Iowa realistic ceiling this year?

Jonrn

I know I know, Iowa’s leading scorers are all back, but is that really enough for a NCAA appearance? I don’t think the leasing scorers being back from a 4-14 team is enough even when you add weiskamp and Connor Mac.

I really see a .500 team this year, isn’t a logical step 4-14 to 10-10 with the expanded schedule?

Persuade me otherwise, I’d really like something to look forward to watching this winter.

We can be good if 2 things happen. One is Wieskamp being really good and the other is Bohannon's foot was the reason he was terrible on defense and it's fine now. If those 2 things happen we will be a completely different team.

I don't think it's asking too much to be .500 in conference. Anything less and it's probably time for a change. There's a decent amount of talent on this team, and if you don't produce it's probably time to find a coach who understands what defense is.

10-10 is realistic to what to expect but I believe the ceiling is higher than that. I think they have the potential to finish in the top half.

I know I know, Iowa’s leading scorers are all back, but is that really enough for a NCAA appearance? I don’t think the leasing scorers being back from a 4-14 team is enough even when you add weiskamp and Connor Mac.

I really see a .500 team this year, isn’t a logical step 4-14 to 10-10 with the expanded schedule?

Persuade me otherwise, I’d really like something to look forward to watching this winter.
If nothing else, you can look forward to seeing if an offensive coach can change his spots and start coaching defense. He knows what has to be fixed. He's said as much himself. Lets see if the results match his words.

Coming off one of the worst seasons in school history, an NIT berth would be a huge accomplishment and step in right direction. I don’t know how many wins that is but doubling conference wins would be a good improvement. Let’s not forget there are 13 other teams and many of them improved their rosters through recruiting or transfers and have better coaching.

I just don’t realistically see Iowa going from worst to NCAA Tourney in one year. That’s difficult to do unless you have blue chip recruits and are a blue blood.

18-21 wins

Likely NIT, maybe that is good enough for a 8 or 9 seed, possibly a play-in game.

BIG going to be better this year IMO...Out BIG schedule a lot tougher than last year.

I don’t see Jobo suddenly being a defensive stopper. I think Weisksmp will be a good addition. I don’t think he will be all conf level.. not this year.

We played a D3 school... tells me zero about this team.

BIG going to be better this year IMO...Out BIG schedule a lot tougher than last year.

I don’t see Jobo suddenly being a defensive stopper. I think Weisksmp will be a good addition. I don’t think he will be all conf level.. not this year.

We played a D3 school... tells me zero about this team.

Bingo!

Ten-ten in the conference will be very difficult, but possible. That would be a good season, as far as I am concerned.....

:cool:

Pretty low ceiling if they can't play defense. BTW, I miss the days when you could watch every Iowa basketball game on the tube and know what time each game was on.

Experience is important along with talent. It remains to be seen if the team will attempt to play defense this year. Baer and Garza where the only ones that gave consistent effort IMO.

Coming off one of the worst seasons in school history, an NIT berth would be a huge accomplishment and step in right direction. I don’t know how many wins that is but doubling conference wins would be a good improvement. Let’s not forget there are 13 other teams and many of them improved their rosters through recruiting or transfers and have better coaching.

I just don’t realistically see Iowa going from worst to NCAA Tourney in one year. That’s difficult to do unless you have blue chip recruits and are a blue blood.
Or be Tom Davis, with Bruce Pearl recruiting for you. In 1990 they went 4-14 in the conference and then had to replace Les Jepsen, Matt Bullard, Michael Ingram, Ray Thompson, and Brian Garner. Pearl, in his last recruiting haul for Iowa before he moved on, helped bring in Val Barnes, Kevin Smith, James Winters, and Jim Bartles to help fortify a class that already included early commit Chris Street. The next year was a wild roller coaster ride but they did make the NCAA'S.

I hope we either make the tournament or are so bad it makes the Fire Fran decision obvious. I can't stand the mediocre middle ground. I'd rather go 4-16 this year than 10-10.

Garza, Nunge, and Weiskamp were all players of the year in their states. Sometimes adding an element that is missing...whether it be a dominate rebounder, or a great point guard, changes the complexion of a team and gets them over the hump. What I think you have with Iowa is they have added a guy like Weiskamp who can do so many things...rebound, play defense, shoot, and create for others. He has a high basketball IQ. It adds a versatility at the small forward spot that we haven't had. This team is going to be a great three point shooting team.

If Garza, Nunge, Cook, Kreiner and Pemsl play physical...and we play better team defense...well...I think this team may surprise you.

Latest posts