Iowa Picked 5th by Big Ten Media

I don't think it had to do with Woody not being in shape. I think it had to do more with free throw shooting. I'm not sure if that has significantly improved but I think it is still a risk we need to take because of the value he brings down low on defense protecting the hoop.
I didn't mean to imply that he was out of shape last year. Only that he is in better shape this year.

And I concur with what you say.

GO HAWKS!!!

I would have a hard time ranking Iowa head of Wisconsin. Last season was supposed to be the rebuilding one for the Badgers and look how they finished. They will still be jacking up 3s with Brust and the game at Wisconsin will be a wild one for Iowa with Uthoff in uniform.

Disagree that last year was a rebuilding one for the Badgers...they had 3 senior big men starters who started for multiple years.....if anything, this year is a rebuilding year with three new starters.

I don't think it had to do with Woody not being in shape. I think it had to do more with free throw shooting. I'm not sure if that has significantly improved but I think it is still a risk we need to take because of the value he brings down low on defense protecting the hoop.

FWIW Woody did make both free throws in the B&G blowout. They were both nothing but net.

It's hard to imagine Wisconsin not being weaker in their front line after losing three long time starters and replacing them with Kaminsky, who is a bean pole compared to the others.

Last edited:
The Big media guys are probably closer to knowing the conference then the mags that generally have the Hawks 6th to 8th. I think this is a pretty unbiased and fair guess.

The key to the season will be if the Hawks have someone that wants the ball in the last few minutes and then is able to create and finish the deal. Obviously we feel Dev will be the guy with the ball, but IMO we have to make sure everyone just doesn't stand around and say go get 'em Dev. We have to get some good open looks instead of Dev backing his man down to the free throw line and putting up a contested prayer at crunch time. Our schedule is tougher and there are no gimme's in league play (save maybe Nebby who beat us last year). Our games will be close and I'd guess that with a year of experience more than one guy will be willing to step up and take the shot. Mike is our most likely candidate as Woody and Gabe will likely be on the bench and Aaron and Mel aren't knock down jump shooters. Jok and Uthoff may provide help, but are certainly unknown at this point. If open Zach will be ready. Who, if anyone, can deliver in the crunch is about my only question with this team.

I think there will be some close games. I think there will also be a lot of 10 to 20 point wins. I'm talking in conference. When Fran gets that 11 man rotation set the way he wants...look out. When the game hits 8 minutes to go and opposing players are wanting to coast a bit for 2 or 3 minutes and/or coaches are looking to sit a top player in foul trouble and/or coaches try to get their stars a couple minutes of rest to keep them fresh and we just keep putting one fresh talented player after another on the floor...Iowa is going to put a lot of teams away. Run them into the ground and take away their will to win!

Disagree that last year was a rebuilding one for the Badgers...they had 3 senior big men starters who started for multiple years.....if anything, this year is a rebuilding year with three new starters.

You must have forgotten last year. It was not me saying it, everyone was saying they were no good and going on a losing streak.

Honestly makes no difference to me anyway. I have a hard time believing Iowa will come out of Madison victorious. But I've been wrong before.

The Refs beat the Hawkeyes more than the Spartans did in that BTT game. Probably happen again that way this year. Gotta protect the investment ya know.

While we are deep I think the wear 'em out factor is overrated in today's game of media timeouts, especially if the refs decide to enforce the new rules.

Latest posts