Iowa ranked.

droidhawk

How long since we've been ranked? Anyone know exactly when we were last ranked? 8 wins was nice last year. Usually that means you get ranked. Whar happened?

seems like a lifetime ago...or two.

1921miami_ohio_wesleyan.png

Iowa could conceivably win out and end up with a very nice ranking. Most like a couple of losses left, which might still end up top 25 depending on whether or not there is a bowl win.

2008 was similar to 2013 in the sense that Iowa was not ranked when it was 8-4. But since the 2008 team won its bowl game it ended up ranked in the the final poll at 9-4.

The 2013 lost its bowl game to finish 8-5 and never got ranked.

I am guessin Iowa was ranked in 2010 up until the loss to OSU or NW.

o

2010 we were ranked 9th to start season and lost ranking after Minnesota loss, not been ranked since Nov 2010..

I'll be shocked if we ever get back into the top 20 under KF, our days of being a factor on the national scene ended on the fake punt in 2010. We're just playing out the string until he finally steps down.

I think the GDKF offense was in the 100s or so

Iowa shouldn't, and won't, be ranked this season.

Iowa's FPI is in the 60's. It still predicts 4 more losses: Indiana, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Even with the good defense, teams are still scoring within 6.6 of their ppg when playing Iowa. Iowa is averaging scoring 4.8 points less than the teams ppg on defense. Using those trends things look dire:

Indiana 23 - Iowa 25 W
Maryland 28 - Iowa 15 L
Northwestern 16 - Iowa 12 L
Minnesota 21 - Iowa 14 L
Illinois 19 - Iowa 30 W
Wisconsin 23 - Iowa 10 L
Nebraska 39 - Iowa 14 L

Iowa 6 - 6, 3 - 5.

I was really hopeful that CJB would put up more points in the Purdue game than he did. But while he is clearly the better option at QB, he still didn't move the needle ppg-wise. Iowa just isn't that good this year.

Iowa's FPI is in the 60's. It still predicts 4 more losses: Indiana, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Even with the good defense, teams are still scoring within 6.6 of their ppg when playing Iowa. Iowa is averaging scoring 4.8 points less than the teams ppg on defense. Using those trends things look dire:

Indiana 23 - Iowa 25 W
Maryland 28 - Iowa 15 L
Minnesota 21 - Iowa 14 L
Illinois 19 - Iowa 30 W
Wisconsin 23 - Iowa 10 L
Nebraska 39 - Iowa 14 L

Iowa 6 - 6, 3 - 5.

I was really hopeful that CJB would put up more points in the Purdue game than he did. But while he is clearly the better option at QB, he still didn't move the needle ppg-wise. Iowa just isn't that good this year.

Good analysis.

Indiana 23 - Iowa 25 W
Maryland 28 - Iowa 15 L
Minnesota 21 - Iowa 14 L
Illinois 19 - Iowa 30 W
Wisconsin 23 - Iowa 10 L
Nebraska 39 - Iowa 14 L

Iowa 6 - 6, 3 - 5.

Are you willing to wager any money?

Iowa could conceivably win out and end up with a very nice ranking. Most like a couple of losses left, which might still end up top 25 depending on whether or not there is a bowl win.

or we could conceivably lose every game since every game we play, regardless of how good the opponent is, the game will be close.

Are you willing to wager any money?

Oh yes, let's take my amatuer analysis and risk it being correct so that I can put money on a bunch of 19 - 22 yo kids behaving predictably /s.

I am merely pointing out that if the Hawks don't do something that breaks the trend on offense, they are in a bad way.

The defense would have to improve by a full touchdown against opponents ppg to get to 9 - 3 or 10 - 2. I just don't see that happening. Not because they aren't good, but because there isn't much room to improve from 17.2 ppg.

17.2 ppg given up is great, but Iowa hasn't played anyone that averages more than 24 ppg yet in this schedule. The offense must be fixed in the bye week or it could be a much longer year at Iowa.

Indiana 23 - Iowa 25 W
Maryland 28 - Iowa 15 L
Minnesota 21 - Iowa 14 L
Illinois 19 - Iowa 30 W
Wisconsin 23 - Iowa 10 L
Nebraska 39 - Iowa 14 L

Iowa 6 - 6, 3 - 5.

Well, there you have it folks. No need to play the rest of the season out.

Grab your rakes; that lawn could use a little groomin'.

Indiana 23 - Iowa 25 W
Maryland 28 - Iowa 15 L
Minnesota 21 - Iowa 14 L
Illinois 19 - Iowa 30 W
Wisconsin 23 - Iowa 10 L
Nebraska 39 - Iowa 14 L

Iowa 6 - 6, 3 - 5.

Nebraska isn't going to win by 25. You might want to re-throw the darts at the dart board or fire your monkey who is hitting the buttons.

Indiana 23 - Iowa 25 W
Maryland 28 - Iowa 15 L
Minnesota 21 - Iowa 14 L
Illinois 19 - Iowa 30 W
Wisconsin 23 - Iowa 10 L
Nebraska 39 - Iowa 14 L

Iowa 6 - 6, 3 - 5.

That is interesting. It also looks realistic and frightening.

Well, there you have it folks. No need to play the rest of the season out.

Grab your rakes; that lawn could use a little groomin'.

Not what I was implying. Just that improvement needs to be made during the bye on both sides of the ball. A lot of those closer games are winnable. Putting on my fan hat: I think Iowa can beat Northwestern and Minnesota, for sure. That puts them at 8 - 4, 5 - 3. Which is enough to keep the fanbase revolt from taking down Ferentz and get to an ok bowl game, but not to be ranked. Those Maryland, Wisconsin, and Nebby games are going to be tough sledding.

Frankly, with the offense we have this year 8 - 4 would be quite the accomplishment. The talent level just isn't where we've been told it should be this year. Which should be an indictment against Ferentz. This schedule is way too easy for me to be saying Iowa winning against Northwestern and Minnesota would be upsets requiring a 7 point swing here or there. (Like a pick six, blocked punt, kick return td, fumble near the opponent's goalline.)

Injury to Abdullah could change that game to a winning game. I would prefer a Hawkeye offense with a pulse to show up against Indiana for a full 60 minutes that scored 35 or more, with at least 20 in the first half. I just don't see that happening.

Latest posts