Iowa-Pitt Two Deeps

Really hope Bernstine can play this week. Also, is Carl Davis practicing yet or is he still injured?

Really hope Bernstine can play this week. Also, is Carl Davis practicing yet or is he still injured?

Davis was cleared to play last week. He did in fact see some action on Saturday. Not a lot, but he was definately on the field.

That's probably because he's sick. You don't get over strep very quickly.

Actually, my 2 year old gave me strep twice in about a 6 month period...both times it knocked me out pretty good for a day/day and a half, but I was back to 100% within a few days.

Of course my daily routine does not contain tackling other Div 1 football players! :p

My impression is that the last two recruiting classes have been strong. We already have some evidence of that in Morris, Coker, and McCall. The key is to retain these kids. This year may be bumpy but, I really think the overall talent is likely to rise the next two years and we'll be back challenging for conference titles in 2012 or 2013.

I'm not looking to get chastised about star rankings but if you look back at the 2007 and 2008 commits, there is a lack of "star" power after the attrition from the 2007 class. The 2008 class simply didn't merit many highly ranked recruits. Perhaps the ranking system has some merit after all. Obviously, having 10 walk-ons in the two deeps is not a path to success. It's always great to hear of a few Cinderella stories but 10 sounds like a few too many. The lack of success for this season may have been determined a few years back.

Actually, my 2 year old gave me strep twice in about a 6 month period...both times it knocked me out pretty good for a day/day and a half, but I was back to 100% within a few days.

Of course my daily routine does not contain tackling other Div 1 football players! :p

Yeah, treated with the proper meds, you should be back up and rested by day 3.

There must be a lot of guys not showing anything in practice. You practice well you get on the field and there are plenty of spots up for grabs. The fact Tobin and Coker are still starters is unreal.

10 walk ons...10

VomitingPumpkin.jpg

Jon
Like several have noted I don't get anything on the two deep chart.

A question. How many on the DL and OL are seniors?

IMO
Forgy needs to be in there somewhere, whether that is in place of Alvis i don't know but he showed the ability to get through the line a bit more than some others.

Is Tobin really our best option? He was a swinging gate on Saturday.

I haven't been impressed with Sleeper either, though he would have had a sack saturday on ISU's game tying touchdown if it wasn't for being tackled (no flag) on the TD pass.

We basically have no FB's.

At this point i'd like to see CJ in the starting role, herman has been non existant

How do we have so much success in recent years and find ourselves with this little amount of talent? It would be one thing if we had some awesome freshman ready to burst onto the scene, but I don't see any of that. Seems to me that we had a gap in player development that caught up with us.

How do we have so much success in recent years and find ourselves with this little amount of talent? It would be one thing if we had some awesome freshman ready to burst onto the scene, but I don't see any of that. Seems to me that we had a gap in player development that caught up with us.

This is the most disturbing thing to me.

The chart is not showing up because we have no one at No. 2. Everybody transferred after rhabdo and the Iowa State loss. It was just too much for some folks.

The chart is not showing up because we have no one at No. 2. Everybody transferred after rhabdo and the Iowa State loss. It was just too much for some folks.

After that epic fail on Saturday the defense (and I use the term loosely) in particular should be put through another rhabdolific workout.

Tobin is not starter talent at the guard sport at all, which is scary since nobody else can step up and over take him. Sleeper is a nice story and all, but not gonna cut it during big ten season. Lebron Daniel is not good enough at the DE position. Herman and CJ are not blocking very well at all and Herman is not becoming much of a threat in the passing game either.

Its either the coaches are not seeing any of the backups step up in practice (which is scary with the lack of talent on the field) or are putting too much emphasis on being an upperclassman.

Also, it looks like Norm and the rest of the defensive staff need to get back to basics with the players. Fundamentals are horrible, especially the tackling. Its like watching a little league football game with kids who are not used to tackling. Its the most gawd awful thing to watch this year. We probably couldn't tackle Okeefe for prez's MA right now.

OFFENSE:
WR 7 McNutt, 83 Staggs
LT 77 Reiff, 78 Donnal
LG 60 Tobin, 68 Scherff
C 53 Ferentz, 59 Bofelli
RG 73 Gettis, 72 Orne
RT 56 Zusevics, 70 Van Sloten
TE 39 Herman, 86 Fiedorowicz/85 Z. Derby
QB 16 Vandenberg, 17 A.J. Derby
WR 6 Davis, 11 Martin-Manley
RB 34 Coker, 3 White
FB 92 Gimm, 35 Meyers
DEFENSE:
DE 58 Daniel, 54 Bigach
DT 79 Alvis, 87 Nardo
DT 93 Daniels, 99 Gaglione
DE 91 Binns, 96 Forgy
OLB 45 Nielsen, 13 Donatell
MLB 44 Morris, 57 Davis
WLB 20 Kirksey, 31 Hitchens
LCB 28 Prater, 4 Bernstine
SS 10 Sleeper, 4 Bernstine
FS 18 Hyde, 5 Miller
RCB 2 Castillo, 18 Hyde
SPECIAL TEAMS:
P 6 Guthrie
PK 96 Meyer, 8 Mossbrucker
LS 61 Kreiter
HOLDER 14 Wienke
PR 18 Hyde, 7 McNutt
KR 6 Davis, 4 Bernstine

Although castillo should be playing club soccer for grand view , I didn't think he played all that bad.

Last edited:
Goes to show how bad our CB depth is with Castillo as the starter as we have all noticed. We really don't know how great Lowery is either, since we really haven't seen what he can do, once he gets back. I would like to think that he could get in there ahead of Castillo though because he just is not a starting D-I corner. Maybe a 3 or 4 type of guy.

Latest posts