Iowa Offers Perry Ellis

Looks like a solid recruit with some other impressive teams interested in him. What are the odds a player of that caliber with offers from schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, and Oklahoma comes to Iowa? I know the saying is "go big or go home" and you can't shy away from players just because of the other offers they have, but realistically, how many people think our basketball team/program is in a position to win the commitment of a player also offered by teams with recent championships/final four appearances?

It's not all about the state of the program. That's part of the equation, but obviously FM can relate to players so maybe he feels comfortable playing for him, no matter the record. That'll be how we land the big fish.

some of these recruits may want to see how IOWA's 1st year goes .If goes as expected
they will be asking to be a HAWKEYE.

Tommy Hillfiger is a racist.
threadkiller.jpg

Looks like a solid recruit with some other impressive teams interested in him. What are the odds a player of that caliber with offers from schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, and Oklahoma comes to Iowa? I know the saying is "go big or go home" and you can't shy away from players just because of the other offers they have, but realistically, how many people think our basketball team/program is in a position to win the commitment of a player also offered by teams with recent championships/final four appearances?

I do, it isn't about the state of the program as it was before Lickliter got fired. The program is now stable and Coach Fran is offering top recruits left and right. It is about getting your name out there and this Staff is so different than the last two. There is a clear cut plan and they aren't afraid to recruit anyone, period.
Do I think there will be 4 or 5-star kids knocking down the door to get to Iowa, no, but it isn't out of the question to think that Iowa can't start luring some top talent back to a program that was one of the better teams in the Big Ten not so long ago and was constantly making the NCAA tournament.
It just takes one, one recruit can change things, but it takes a staff that is dedicated and works tirelessly to change the culture and it has already happened. The program is light years ahead of where it has been for some time. I am not jumping the gun when I say that because when is the last time you saw so many top kids even considering the Hawkeyes, not since the time of Tom Davis.

some of these recruits may want to see how IOWA's 1st year goes .If goes as expected
they will be asking to be a HAWKEYE.

Goes as expected as in 12-22 4-12 in conference (being generous prly)? Ya guys with offers from KU, MSU, Duke, NC, OK, UCLA, OSU I'm sure will stand up and take notice and be begging us to offer them...Were competing more with UNI/MAC schools than we are with these type of schools at this point...

Goes as expected as in 12-22 4-12 in conference (being generous prly)? Ya guys with offers from KU, MSU, Duke, NC, OK, UCLA, OSU I'm sure will stand up and take notice and be begging us to offer them...Were competing more with UNI/MAC schools than we are with these type of schools at this point...

If you think Iowa is only going to win 12 and lose 20 for the second consecutive season, you are wrong. Iowa will come close to playing .500 ball and have a chance at the NIT. Coach Fran is already building a good thing at Iowa.
Also, Iowa is not competing with those schools you mentioned, that is insane to think, but if Iowa were to get a player of Trey Ziegler (CMU) or Ray McCallum (Detroit) then I am okay with that. I don't know that any of the 2011/2012 kids Iowa has offered will end up anywhere other than Major conference play, so your thought is null and void. That logic is what is wrong with the fans today that is a thought that is believed and it is wrong. Iowa will be much better than expected and may win a couple games in conference they shouldn't. Where they will get beat up in conference is down low and the Big Ten will have 7 or 8 teams in the Tourney and will be the best conference. That is what is going to be difficult is matching up in the BT this year.
Recruiting will not hinge on this season unless Iowa wins less than 10 games, but they could have that before conference.

Quite a bold statement to say that Iowa will play close to 500 ball and call someone else out on their opinion being wrong. WAIT... please...don't write a 500 word response.

Sportstalent, Wow, you are on some good stuff my man. Ziegler and McCallum are coaches kids which is why they are going to the mid major schools. Iowa has a very long road ahead of it and any talk of the NIT seems a bit nuts right now.

I do, it isn't about the state of the program as it was before Lickliter got fired. The program is now stable and Coach Fran is offering top recruits left and right. It is about getting your name out there and this Staff is so different than the last two. There is a clear cut plan and they aren't afraid to recruit anyone, period.
Do I think there will be 4 or 5-star kids knocking down the door to get to Iowa, no, but it isn't out of the question to think that Iowa can't start luring some top talent back to a program that was one of the better teams in the Big Ten not so long ago and was constantly making the NCAA tournament.
It just takes one, one recruit can change things, but it takes a staff that is dedicated and works tirelessly to change the culture and it has already happened. The program is light years ahead of where it has been for some time. I am not jumping the gun when I say that because when is the last time you saw so many top kids even considering the Hawkeyes, not since the time of Tom Davis.

You should never argue with Mr. Sportstalent. He says the program is now stable, although it has not played a game since the coaching change. And he says the program is light years ahead of where it was due to the 36 offers that have been made, although none accepted.

I can sleep well tonight knowing that all our problems are solved since the last game.

People complain when we don't go after 4 and 5 star recruits and people complain when do go after them. Can't win with some of you. :rolleyes:

Latest posts