Iowa Pausing Ticket Sales for 2020 Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd even go so far to say it wouldn't be safe to send certain 3rd stringers out there. Can you imagine throwing some goofball true freshman QB on the field against a Penn State or OSU defense?

I bet an 18 or 19 year old Fryowa would have relished that chance, even if he was naive. I believe it was a Wisconsin game quite a while ago where I believe we had them down to the 3rd stringer. You do a lot of handing off.

Well since late Feb or early March it has been wise to buy that cancellation insurance for plane, hotel, and rental car reservations. Or buy some with no cancellation penalty.

I agree with you that this could get really messy. If your two deeps and starting 22 are always changing can even getting plugged by 3rd stringers are we really even seeing a fair schedule or an exhibition season where a bunch of players in their last year of eligibility just get lost in the shuffle.

Can we get that same policy for 2020? I'd be willing to pay about any deductible to simply get to 2021.

I think the contrary. we are gonna see that hey we got it and we are fine. If I was a 20 year old athlete this would be maybe number 100 of my list of 100 things I would be worrying about.

If you do the math from the Iowa data as of around noon today, the death rate of confirmed cases for those in the 0 to 60 range is 0.4%. So yeah it is more deadly than flu at say 0.1%, but it is lower than 0.4% because that is only confirmed cases. There was something like 21,200 confirmed cases in that age range. 88 total deaths. Of the 88, only 8 persons did not have a preexisting condition. At some point enough is enough and people revolt. Young people die of flu and we don't force vaccinate for flu or shut everything down. And I will say this, if there is no football then there cannot be in person school and that will crush schools. It is the in person school experience that will spread it if it is truly that dangerous to young people.

I think as an athlete my concern wouldn't be death, but rather being sick for a prolonged period of time in which there is no distinct time table for getting back on the field. If I spent 2 weeks in quarantine, I don't think I'd be ready to immediately regain strength and endurance that I'd need on game day. Also think I'd be worried, even if I didn't have it, if I was a QB and was worried about my blindside being protected by a 2nd or 3rd stringer or an OL that is just returning to the lineup after losing a decent amount of weight and just getting his legs back.

I don't think it has to be about worse case scenario, but rather how those that remain healthy will / may be affected throughout the season if there is an outbreak.

Can we get that same policy for 2020? I'd be willing to pay about any deductible to simply get to 2021.
I keep telling myself that 2020 needs to hurry up and get over, but I that’s making the assumption that 2021 will be better. I’m hopeful, but at the same time I have zero confidence in humanity as a whole.

I really do think there’s likely never been a more bonkers year in at least several generations.

When Kobe Bryant died I remember being at an indoor batting practice session and my kids mom calling to tell me about it. I thought, “Well 2020sure has started off shitty...”

Couple weeks after that my son ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks with a life threatening infection and resulting surgery (didn’t mention that on here at the time), my uncle had COVID and died, my son’s grandpa on his mom’s side same deal, NCAAs got cancelled, school got called off, then baseball, George Floyd got murdered and riots ensued, the Hawkeye football program got lit on fire, Doyle went from hero to zero literally overnight, and a million other things I’ve neglected to mention.

And it’s only fuckin’ June.

I keep telling myself that 2020 needs to hurry up and get over, but I that’s making the assumption that 2021 will be better. I’m hopeful, but at the same time I have zero confidence in humanity as a whole.

I really do think there’s likely never been a more bonkers year in at least several generations.

When Kobe Bryant died I remember being at an indoor batting practice session and my kids mom calling to tell me about it. I thought, “Well 2020sure has started off shitty...”

Couple weeks after that my son ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks with a life threatening infection and resulting surgery (didn’t mention that on here at the time), my uncle had COVID and died, my son’s grandpa on his mom’s side same deal, NCAAs got cancelled, school got called off, then baseball, George Floyd got murdered and riots ensued, the Hawkeye football program got lit on fire, Doyle went from hero to zero literally overnight, and a million other things I’ve neglected to mention.

Sorry to hear about your son. Glad everything worked out. I mentioned it in the other thread as well, but again sorry for your losses. As you stated, I keep thinking it's bound to get better, but it continually gets worse and were only at June. Maybe instead of searching for a cure, we start focusing on time travel. It may be best to go back in time at this point as the future could be very bleak.

I think as an athlete my concern wouldn't be death, but rather being sick for a prolonged period of time in which there is no distinct time table for getting back on the field. If I spent 2 weeks in quarantine, I don't think I'd be ready to immediately regain strength and endurance that I'd need on game day. Also think I'd be worried, even if I didn't have it, if I was a QB and was worried about my blindside being protected by a 2nd or 3rd stringer or an OL that is just returning to the lineup after losing a decent amount of weight and just getting his legs back.

I don't think it has to be about worse case scenario, but rather how those that remain healthy will / may be affected throughout the season if there is an outbreak.

And this is for certain a worse recovery than a bad cold or flu in most of these kids? Didn't Walter Payton run for damn near 300 yards against the Vikings with a 101 degree temp? Not saying it was smart, but I am not seeing the healthy people that contracted it dragging around like they are now 80 years old.

And this is for certain a worse recovery than a bad cold or flu in most of these kids? Didn't Walter Payton run for damn near 300 yards against the Vikings with a 101 degree temp? Not saying it was smart, but I am not seeing the healthy people that contracted it dragging around like they are now 80 years old.

I don't think anyone knows the severity of it, but I know there's been times I've had the flu and it took me a week or so to get back to the point where I felt like I could function again, let alone return to normal activities.

I don't think anyone knows the severity of it, but I know there's been times I've had the flu and it took me a week or so to get back to the point where I felt like I could function again, let alone return to normal activities.

