Iowa looked very good against a good team

hawkinn3

TTU is a veteran team with a very good coach and I take much more positives from this game. I figured they would be able to get a few passing plays on us but our 1st team D was a rock.

Defense-Better than expected and they look very fast compared to last year. Tons of pressure up front and the fastest LB core I have seen in a long time. We are going to eat up spreads all year. The DBs hardly had to do any work and Prater had a huge interception.

Offense-Line is big and mean and as expected. Vandy played great, no mistakes and nothing looked forced or rushed. RB, Coker will be a great player, it was raining like hell and he had not been hit in a long time. Also, when did McNutt get so damn fast? Looks great out there. My only concern is drops.

Overall impressive game. Watch TTU over the season and youll see how good they are, this was not a typical cupcake.

TTU is a veteran team with a very good coach and I take much more positives from this game. I figured they would be able to get a few passing plays on us but our 1st team D was a rock.

Defense-Better than expected and they look very fast compared to last year. Tons of pressure up front and the fastest LB core I have seen in a long time. We are going to eat up spreads all year. The DBs hardly had to do any work and Prater had a huge interception.

Offense-Line is big and mean and as expected. Vandy played great, no mistakes and nothing looked forced or rushed. RB, Coker will be a great player, it was raining like hell and he had not been hit in a long time. Also, when did McNutt get so damn fast? Looks great out there. My only concern is drops.

Overall impressive game. Watch TTU over the season and youll see how good they are, this was not a typical cupcake.

Running game looked awful minus McCall. Unfortunately we won't see him again this season. I'd say we looked average against a bad team. TT was worse than I thought.

Running game looked awful minus McCall. Unfortunately we won't see him again this season. I'd say we looked average against a bad team. TT was worse than I thought.

Just average? I thought Iowa looked very good against a BAD team so it's what I had expected. When you say running game looked awful do u mean just Coker's fumbles? because then I would agree. Otherwise in every other facet of the running game; blocking, choosing the right whole, and making cuts Coker looked fine as did McCall.

You can not come to a conclusion in this kind of game nor will we against ULM. Once we play Pitt I think it's more of a time to gauge what Iowa will be like and what they need to work on. TT is bad, it was a downpour, and the first game of the year, if you think you can come to any solid conclusions out of this game your crazy.

Only conclusion I can come to out of this is that losing McCall for the year is going to suck and RB depth already is starting to be an issue.

Predictable post...

I think there are far more positives to take away from this game than negatives. Running back will be fine. Receiving will be very good. Tightends will be very good. O-line will be very good. D-line was very stout today and held their own. Linebackers and other D-backs will be solid as well.

Just need to put everything together each game and the Hawks will end the year in the top 20 and maybe even in the top 10. Yes, you heard it hear first...

It's the first game, nothing is probably as good or as bad as it seems. Coker didn't suddenly lose talent. He'll be okay as long as the fumbles don't mess with his head.

Overall I thought it was a pretty productive practice that counts as a win.

TT runs an up tempo offense with a jitterbug QB that Iowa will see a lot of this season. Much rather Iowa play a bad team like this than a bad team that runs a prostyle offense that few teams have.

That being said, TT isn't a good FCS team. Iowa will be taking a huge step up in class the next two games and into the B10 season.

Man you cant get a good judgement in that weather(on the running game) sure Coker fumbled twice early,then ran tenative after he was scolded and sat out a couple series.And sure McCall looked awesome in 1 quarter 9 carries against a division II team . but the basics were there!! both lines bullied a weaker team around(as they should) linebackers looked killer!! db's were tough(except Hydes little brain fart) we are right where we need to be. Coker will be fine!! we lost depth(what new) thats all.

The running game didn't look good.
8 & 9 man fronts will do that.
With that said, Iowa knows that's what they're gonna see probably every week.
If Coker can't shake today off, Iowa's run game is in trouble.

I thought it was a typical Iowa opener, the only surprise to me was we came out of the shoot throwing the ball, wasn't expecting that.

If there's something "good" that could be taken away from the running game today, it's the fact that the fumbles didn't hurt us today and the coaches can drill down on that immediately to ensure it does not become a consistent problem.

Iowa played well and TTU was not a great opponet for sure got about as much out of it as possible only negative was losing McCall other than that solid opener.

Iowa played well and TTU was not a great opponet for sure got about as much out of it as possible only negative was losing McCall other than that solid opener.

Yup.
I was expecting a good offensive showing yesterday. And at times we saw some flashes of brilliance but overall the weather (I hope) hampered their effectiveness. I think Iowa overpowered TTU but the running game never got on track. I saw nothing from TTU that would indicate that they should be considered a good team in the same league with Iowa.
Defensively I am a little more optimistic than I was before the game.

If I'm Michigan State, I'd be worried. Their offensive line got no push against and inferior team. Our O-line was dominating these guys. Until McCall came in, we weren't exploiting that. Coker wasn't the Coker we were expecting, but he will be. The good thing was, the o-line looked good, big, mean, and physical.

Honestly, they looked the part. Damn, I can't believe Gettis and Tobin are only 290...they looked bigger than that. Maybe it was because of TT's size.

The point is, JVB is going to have a ton of time to throw the ball. We are going to score points period.

I thought it was a typical Iowa opener, the only surprise to me was we came out of the shoot throwing the ball, wasn't expecting that.

If there is one consistency about KOK, is that he is contrarian. If the whole stadium is expecting run, you should really expect him to pass.

Latest posts