Iowa Men's Basketball Adds Two

Fran leaving two top 75 kids and this class of Freshman?
It'd be interesting to know what Frans mindset is. His baby will be playing high D1 ball somewhere for someone else and unless he's not coaching here he's only going to be able to watch him on TV. Maybe he coaches at Iowa another yr but if his kid is the stud many say he is then he may not be in college for 3 plus yrs for him to wait to retire later and follow him around.

But maybe that doesn't matter to him. Just feels like since he missed out on his other boys playing a lot of HS ball due to his career that being able to coach them both for 5 plus yrs was like making up for lost time. I get the feeling Fran already knows what his plans are this is something they've known was coming obviously. We'll know soon enough I suppose

It'd be interesting to know what Frans mindset is. His baby will be playing high D1 ball somewhere for someone else and unless he's not coaching here he's only going to be able to watch him on TV. Maybe he coaches at Iowa another yr but if his kid is the stud many say he is then he may not be in college for 3 plus yrs for him to wait to retire later and follow him around.

But maybe that doesn't matter to him. Just feels like since he missed out on his other boys playing a lot of HS ball due to his career that being able to coach them both for 5 plus yrs was like making up for lost time. I get the feeling Fran already knows what his plans are this is something they've known was coming obviously. We'll know soon enough I suppose
Not convinced Jack won't play here once the dust settles, but I also can't see him coaching and having Jack play somewhere else. So..... it will be interesting to see it play out. Those are 2 really highly rated recruits, and this years class was pretty nice too....gotta be hard to sell those guys with low NIL funds and no fan support. I feel fairly confident Fran has indicated he's not done.

Not convinced Jack won't play here once the dust settles, but I also can't see him coaching and having Jack play somewhere else. So..... it will be interesting to see it play out. Those are 2 really highly rated recruits, and this years class was pretty nice too....gotta be hard to sell those guys with low NIL funds and no fan support. I feel fairly confident Fran has indicated he's not done.
That'd be awesome if Jack would come to Iowa. I'm only taking them at their word so far that he's not... They have this yr to play out before the rubber meets the road on it. His recruitment will be very interesting.

That'd be awesome if Jack would come to Iowa. I'm only taking them at their word so far that he's not... They have this yr to play out before the rubber meets the road on it. His recruitment will be very interesting.
I'm assuming Jack just wants to play in a tourney game after the 1st weekend.

Fran spent his whole life not being able to watch his kids play sports. Not sure why we should think the last few years should be any different.

Fran spent his whole life not being able to watch his kids play sports. Not sure why we should think the last few years should be any different.
He coached PM and CM for the entirety of their college careers.. Assuming Pm doesn't transfer after this yr which he won't so not being able to coach and watch his baby would be a pretty big deal I would think. If he does decide to keep coaching and only watch him on TV mostly then maybe it's just not that big of a deal to him.

This reminded me of last weekend. I saw that Bob Stoops was in Chicago for the Iowa NW game for some reason... At the same time his kid was playing for OU and had his best game yet. I'm sure he's been to a bunch of his kids games but if your kid was playing D1 football and you were a retired rich former coach wouldn't you want to watch him? I'd be at every one of em unless I had multiple kids doing stuff at same time spreading me thin.

I wouldn't say this. They played local at IC West High School and I've personally witnessed and sat near him at many youth b-ball games and JH games. My son played on Jack's JH team back in the day. Now I agree, he maybe wasn't at every possible game but he went to them if he was around. At the same time their other two boys were either in HS or also playing the same time so they did what all families did and split up. There were times I'd just see Marge at the games.

When Fran chose a coaching career, 40 years ago, he knew-if never said-that coaching would almost always come before family time. It's the nature of the beast. He knows he's not going to see Jack play college ball and I don't think that would motivate retirement. Maybe for some guys, but not Fran.

While I find the Mcaffreys are somewhat helicopter parents no one as competitive as Fran is leaving to watch his kid play.

I’m not sure Jack comes here even if that incident didn’t occur. With how Patrick struggled with needing a mental break, or just brothers not always wanting to follow same paths another, there plenty of other valid reasons why Jack would want to go else where.

It is interesting speculation about how this impacts Fran. But at least he’s still putting in decent effort recruiting.

The biggest concern for the new AD is the lack of enthusiasm and fan support from fans. I see tickets through the Uof I ticket office still available for big games. This will ultimately get a coach fired. Down years happen, waning fan interest kills programs.

The biggest concern for the new AD is the lack of enthusiasm and fan support from fans. I see tickets through the Uof I ticket office still available for big games. This will ultimately get a coach fired. Down years happen, waning fan interest kills programs.
Nope.

Ironically WBB team had a sellout even with a bunch of folks traveling to Indy today.

Latest posts