Iowa-Nebraska to Play Friday after Thanksgiving

I'm surprised Barta & Co agreed to this based on previous comments, but I think its a great opportunity for Iowa.

I'd be willing to guess that in a lot of ways, this was out out of Barta's and Osbornes control.

Hell, Jim Tressel carries the most clout of any coach in the conference, and was very vocal about wanting to keep the conference schedule and 8 games. Still, it's pretty apparent that after this 4 years the B1G will move to nine.

This is great news!!

The friday after T Day only has a handful of games, mostly rivalry and this means a huge national TV audience, hopefully on free ABC network TV.

I'm not sure why people object to it, (mostly personal preferences and schedules I suspect) but it also does give the player and staff Saturday and Sunday for a celebration of T Day.

The women will be out shopping and the men will be watching the game.

I am of the opinion college football should always be played on Saturday...EXCEPT bowl games and the day after Thanksgiving.

Having a game on this day is HUGE for the Iowa program.

I wonder how many of those complaining are also those who won't go to weddings on days of Hawk home (or even away) games? If so....that would be hypocritical to say the least.

Well, we did lose to Minnesota the last game of this year, and should've lost to Indiana too. I'd love to be proved wrong on this after ten years.

And they got man-handled by a team they beat by 40 earlier in the season...things happen. I hope you're proved wrong as well! :p

I really hate this. I like many people have to work the day after Thankgsiving. Even if I can use a vacation day (which is very very questionable), I then have to find someone to watch my kids all day because my wife will be working. If it were played on Saturday like normal, these would be non-issues. I am sure there are thousands of other fans facing this same dilemma and it sucks. I have been to every game the last 8 years and only missed one in 11 years, but this move will put that streak very much in jeopardy and there is nothing I can do about. I do not like this at all.

I honestly don't see how this can be viewed as anything but good. For years, Iowa hasn't had a real rival in the conference. A lot of us (myself included) will say Minnesota or Wisconsin, but those two teams/fanbases hate each other a lot more than they hate the Hawks.

Auburn/Alabama is no longer on this day, and if Iowa were to play on Saturday, it would get lost in the shuffle of Ohio State/Michigan and whomever it is Wisconsin is playing that weekend. Iowa/Nebraska has the afternoon to themselves, on national television on a day where college football traditionally gets pretty good ratings regardless of who is playing.

In short, as far as the program goes this can only be viewed as a good thing.

I honestly don't see how this can be viewed as anything but good. For years, Iowa hasn't had a real rival in the conference. A lot of us (myself included) will say Minnesota or Wisconsin, but those two teams/fanbases hate each other a lot more than they hate the Hawks.

Auburn/Alabama is no longer on this day, and if Iowa were to play on Saturday, it would get lost in the shuffle of Ohio State/Michigan and whomever it is Wisconsin is playing that weekend. Iowa/Nebraska has the afternoon to themselves, on national television on a day where college football traditionally gets pretty good ratings regardless of who is playing.

This

Auburn/Alabama play on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I remember watching that game on CBS over the Nebraska/Colorado game on ABC as I knew it would be a better game.

Latest posts