Iowa Pausing Ticket Sales for 2020 Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Sell em all and then cancel/refund folks later if you have to.
I think it's clear that the stadium will not be at full capacity this year.

“With the current information available, we needed to pause additional sales and start focusing on reduced capacity seating models based on our season ticket holders. We anticipate finalizing this by late July and will share with our fans."

They are probably already oversold for what they have available.

What a mess. Clemson already has over 30 players sick with the virus.

this isn’t going to go well.
There's going to hit a point where all these little outbreaks are going to be too much to manage and they're just gonna write the season off.

I mean, what happens when it's four days before opening day and 22 people on your team test positive all of a sudden? Do you cancel the game? Go through the huge mess of refunding tickets and parking passes?

What happens when your 1st and 2nd string QBs goes down with COVID last minute, do you send your 3rd out there to get his head knocked off and killed because he's not ready to play Big Ten football?

What about people who booked hotel rooms?

The other team you were supposed to play, does their season just get shortened by 1 game? Do they get a forfeit win because your players got sick?

What if you canceled a game and your opponent was in a tie for the lead of their division/conference? Are they fucked now because they had to miss a game for reasons outside their control?

If it's found out that hundreds of people get sick and trace back to the game, do cities or municipalities shut your games down outside your control? Who refunds tickets then?

These pockets of outbreaks are popping up way more often and all over the place. There ain't gonna be football this year, fellas.

I feel pretty confident in saying if there are games, they will not be allowing media photographers on the sideline. I'm hearing the university photographers will take pictures and distribute them to outlets like HN. I would expect a lot fewer people in the press box as well and no in-person interviews with players and coaches. I think those might happen via Zoom.

What about people who booked hotel rooms?

Well since late Feb or early March it has been wise to buy that cancellation insurance for plane, hotel, and rental car reservations. Or buy some with no cancellation penalty.

I agree with you that this could get really messy. If your two deeps and starting 22 are always changing can even getting plugged by 3rd stringers are we really even seeing a fair schedule or an exhibition season where a bunch of players in their last year of eligibility just get lost in the shuffle.

Well since late Feb or early March it has been wise to buy that cancellation insurance for plane, hotel, and rental car reservations. Or buy some with no cancellation penalty.

I agree with you that this could get really messy. If your two deeps and starting 22 are always changing can even getting plugged by 3rd stringers are we really even seeing a fair schedule or an exhibition season where a bunch of players in their last year of eligibility just get lost in the shuffle.
I guess I was more thinking along the lines of, if you have a last minute cancellation or something that blows up a lot of peoples' travel plans, how long before you can't sell any tickets at all because folks don't want to stick their necks out?

If your two deeps and starting 22 are always changing can even getting plugged by 3rd stringers are we really even seeing a fair schedule or an exhibition season where a bunch of players in their last year of eligibility just get lost in the shuffle.
I'd even go so far to say it wouldn't be safe to send certain 3rd stringers out there. Can you imagine throwing some goofball true freshman QB on the field against a Penn State or OSU defense?

I feel pretty confident in saying if there are games, they will not be allowing media photographers on the sideline. I'm hearing the university photographers will take pictures and distribute them to outlets like HN. I would expect a lot fewer people in the press box as well and no in-person interviews with players and coaches. I think those might happen via Zoom.

I know its their job, but I have always wondered why this has not been limited and have maybe 8 photograhpers allowed access on sideline and press outlets have access to those. Talk about overcrowding, and I know the dang donors and such get their special access and I'd be fine with cutting that back also.

Nature is in control here, always has been and will be. There are too many variables and for me personally i don’t want to see greed win out over the safety of players, staff, workers, and families.

That doesn’t mean it stings any less. Even TV shows / movies are on hold which means you better be a fan of cartoons haha ;)

I am hopeful for a treatment before the season (i don’t mean vaccine), but each week that passes means it’s less likely.

2020 is probably a lost year, but rather than get upset over what you can’t control use it as a means to build gratitude for what you have. We’ll have football again, and for most of us we’ll be alive and healthy to watch. Know that there’s plenty who won’t get that chance

That statement is probably true, but it doesn't matter. It's all about optics.

I think the contrary. we are gonna see that hey we got it and we are fine. If I was a 20 year old athlete this would be maybe number 100 of my list of 100 things I would be worrying about.

If you do the math from the Iowa data as of around noon today, the death rate of confirmed cases for those in the 0 to 60 range is 0.4%. So yeah it is more deadly than flu at say 0.1%, but it is lower than 0.4% because that is only confirmed cases. There was something like 21,200 confirmed cases in that age range. 88 total deaths. Of the 88, only 8 persons did not have a preexisting condition. At some point enough is enough and people revolt. Young people die of flu and we don't force vaccinate for flu or shut everything down. And I will say this, if there is no football then there cannot be in person school and that will crush schools. It is the in person school experience that will spread it if it is truly that dangerous to young people.

I'd even go so far to say it wouldn't be safe to send certain 3rd stringers out there. Can you imagine throwing some goofball true freshman QB on the field against a Penn State or OSU defense?

Correct, and just look at the difference between Drew Ott stuck in their as a freshman vs his Jr and Sr years and Parker Hesse put in about 30 lbs lighter as a frosh when Ott got hurt. And Morris, Kirksey, and Hitchens were really pushed around that first year they learned on the job.

Nature is in control here, always has been and will be. There are too many variables and for me personally i don’t want to see greed win out over the safety of players, staff, workers, and families.

That doesn’t mean it stings any less. Even TV shows / movies are on hold which means you better be a fan of cartoons haha ;)

I am hopeful for a treatment before the season (i don’t mean vaccine), but each week that passes means it’s less likely.

2020 is probably a lost year, but rather than get upset over what you can’t control use it as a means to build gratitude for what you have. We’ll have football again, and for most of us we’ll be alive and healthy to watch. Know that there’s plenty who won’t get that chance

So you must want to shut down schools to then, because it is the dorm / in person instruction that will spread it. You think schools want that? They need the money for "education". How can there be kids on campus at all if we can't even have kids playing sports?

Hospitalization isn't necessarily a big part of the equation when you have coaches, support staff, professors and others that might be in their 50's and older in contact with them while they are infectious.

Voluntary to be there. Those that do not feel comfortable or have a condition need to stay away. Let the rest carry the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.