Iowa Picked 5th by Big Ten Media

I like it, good place to start. I dont understand the sparty lovefest though. Not that they are in picked in first but that it was unanimous.

The two worst things about Iowas season last year was letting the games to sparty slip away.

I like it, good place to start. I dont understand the sparty lovefest though. Not that they are in picked in first but that it was unanimous.

The two worst things about Iowas season last year was letting the games to sparty slip away.

MSU was very good last year. Only player of significance they lost was Nix. Payne, Appling, Harris, Dawson, Valentine, Trice all back. Plus some very good freshmen added to that mix. They are a consensus Top 5 team in the country, that's why they are a unanimous pick to win the conference. I would be shocked if it's anyone but the Spartans this year in the B1G, barring injuries.

Losses to MSU certainly kept Iowa out of the NCAA. Win either one and Hawks are likely in.

MSU was very good last year. Only player of significance they lost was Nix. Payne, Appling, Harris, Dawson, Valentine, Trice all back. Plus some very good freshmen added to that mix. They are a consensus Top 5 team in the country, that's why they are a unanimous pick to win the conference. I would be shocked if it's anyone but the Spartans this year in the B1G, barring injuries.

Losses to MSU certainly kept Iowa out of the NCAA. Win either one and Hawks are likely in.

Did you mean barring injuries and arrests?

If those standings come close to the finish no one can complain about Iowa's conference schedule this year. They have H/A against the top 4 and do not play Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, or Nebraska twice. Iowa might have the toughest conference schedule this season.

If those standings come close to the finish no one can complain about Iowa's conference schedule this year. They have H/A against the top 4 and do not play Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, or Nebraska twice. Iowa might have the toughest conference schedule this season.

I agree. I have Iowa at 4th, ahead of Wisky, but they have a much easier slate, so if Iowa finishes 5th...very good season. I guess that the media is looking at Wisky's easy slate or just assuming that Bo will never fall below 4th, because they aint got the horses down low this year. Kaminsky, Dekker, and not much more.

Not much you can do when the guys in the striped shirts change the way they are calling the game.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

I agree. I have Iowa at 4th, ahead of Wisky, but they have a much easier slate, so if Iowa finishes 5th...very good season. I guess that the media is looking at Wisky's easy slate or just assuming that Bo will never fall below 4th, because they aint got the horses down low this year. Kaminsky, Dekker, and not much more.

I would have a hard time ranking Iowa head of Wisconsin. Last season was supposed to be the rebuilding one for the Badgers and look how they finished. They will still be jacking up 3s with Brust and the game at Wisconsin will be a wild one for Iowa with Uthoff in uniform.

I think we finish higher than Wisconsin and it will be between us and Michigan for 3rd.

That's my feeling as well. I think we can finish 3rd. Maybe 2nd if the refs start calling the serial mugging that MSU, OSU and Wisc always seem to get away with.

The Big media guys are probably closer to knowing the conference then the mags that generally have the Hawks 6th to 8th. I think this is a pretty unbiased and fair guess.

The key to the season will be if the Hawks have someone that wants the ball in the last few minutes and then is able to create and finish the deal. Obviously we feel Dev will be the guy with the ball, but IMO we have to make sure everyone just doesn't stand around and say go get 'em Dev. We have to get some good open looks instead of Dev backing his man down to the free throw line and putting up a contested prayer at crunch time. Our schedule is tougher and there are no gimme's in league play (save maybe Nebby who beat us last year). Our games will be close and I'd guess that with a year of experience more than one guy will be willing to step up and take the shot. Mike is our most likely candidate as Woody and Gabe will likely be on the bench and Aaron and Mel aren't knock down jump shooters. Jok and Uthoff may provide help, but are certainly unknown at this point. If open Zach will be ready. Who, if anyone, can deliver in the crunch is about my only question with this team.

The Big media guys are probably closer to knowing the conference then the mags that generally have the Hawks 6th to 8th. I think this is a pretty unbiased and fair guess.

The key to the season will be if the Hawks have someone that wants the ball in the last few minutes and then is able to create and finish the deal. Obviously we feel Dev will be the guy with the ball, but IMO we have to make sure everyone just doesn't stand around and say go get 'em Dev. We have to get some good open looks instead of Dev backing his man down to the free throw line and putting up a contested prayer at crunch time. Our schedule is tougher and there are no gimme's in league play (save maybe Nebby who beat us last year). Our games will be close and I'd guess that with a year of experience more than one guy will be willing to step up and take the shot. Mike is our most likely candidate as Woody and Gabe will likely be on the bench and Aaron and Mel aren't knock down jump shooters. Jok and Uthoff may provide help, but are certainly unknown at this point. If open Zach will be ready. Who, if anyone, can deliver in the crunch is about my only question with this team.

I really really hope Fran doesn't sit our true 5's at the ends of games again this year.

I really really hope Fran doesn't sit our true 5's at the ends of games again this year.
I don't think that will be a problem. Woody is a year older and wiser and in better shape. The Zombie really started to play some good ball at the end of last year and from the sounds of it has not regressed at all.

For the first time in a LOOOOOONG time, there is excitement in the air.

GO HAWKS!!!

I MaidRite this poll. Except I'd flip Iowa & Wisconsin.

1. Michigan State
2. Michigan
3. Ohio State
4. Iowa
5. Wisconsin
6. Indiana
7. Purdue
8. Illinois
9. Minnesota
10. Northwestern
11. Penn State
12. Nebraska

I don't think that will be a problem. Woody is a year older and wiser and in better shape. The Zombie really started to play some good ball at the end of last year and from the sounds of it has not regressed at all.

For the first time in a LOOOOOONG time, there is excitement in the air.

GO HAWKS!!!

I don't think it had to do with Woody not being in shape. I think it had to do more with free throw shooting. I'm not sure if that has significantly improved but I think it is still a risk we need to take because of the value he brings down low on defense protecting the hoop.

Latest posts