Iowa looking at Indian Hills Juco

Nah, he would not complain much about this one as he would graduate with Marble, McCabe, & Basabe.

But that would only leave us with 1 ride to give for the class of 2013. I thought he wanted Fran to bank it or find the do it all transfer that has 1 year left that is going to lead us to an undefeated season and national championship.

Next year we are going to have:
1 SR - May
3* JRs - Marble, McCabe and Basabe
3* Sophs - White, Oglesby and Olaseni
5 Freshman - Woodbury, Gesell, Meyer, Clemmons and Ingram
We have one open scholarship remaining this year and another opening up after next year.

I am 100% on board with using the scholarship this year to fill any gap that we may have and to improve talent. If Fran feels we need another player (Juco or Freshman) then bring the kid in. This team is going to be chalked full of talent for the next 4 years - even if no other kids are brought in. That means team chemistry, an understanding of their roles, interchangeable parts and whole lot of success as they grow through coaching.

You also have to factor in the unknown. Injuries, transfers, academics, and quite frankly players not achieving their expected skill level. An active recruiter and great coach knows this so he's always going to have an ace up his sleeve just in case.

It's NITs this year and NCAAs for the next 3 years. Success builds success. Kids will want to come and play with a better team. We will no longer need the kid that wants to improve the program but will be getting kids that want to be part of the success of the program.

Rome wasn't built overnight. The KUs, Dukes, NCs, etc weren't built overnight.

*Yes there are other players in these classes (Stubbs, Stokes) but they aren't playing meaningful minutes this year so I wouldn't expect that to change as the talent level increases moving forward so I didn't count them.

Overall good post but man the bolded part is sure fun to read. This team should be a machine come 2013-2014 (Marble, Basabe and McCabe's senior year).

But that would only leave us with 1 ride to give for the class of 2013. I thought he wanted Fran to bank it or find the do it all transfer that has 1 year left that is going to lead us to an undefeated season and national championship.

You know I think you are right, I stand corrected. He was awfully worried about that class of 2017. Gotta keep these numbers nice and even. After all we are not good enough to get the one and dones anymore like we did with Ricky Davis. All our recruits stay 4 years and graduate.

Anybody know why he ended up at Indian Hills?
Usually grades.
Don't take going to Indian Hills as being not good enough to play though. Indian hills is usually in the top 5 nationally (often being ranked #1) and has several national championships in the past couple decades. I think they have put a few players in the NBA (after stops elsewhere). The players often move on to D1 schools.
I have been to a few games as I live in Ottumwa. Now I wish I had gone to see them this year.

Usually grades.
Don't take going to Indian Hills as being not good enough to play though. Indian hills is usually in the top 5 nationally (often being ranked #1) and has several national championships in the past couple decades. I think they have put a few players in the NBA (after stops elsewhere). The players often move on to D1 schools.
I have been to a few games as I live in Ottumwa. Now I wish I had gone to see them this year.

Actually it was not because of grades. Read the article that Columbushawk posted. He had issues with how he was being used at Dayton.

Iowa fan shouldn't get too excited about this one- he'll probably be a Cyclone.

You might be right as I did notice Iowa State was one that originally offered him.

Actually it was not because of grades. Read the article that Columbushawk posted. He had issues with how he was being used at Dayton.

You might be right as I did notice Iowa State was one that originally offered him.

Isn't his old assistant at UD now at ISU? They got the other Dayton decommit last season.

Also, does it make a lot of sense to bring in another player who's main goal is to play pg? Seems like someone will get mad if they aren't allowed to handle as much as they were promised.

Isn't his old assistant at UD now at ISU? They got the other Dayton decommit last season.

I don't know if that would help them, he left Dayton due to the way he was being used.

Also, does it make a lot of sense to bring in another player who's main goal is to play pg? Seems like someone will get mad if they aren't allowed to handle as much as they were promised.

