Iowa needs to offer Stoops before Ohio St gets him

..I don't see what high school kid who has dreams of playing in the NFL could seriously turn down the Hawks when you tell them flat out, "hey, we put more guys in the NFL than anybody else and here they are...."

Really? Do you live in Iowa? Go step outside. You'll have your answer.

It probably has nothing to do with the fact that a lot of kids like the big city life as opposed to living in a town of less than 75,000 either.

Really? Do you live in Iowa? Go step outside. You'll have your answer.

It probably has nothing to do with the fact that a lot of kids like the big city life as opposed to living in a town of less than 75,000 either.

Sometimes I think that people here really don't understand what the rest of the country thinks/believes about Iowa the state.

I don't get this big desire to be fiery. Some guys are too emotional and I wonder if they can keep their cool when the game is on the line. Tressel and Carr were never that fiery and they seemed to do ok. You could go on and add Tom Landry, Tony Dungy, Don Shula to that list. Acting like an adult and keeping your cool goes a lot further towards success than the up and down world of these coaches who wear their emotions on their sleeves.

If Norm Parker is coaching next year, It's going to be hard to be interested. We'll be getting the same thing.

Iowa is in desperate need of new on Offense and Defense. The ways of the early 2000s are no longer. Our offense is a decade behind, as well as our defense. And for this reason is why we'll keep slipping into the bottom tier of the Big 10.

If Norm Parker is coaching next year, It's going to be hard to be interested. We'll be getting the same thing.

Iowa is in desperate need of new on Offense and Defense. The ways of the early 2000s are no longer. Our offense is a decade behind, as well as our defense. And for this reason is why we'll keep slipping into the bottom tier of the Big 10.
In what way is our offense a decade behind?

Really? You might want to tell that to Wisconsin, MSU, USC, Stanford, VT, Penn State and a host of other schools that still run pro style offenses.....as well as the numerous schools that still run Cover 2.

MSU and Wisky both play traditional offense and run alot of cover 2. Hmmm.....playin each other in the B10 Championship. Get a clue.

Really? You might want to tell that to Wisconsin, MSU, USC, Stanford, VT, Penn State and a host of other schools that still run pro style offenses.....as well as the numerous schools that still run Cover 2.
Exactly. Regarding offenses, you can probably add Alabama and LSU (the likely BCS championship teams) to the list.

They were not good at times but this season falls a lot more on the offense than it does the defense...as always.

Apparently OSU is more interested than Iowa would be- it does not surprise me that OSU would be pro-active on this vs. Iowa that will "play out" the bowl game then make a methodical decision over the winter...

...disappointing but it does not surprise me.

At this point the D scheme does not bother me as much as the significant drop off in talent on the D side of the ball, surely Stoops could help with that, or any D coordinator capable of traveling for recruiting...

No we dont (IMO). Just because a stoops brother is available doesnt mean we have to hire him. We need to look at everyone out there (IF there be a job open) and get the best candidate for DC, not the best name available. IMO. THere are many coaches out there, and it doesn't have to be a stoops just because he is available.

Randy Peterson was on Murph and Andy today and said that Kirk will not be told what he has to do with his coaching staff.

Does anyone think this is news, or unique to Iowa or Barta? NO competent AD would do this, and any coach of integrity would quit immediately if it happened. The minute an AD tells a head coach he must hire or fire an employee, he's saying "I don't trust you to do your job" - and the responsible thing is to fire that coach right now.

The same applies to boards telling their CEO who to hire/fire.

It happens from time to time, but it's always a mistake. I can't think of a single case where it worked out - in athletics or in business.

Last edited:
No we dont (IMO). Just because a stoops brother is available doesnt mean we have to hire him. We need to look at everyone out there (IF there be a job open) and get the best candidate for DC, not the best name available. IMO. THere are many coaches out there, and it doesn't have to be a stoops just because he is available.
Exactly. I'm not sold on this guy, but if it does open up, Kirk will probably just hire from within anyway.

It happens from time to time, but it's always a mistake. I can't think of a single case where it worked out - in athletics or in business.
Here's an example from my area of the country. A couple of years ago, UGA coach Mark Richt fired his D-coordinator. This was shortly after the AD made a comment that some things needed to be addressed. Most down here believe that Richt was told by the AD to make a change. Georgia's defense (and their defensive recruiting) have improved dramatically over the last two years.

I'm sure others can point to similar examples.

Stoops may not be HC material but he was a very good DC which is what got him the HC's job,
not all coache are destined to be HC's
look at N Parker no telling if he even looked at a HCing position
but he has made one outstanding DC for his career

but in the end KF will promote from within. hiring Soup was a big enough shock to KF's system hiring a 2nd coach from outside, would be to much for his heart

Latest posts