Iowa Offers Dual Threat IL QB

Here's the way I look at it: Peltz was the full-time starter last year and is getting MAC and FBS looks at QB. Thorson is good enough at QB that Wheaton North's coaches are willing to move a D1-level talent to play Thorson at QB. That's pretty telling.

good to know. jumper, what position do you see scheel at?

You people who say we never try to get dual-threat QBs forget AJ Derby played last year?

ajragecomic.png

Jake C, Drew Tate, Jason Manson, Eric McCollum, Arvell Nelson, Marvin McNutt, AJ Derby.

Were Manson and Nelson really considered dual threat? I don't recall. Neither seemed much more shifty than Stanzi or Vandy to me (not that we saw Nelson play in an actual game...lol).

Also, was McCollum brought in as QB or did he go directly to WR? Seems like he played WR right away, but maybe he came to camp with chance to play QB and found PT at WR.

good to know. jumper, what position do you see scheel at?

As mental as the QB position is at the college and pro level, I think it's really hard to say whether or not a guy has the "it factor" to play there without knowing him well (and I obviously don't know Scheel at all). I will say that they way he plays QB in high school reminds me a lot of DJK, so if he doesn't work out as a QB, I think he would make a mighty fine WR.

Last edited:
Were Manson and Nelson really considered dual threat? I don't recall. Neither seemed much more shifty than Stanzi or Vandy to me (not that we saw Nelson play in an actual game...lol).

Also, was McCollum brought in as QB or did he go directly to WR? Seems like he played WR right away, but maybe he came to camp with chance to play QB and found PT at WR.

McCollom was still playing QB his second year on campus. He was 5/8 for 87 yards passing in garbage time vs. Ball State in 2004. He had played a little WR before that, but he was splitting time until Manson distanced himself for the second string job.

McNutt was one, the kid from Glenville that got kicked out for drugs, can't recall his name. Don't know of many others, unless you include Manson and Tate

You shouldn't mention Manson and Tate in the same sentence.

For those too young to remember, Charles Manson and his people murdered actress Sharon Tate.

Find it a little difficult to believe Iowa has put much effort into recruiting mobile QBs in the past.....Banks looks more like an exception. Maybe the tone is changing with the Davis arrival.

You don't have to look far to find some decent candidates if you're truly interested in going that route. A lower tier program such as NIU has shown they can find pretty good ones. NIU's Jordan Lynch has put together two pretty strong performances against Army and ourselves so far this year.....as a recent example. His predecessor set all kinds of records and is still on the roster with the Colts. Northwestern finds them, so does MN, ISU, IN, and many others. It's not like we're competing with the powerhouses for some of these fellas yet they seem to provide their teams with that extra dimension.

Not saying let's just go get one for the sake of getting one but I don't believe they're any more difficult to find than a good 6'4" pro style pocket passer. There is a reason why more teams have gone this route in the last 5-10 years including our beloved ground pounding BIG.

Find it a little difficult to believe Iowa has put much effort into recruiting mobile QBs in the past.....Banks looks more like an exception. Maybe the tone is changing with the Davis arrival.

If you find that difficult to believe, then you're not paying attention. Keep in mind, in addition to Derby, the year before we had a commitment from Nate Scheelhaase, before he went full artard and drank teh Zookers koolade and ruined his football career.

If you find that difficult to believe, then you're not paying attention. Keep in mind, in addition to Derby, the year before we had a commitment from Nate Scheelhaase, before he went full artard and drank teh Zookers koolade and ruined his football career.

It was clear he hasnt been paying attention when he said the UNI Husky QB looked good against us. He had what four completions all game long?

They might have been classified dual threat on websites, but several of those guys were NOT a running threat!

I heard on Mike and Mike last night that Cuck Long's son is a Senior QB this year down in Norman OK. Don't know anything beyond that though.

I heard on Mike and Mike last night that Cuck Long's son is a Senior QB this year down in Norman OK. Don't know anything beyond that though.

According to this article, he's a "rare" 3-year starter for an Oklahoma 6A school, but he's not much of a prospect because he's too short for a D1 QB.

Derby - really believe Iowa pictured him at QB? Said we'll give you a chance at QB and he was soon after assigned to LB.

Scheelhasse - show me where we had a "commitment". He was offered early by Iowa, took a visit, and decided to play the field. Probably saw himself as a square peg in a round hole when looking at the Hawk offensive schemes.

Both players had an Iowa connection in their families.....doesn't show me that Iowa was focusing that much on finding a mobile QB just shows me that tried to capitalize on their possible leg up with family connections and close geography with a couple good players.

At best our history of pursuing with regularity a mobile QB is spotted at best.

It was clear he hasnt been paying attention when he said the UNI Husky QB looked good against us. He had what four completions all game long?

Took what the Iowa defense gave him and ran the ball pretty effectively....looked confident and nearly led his team to the upset......outplayed the experienced Vandenberg. Just received MAC Offensive Player of the Week award in his second game as a starter.

Derby - really believe Iowa pictured him at QB? Said we'll give you a chance at QB and he was soon after assigned to LB.

Scheelhasse - show me where we had a "commitment". He was offered early by Iowa, took a visit, and decided to play the field. Probably saw himself as a square peg in a round hole when looking at the Hawk offensive schemes.

Both players had an Iowa connection in their families.....doesn't show me that Iowa was focusing that much on finding a mobile QB just shows me that tried to capitalize on their possible leg up with family connections and close geography with a couple good players.

At best our history of pursuing with regularity a mobile QB is spotted at best.
We have gotten dual threat QBs, but we can't develop them. A few hits as in Banks and Tate. But the others crashed and burned as QBs. Is it the scheme that has made NW QBs successful. They just plug one in and they produce.

Latest posts