Iowa-Ohio St. Basketball Takeaways

Aren't we talking about ways Iowa can achieve more wins? That means increasing the frequency in which Iowa scores more points than its opponents in a game. Which means either increasing scoring or preventing the opposition from scoring as much. Either works. A dynamic guard who can penetrate and also contribute on the ball defense would help in both areas. I'd also say it is the type of player that best represents the gap between Iowa and Big Ten championship teams most years.

So, you give the PG rim buckets for 8-10 pts a game but may at the same time take away pts from a Murray or Sandfort, Dix, etc.. It's a wash to me. Also, Iowa typically makes more free throws a game than its opponents. That means they are forcing the defense, possibly driving and getting fouled.

Now, I will agree there are certain times in a game that a team may need to have a player that can drive and to the rim, like if the shot clock was running out or something, but with Iowa's style, they don't usually get deep and desperate to the end of a shot clock. Is there a reason to recruit a player just so you can get to the rim a couple times a game because the shot clock is running out??

Again, I think an inside presence may be more of a need going forward for this team.

I don't understand your obsession with this having to have a PG get to the rim point. Again, Iowa constantly leads the BIG in team scoring and hovers around 90pts almost every game. How many PG buckets at the rim do you think they need a game? Serious question as I am curious. In Iowa's game and with their scoring, what is an extra 8 pts going to do it at the rim?
When the 3s aren't falling it would be nice.

So, you give the PG rim buckets for 8-10 pts a game but may at the same time take away pts from a Murray or Sandfort, Dix, etc.. It's a wash to me. Also, Iowa typically makes more free throws a game than its opponents. That means they are forcing the defense, possibly driving and getting fouled.

Now, I will agree there are certain times in a game that a team may need to have a player that can drive and to the rim, like if the shot clock was running out or something, but with Iowa's style, they don't usually get deep and desperate to the end of a shot clock. Is there a reason to recruit a player just so you can get to the rim a couple times a game because the shot clock is running out??

Again, I think an inside presence may be more of a need going forward for this team.
We're kind of going in circles at this point. I'm not suggesting going away from the current style. And it's really easy for me to say Fran just needs to get a more dynamic guard. Obviously he has tried, as does every college coach every year. My overall point is that guards absolutely dominate the college game. It doesn't have to be a traditional point guard, but a guy who can control the game on both ends of the floor, including breaking down a defense with the dribble. All the better for Murray, Sandfort and Dix.

In fact, I'd say we experienced a little bit of it with Keegan last March. It was more from a point forward perspective, but he dominated both ends of the floor in some of those games. The whole offense was going through him. He could shoot the three, he could take his guy to the hole seemingly anytime he wanted, he could set his teammates up. For Hawkeye fans, it was like a goddamned magic act. How many times have we seen that? Lester, Woolridge...to lesser extent BJ and Oliver. It makes the game so much easier for everyone else.

Big guys don't really impact the game in the same manner - and Fran has generally plugged and played with some nice front court players over the years.

We're kind of going in circles at this point. I'm not suggesting going away from the current style. And it's really easy for me to say Fran just needs to get a more dynamic guard. Obviously he has tried, as does every college coach every year. My overall point is that guards absolutely dominate the college game. It doesn't have to be a traditional point guard, but a guy who can control the game on both ends of the floor, including breaking down a defense with the dribble. All the better for Murray, Sandfort and Dix.

In fact, I'd say we experienced a little bit of it with Keegan last March. It was more from a point forward perspective, but he dominated both ends of the floor in some of those games. The whole offense was going through him. He could shoot the three, he could take his guy to the hole seemingly anytime he wanted, he could set his teammates up. For Hawkeye fans, it was like a goddamned magic act. How many times have we seen that? Lester, Woolridge...to lesser extent BJ and Oliver. It makes the game so much easier for everyone else.

Big guys don't really impact the game in the same manner - and Fran has generally plugged and played with some nice front court players over the years.

Yea, I think we agree more than it looks in the previous posts. The game has changed. The 5 spot was the center of everything in the 1970's-1980's. Not so much now. Keegan and Kris have the perfect bodies and skill sets for today's NBA players. Fran has been fortunate in that regard. I mean Kris now is getting over 20pts a game, similar to his brother's scoring numbers, and Kris prob gets a few more rebounds.

I generally agree that bigs do not impact the game nearly as much as when Kareem was playing, but bigs still matter. Garza completely dominated the offensive side of the game for two seasons and he made a guy like Joe Weiscamp into an NBA draft pick by drawing double teams so often.

Latest posts