I don't know what all Gesell was promised but he does not strike me as the type of kid that would get mad about this. If anything this takes pressure off him to come in and be expected to produce right away. This Juco would only have 2 years of eligibility remaining and there will be plenty of minutes to be earned at the PG position.

The more talented players you have at all the positions makes for better competition for minutes come fall. With Frans style of play you need multiple players at each position to keep them fresh. I do not think we have seen Frans style completely unfold yet as he has not had the horses to run the defense he has wanted to run.

Nothing in his stats excite me at all. Maybe we could see some more recent video of him?

I think he did shoot 40% from the 3 point line, which is not bad. But that FT percentage needs some work. It is tough to grade PGs just based on stats. How well can he handle the ball or his passing abilities?

Last edited:
Next year we are going to have:
1 SR - May
3* JRs - Marble, McCabe and Basabe
3* Sophs - White, Oglesby and Olaseni
5 Freshman - Woodbury, Gesell, Meyer, Clemmons and Ingram
We have one open scholarship remaining this year and another opening up after next year.

I am 100% on board with using the scholarship this year to fill any gap that we may have and to improve talent. If Fran feels we need another player (Juco or Freshman) then bring the kid in. This team is going to be chalked full of talent for the next 4 years - even if no other kids are brought in. That means team chemistry, an understanding of their roles, interchangeable parts and whole lot of success as they grow through coaching.

You also have to factor in the unknown. Injuries, transfers, academics, and quite frankly players not achieving their expected skill level. An active recruiter and great coach knows this so he's always going to have an ace up his sleeve just in case.

It's NITs this year and NCAAs for the next 3 years. Success builds success. Kids will want to come and play with a better team. We will no longer need the kid that wants to improve the program but will be getting kids that want to be part of the success of the program.

Rome wasn't built overnight. The KUs, Dukes, NCs, etc weren't built overnight.

*Yes there are other players in these classes (Stubbs, Stokes) but they aren't playing meaningful minutes this year so I wouldn't expect that to change as the talent level increases moving forward so I didn't count them.

I think the only thing I disagree with here is your take on Stokes. He's not a major contributor on the Big Ten level right now, but he is a guy who I think actually has some potential. Probably won't be until his junior or senior year, but I think eventually he might be able to be a good role player as the second or third guy off the bench.

looks like he only shot 30% from the 3 with like 150 attempts.

nothing is off the charts with his stats but there must be something he can bring that Fran likes or he wouldn't hold an offer.

We would do well to get at more of the talent that comes through Indian Skills. There has been more bball talent go through there than Iowa the last decade or so.

We would do well to get at more of the talent that comes through Indian Skills. There has been more bball talent go through there than Iowa the last decade or so.

I don't know who else has gone through there, but Ali Farokhmanesh played there his freshman or sophomore year (I can't remember which, he played the other year at Kirkwood).

I am very open to a juco wing....we need a mature athletic wing that can play immediately. I am just not sold on our 1-3 positions for next year,and we cannot be waiting around for another year. A possible side-benefit to Spearman is that he is out of Simeon HS in Chicago, a bb powerhouse that just churns out top rated players year after year. We are recruiting junior small forward Kenneth Pollard out of there right now. It would be nice to establish a little Simeon pipeline.

I don't know who else has gone through there, but Ali Farokhmanesh played there his freshman or sophomore year (I can't remember which, he played the other year at Kirkwood).

Iowa got Chauncey Leslie from Indian Hills. There have been a bunch of players from Indian Hills that went on to play D1, many to Iowa State. A few of their players have went on to play professionally, Johnny Taylor was drafted in the 1st round back in 97.

I can't say I'm to excited about him. Highlight video was good but then again you have to remember... it's a highlight film. Stats were meh. I would rather have Fran bank the scholly to use next year.

They've always had a strong basketball tradition. Ernest Brown, CJ Bruton, and Corey Hightower come to mind as guys who went there.

I had a friend who played at Indian Hills from 95-97 and Kevin Garnett took a visit there before going pro.

Latest posts