Sure, but were you 19 or 20?

That's REALLY gonna piss off the blue hairs who like getting that paper ticket booklet in the mail every year.

This actually is funny and quite accurate.

when I was a kid football tickets cost 5 dollars for Iowa games. They were pretty small, paper tickets.

Later on Iowa started producing large, glossy full color tickets that were actually collector’s items.

Now with technology and smart phones there really is no need for a paper ticket at all.

I’m bald so all of the blue hair is gone.....but I do miss the big glossy paper tickets.

I'd even go so far to say it wouldn't be safe to send certain 3rd stringers out there. Can you imagine throwing some goofball true freshman QB on the field against a Penn State or OSU defense?
It happens almost every year somewhere. Last year, Northwestern was down to a 5th string walk-on QB at the end of the year. Purdue was also down to at least their 3rd string 3 QB.

I don't remember what team it was last year, but I was watching some game where they had a moved a DB to QB.

I don't think its all that unusual to have someone playing that probably shouldn't be.

Sorry about your son and your losses. 2020 can’t be done soon enough. And we still have bitterly divisive elections to get through.

upload_2020-6-22_23-58-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-22_23-58-47.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-22_23-58-47.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 2

you mean deuce? I think we beat penn state with deuce running wild.

This seems fair ... cases will happen. It will be how they are handled, whether athletes actually have symptoms, and how effective isolation/contact tracing work.

“There has to be some degree of risk tolerance that’s going to have to be in place,” Adalja said. “If we’re going to open colleges there has to be some understanding that we’re going to get cases. Hopefully, we’ll be able to keep them from causing outbreaks on college campuses based on other layers of mitigation that will be in place, meaning isolation and contact tracing, all of that.”

I bet an 18 or 19 year old Fryowa would have relished that chance, even if he was naive. I believe it was a Wisconsin game quite a while ago where I believe we had them down to the 3rd stringer. You do a lot of handing off.

I have a buddy who played MAC football and his team had a rent a victim game against OSU. He was a freshman and said he was praying no one got hurt because he did not want to have to play against them because they were so much bigger than he was. I would sincerely hope that anyone who is dumb enough to want to move from an underweight and not ready 3rd stringer to starter against a program like OSU is too dumb to get into Iowa in the first instance. Programs like Iowa and Wisconsin are really good and have some great players and have some freshmen who are ready to play (like Goodson or JT at Wisconsin), but OSU has a bunch of grown ass men who could walk out and play on Sunday immediately.

I have a buddy who played MAC football and his team had a rent a victim game against OSU. He was a freshman and said he was praying no one got hurt because he did not want to have to play against them because they were so much bigger than he was. I would sincerely hope that anyone who is dumb enough to want to move from an underweight and not ready 3rd stringer to starter against a program like OSU is too dumb to get into Iowa in the first instance. Programs like Iowa and Wisconsin are really good and have some great players and have some freshmen who are ready to play (like Goodson or JT at Wisconsin), but OSU has a bunch of grown ass men who could walk out and play on Sunday immediately.

Did you see the size of Matt Vandeberg the first time he got put in? I thought for sure someone would break him in half.

The only way you can play is with no crowds, a very stretched out sidelines and extended allowances for substitutions and testing of everyone several times a week. And if one player is positive you don’t play that week.

Which is to say just cancel the season.

And still I wait....and wait.....for a GOOD, INDISPUTABLE reason why the 2020 college football season couldn't be moved to the spring of 2021, when it's likely a vaccine will be available. The revenue would come into university coffers in the same fiscal year, more fans would show up in the stands, etc. Still waiting...

:(
There's going to hit a point where all these little outbreaks are going to be too much to manage and they're just gonna write the season off.

I mean, what happens when it's four days before opening day and 22 people on your team test positive all of a sudden? Do you cancel the game? Go through the huge mess of refunding tickets and parking passes?

What happens when your 1st and 2nd string QBs goes down with COVID last minute, do you send your 3rd out there to get his head knocked off and killed because he's not ready to play Big Ten football?

What about people who booked hotel rooms?

The other team you were supposed to play, does their season just get shortened by 1 game? Do they get a forfeit win because your players got sick?

What if you canceled a game and your opponent was in a tie for the lead of their division/conference? Are they fucked now because they had to miss a game for reasons outside their control?

If it's found out that hundreds of people get sick and trace back to the game, do cities or municipalities shut your games down outside your control? Who refunds tickets then?

These pockets of outbreaks are popping up way more often and all over the place. There ain't gonna be football this year, fellas.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! :(

If people who have been exposed to someone who has had the virus has to be quarantined for two weeks, that would mean the entire team and likely all the coaches.

So it’s either get everyone together like they used to do for chicken pox back in the day and get everyone exposed all at once, or it’s adios amigos for this season.

Covid Party at Kirk’s house!

Even though I am at high risk of serious complications or even death I’d give it a try if I get season tickets at the fifty yard line. Worse case scenario I die and then I can stand out on the field and trip Wisconsin players and cause a fumble or two every year.

It would also give me a chance to meet Kirk and thank him for signing a football for a young boy with cancer back in 2005. All the football coaches signed that ball that year.

I’ve always liked Kirk, it’s just that at sixty I am getting up there and am running out of kickoffs. Just once to make it to the big game in January and here those immortal words, The Iowa Hawkeyes are the college football national champs!!! Fifty three plus years of following the team finally rewarded.

Each year that goes by I realize it’s more and more unlikely, thus I vent on here out of frustration.

Each year that goes by I realize it’s more and more unlikely, thus I vent on here out of frustration.

You should have watched the '86 Rose Bowl with me and my dad. That would have dispelled you of any foolish notion that you'll ever see an Iowa natty in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.