys that have played is all.
Look thru the list at whos leaving and whos staying. Look at all the young guys on the list.
Iowa Official Athletic Site - Football

We are just young and need to bring in a couple with some experience, so we can get everybody up to speed. I think 2 is the perfect number.

Interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing a few jucos next year. It has become obvious we need immediate help. I know we have some young guys "coming up" but we need guys who can step in and play now.

Wow. The sky is not falling. It's just a gap between young guys and the SR's. The young guys are getting play time and will get bigger and better, it's just that next year it would be nice to have more guys that have played is all.
Look thru the list at whos leaving and whos staying. Look at all the young guys on the list.
Iowa Official Athletic Site - Football

We are just young and need to bring in a couple with some experience, so we can get everybody up to speed. I think 2 is the perfect number.

I don't understand how someone can follow Iowa football and declare that we are young on the DL.

Interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing a few jucos next year. It has become obvious we need immediate help. I know we have some young guys "coming up" but we need guys who can step in and play now.

I'm not convinced LTP or Hardy are flashing a lot. They are running 3rd team, behind a whole bunch of very average upperclassmen DL (Galigone, Forgy, Bigach, Daniel, ect . . .). Davis has flashed enough to get into some games, but not enough to move past the guys above. It seems LTP and Hardy might lack explosiveness, and Davis needs to learn leverage.

Probably too early to comment on the true freshman guys. Bring on physically/mentally mature JUCO DL that can come in the spring with a sense of urgency. We can be good next year, but we need a talent infusion on the DL. The back 7 should be solid. The offense should be solid.

well you can bet if they've identified 2 guys in JUCO in Cal, then they're certainly looking at defensive players at other schools

94 Riley McMinn 6-7/219 DE FR Rochester, Ill. (Rochester)
98 Mike Hardy 6-5/270 DL RS FR Appleton, Wis. (Kimberly)
58 Cameron Hayward 6-2/300 DL FR Independence, IA (Independence)
96 Joe Forgy 6-4/260 DL SR Iowa Falls, Iowa
91 Broderick Binns 6-2/261 DL SR St. Paul, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall)
90 Louis Trinca-Pasat 6-3/270 DL RS FR Chicago, Ill. (Lane Tech)
99 Joe Gaglione 6-4/255 DL JR Novelty, Ohio (Lake Catholic)
87 Thomas Nardo 6-3/277 DL SR Lancaster, Pa. (Catholic)
79 Dominic Alvis 6-4/255 DL SO Logan, Iowa (Logan-Magnolia)
75 Dean Tsopanides 6-2/240 DL FR Torrington, Conn. (Torrington)
54 Steve Bigach 6-3/282 DL JR Cleveland, Ohio (St. Ignatius)
97 Darian Cooper 6-2/280 DL FR Elkridge, Md. (DeMatha HS)
93 Mike Daniels 6-1/280 DL SR Blackwood, N.J. (Highland Regional)
71 Carl Davis 6-5/310 DL RS FR Detroit, Mich. (Stevenson)
58 Lebron Daniel 6-2/256 DL SR Cleveland, Ohio (Glenville)

Thats what I said. not to many JR's or SO's, hence the need for a couple juco's. You dont think some of those fresh are going to grow or get better? There is just to big of drop between SR's and Fresh. Just to be clear we are talking about next year, you understand.

Sheffield is from Aurora, Colo., and previously committed to Arizona State. But now according to Littles, Sheffield wants to explore his options.

Sheffield is 23 years old and a former marine who served two tours in Iraq.

“I recruited him out of the Marine Corps,” Littles said. “He definitely fits the size, weight and speed for (Iowa). and he seems like an Iowa guy, he seems like an Iowa fit.

I would take this kid in a heart beat, just on that information. He's a no-brainer.

Also, the most important thing I got out of the article is that they are both qualified to be at a D1 school right now. That means that both of them are eligible to transfer in for the spring semester.

Latest posts