Iowa-Minny prediction thread

docholihawk

Looking forward to the game on Saturday. I've had to miss several this year due to my priorities not being in order. Potato soup, chile and garlic bread with Bud. I think our defense stuffs the run and the Hawks win 31-21 in a game that's not as close as the score indicates. GO HAWKS!!! 7-2 on the year.

Number one I think the defection...the poor performance at Maryland...the calling out of their coaches has solidified this team. I also think it snapped something in the good captain's head. That being said Iowa 31 Minnesota 20.

Minnesota 27
Iowa 17

Hawks can't put two games together this year, and keep it close till the 4th quarter, where Minnesota makes a long drive for a td, then stop the Hawks last drive, and follow it up with another long drive for a field goal with a minute left in the game to seal the victory.

27-20 Hawks.....Run the hell out of that ball all day long.....I think the kids will bring it on Saturday, on both sides of the ball.....can't wait....

This will be close simply because both teams run the ball and neither team will get many possessions. My big question is can the Haws seal the edges and keep the run contained? I say yes. Weisman batters his way to 100 yards and Jake has a good game while the line keeps his jersey clean.

Iowa - 24
Minnesota - 10

Comparing scores, Minny beat Purdue by 1 at home, and PU is turrible. Minny lost to Illannoy, and Illannoy is turrible, Minny beat NW by 7 and we killed NW. They haven't beaten anyone of substance yet. Cobb's had a lot of yards, but those were in 4 games and they were against turrible defenses.

Iowa had an incredibly impressive outing on both sides of the ball and seem to have figured it out.

Because of the above, I predict

Minn 27 Iowa 24, because I've watched Iowa blow games like this one for too long.

I think the defense will be the deciding factor this week. If the weather is bad it will be all about limiting Cobb and their TEs (they have a stud at TE).

Normally minna is a good match up for us, especially when they rely on the run, but given recent performances against the rodents and inconsistent tackling this year, I'm more concerned than in the past.

I honestly don't expect quite the same offensive production as last week, although it would make me feel very confident going forward if we can continue with 28+ points. This might be the best defense we've played to date, which isn't saying much, but run game/crappy weather plays into the team they are currently.

Oline and Dine need to come up big this week!

Go Hawks...

I have no idea how this game goes after last week, Iowa has me totally confused. 2 things really concern me, first is Minnesota's rushing attack it scares the crap out of me and if Iowa LB are not playing at a very high level Saturday we are in big time trouble. The second is on special teams Minnesota's Kick/Punt Returns are well above average and we better be ready. I can see either team breaking a Kick return this weekend.

Last edited:
I think things are starting to click for both O and D. I say Iowa holds the rodents to 14 and Iowa scores 35.

Iowa 35
Goofers 14

Iowa has figured out the run defense and Minnesota will not/cannot beat Iowa through the air.
Iowa 34
Goofs 16

As for Minny's running game. Cobb has good numbers, but if you take the Eastern Illinois (14 carries-71yds), TCU (15-41), and Northwestern (30-97) games, he's gotten 209 yards on 59 carries for 3.5 ypc. Heck, if you take out the 1 long run he had against Illannoy (which I know you can't) he had 51 yards on 21 carries, for 2.4 ypc.

Team rankings rushing defense
Iowa--37th
TCU--41st
Northwestern--66th
Illannoy--123rd out of 124 (ahead of Troy), allowing 263 ypg and 5.3 ypc WOW!
E. Illinois--50th in 1-AA/FCS

His 3 biggest games came against Middle Tennessese St (81st ranked rushing defense), San Jose St. (115th), and Purdue (86th).

I'm not saying he's not good, but we can certainly slow him down.

Yes Cobb is good. But he is a between the tackles runner and that plays right into the hands of the Iowa defense.

Iowa 34
Minnesota 17

Yes Cobb is good. But he is a between the tackles runner and that plays right into the hands of the Iowa defense.

Iowa 34
Minnesota 17

Thinking the same thing added that their passing game is actually worse than Iowa's is. They make it interesting late, but Iowa still wins.

20 - 13 Iowa

I think 3rd down conversions are going to tell the story in this one, blitzing linebacker, pick him up Rose!
Hunter S. Thompson in Where the Buffalo Roam.

If you are one dimensional...and you meet a team that matches your physicality at the line of scrimmage...you won't fare well. If Iowa can make Leidner have to beat them with his arm...this is Iowa's game.

The team with the better passing attack is Iowa also and it's not close there. Iowa certainly has some decided advantages on offense and with the proper game plan, should put up points (i.e. throw the ball downfield off play action).

If we are good on third down, and don't turn the ball over...I'm not sure Minny can stay in the game. I look for Iowa to carry some momentum into Champagne next week. Iowa 31 Golden Goofs 13

110533_20130814_210238_download_%283%29.jpg

Latest posts