Iowa Names Duke Slater Field at Kinnick Stadium

Like.

The next one should be Chris Street Court at Iowa Fieldhouse built on the demolished ruins of the Capitol Mall.

But anyway, yes...this is a kickass deal. I hope they put a display somewhere for Slater.

What a ridiculous career. College football HOF'er, NFL HOF'er, passed the bar while playing football, Chicago district attorney, state commerce commissioner, Chicago superior court judge....good lord.

Like.

The next one should be Chris Street Court at Iowa Fieldhouse built on the demolished ruins of the Capitol Mall.

But anyway, yes...this is a kickass deal. I hope they put a display somewhere for Slater.

What a ridiculous career. College football HOF'er, NFL HOF'er, passed the bar while playing football, Chicago district attorney, state commerce commissioner, Chicago superior court judge....good lord.

Will Kirk get anything? Keep the stadium name Kinnick(like). Keep the statute of Hadyen(like). Love that the field is being named after Slater. I am okay with Hawkins Dr. becoming Kirk Ferentz Way.:)

Not going to look it up, but isn't a wing of the children's hospital named after the Ferentz family?

Will Kirk get anything? Keep the stadium name Kinnick(like). Keep the statute of Hadyen(like). Love that the field is being named after Slater. I am okay with Hawkins Dr. becoming Kirk Ferentz Way.:)

Not going to look it up, but isn't a wing of the children's hospital named after the Ferentz family?
There is a room with he and Mary s name on. My youngest has been a patient in the room.

He can have the Kirk Ferentz Water Tower.

Like.

I've posted about half a dozen times that building a 10-12,000 seat deaf dome at the site of the Old Capifol Mall is the best idea that will never happen.

Facebook comments have been absolutely disgusting regarding this (I know, duh). So many against it, namely the Hawkeye Nation page, which is unfortunately named and has nothing to do with this site, or the University.

Facebook comments have been absolutely disgusting regarding this (I know, duh). So many against it, namely the Hawkeye Nation page, which is unfortunately named and has nothing to do with this site, or the University.
Yeah, I was on that page for awhile, but there are much better ones on FB.

I've posted about half a dozen times that building a 10-12,000 seat deaf dome at the site of the Old Capifol Mall is the best idea that will never happen.
Yeah I had seen that suggestion here but couldn't remember who posted it. Sorry I ripped your idea off, it's a good one :)

I guess there's been some pushback on social media over this. For the life of me I can't comprehend why. It's such a no brainer. It's a bigger no brainer then putting Eddie Podalak in the Iowa HOF which just recently got announced. And that shoulda been a no brainer 20 plus maybe 30 years ago I mean come on. Iowa is really slow at doing things in the recognition department. They did right by Garza as best they could with covid so there's that. But when it comes to Marble and some others for whatever reasons they just drag their feet.

I don't want to hear about Podalaks drinking issues.... If that is so dang bad then why's the school employed him all these years? And what's that got to do with his play on the field? He's as great of an ambassador the school could ever hope for and now that Fry is gone is pretty much the most popular larger then life living legend we have. Do right by him while he's still with us.

So I'm happy for the Slater family. Better late then never and I hope they are proud and happy to have this being done finally.

I suspect the school kept the field name open for so long in the hopes some big donor would buy the naming rights. It's totally free money, but my guess is no one came forward offering to stroke the size check that was necessary for it.

I suspect the school kept the field name open for so long in the hopes some big donor would buy the naming rights. It's totally free money, but my guess is no one came forward offering to stroke the size check that was necessary for it.
Hadn't thought of that... That'd have been shrewd but I bet you could be on to something. Good call. But man all these years that have gone by you'd have thought someone woulda by now. Barta is good at milking $ out of folks like he did for that couple that gave 10 million to sponsor the HC position. I think that's what that was for I'm not sure. but it was 10 large.

Yeah I had seen that suggestion here but couldn't remember who posted it. Sorry I ripped your idea off, it's a good one :)
No way, the idea of naming it Chris Street Court at Iowa Fieldhouse was yours all the way. I only suggested the location.

Couldn't make the deep sea fishing trip. There was a snag with the time of our Covid test that we needed to fly back to the states and we had to reschedule during the time the vessel was chartered.

Disappointing but one of the pratfalls of international travel. Those that did go caught about a dozen assorted small fish and I have otherwise had a blast celebrating our friends (bride and groom) wedding and a week of general tropical debauchery with a group of 32 family members, neighbors and friends.

No way, the idea of naming it Chris Street Court at Iowa Fieldhouse was yours all the way. I only suggested the location.

Couldn't make the deep sea fishing trip. There was a snag with the time of our Covid test that we needed to fly back to the states and we had to reschedule during the time the vessel was chartered.

Disappointing but one of the pratfalls of international travel. Those that did go caught about a dozen assorted small fish and I have otherwise had a blast celebrating our friends (bride and groom) wedding and a week of general tropical debauchery with a group of 32 family members, neighbors and friends.
Awesome.

All you’re missing in Iowa is heat, humidity, and wildfire smoke.

Awesome.

All you’re missing in Iowa is heat, humidity, and wildfire smoke.
Good rain last night in the Dubuque area and adjacent Southwest Wisconsin. Saw it on my app. They caught the tail end of a dericho that was strongest between Rockford and Chicago. Had some rain the previous night as well.

Will be interesting to see how different the Cubs look compared to when I left. We get back tomorrow and it could look a lot different.

Latest posts