Iowa Last in Big 10 Directors Cup: Does that Matter to You?

I do not care about the award or ones like it. I care about sports I follow; football, Mens basketball, Womens basketball, baseball and wrestling. Other than men's basketball I was pleased with the competitiveness of the teams fielded. I don't hear any conversation about the Stanford vs Duke rowing teams at the coffee shop.

If only Lisa Koll had gone to Iowa we could pretend the Director's Cup was meaningful. As it is we have to settle with a BCS Bowl victory and another National Championship in wrestling.

As it is we have to settle with a BCS Bowl victory and another National Championship in wrestling.

I tend to side on this...the things that matter are strength in football, men's basketball and wrestling. Two out of three are good, and efforts have been made and continue to be made to shore up the third. I like all of the programs to do well and when they do, I do pay attention...I'd like to see women's basketball have the same level of support that Iowa State's program gets...then again right now, I'd like to see men's basketball get the same level of support Iowa State women's basketball gets...but I certainly understand why we are where we are.

This sounds like something made up to think any womens sport outside of basketball is meaningful to anyone

I could really care less. Isn't ISU always touting their high finish on the Big XII's equivalent of this "Director's Cup"? It makes them feel better about their meaningful teams being mediocre (or worse).

I tend to side on this...the things that matter are strength in football, men's basketball and wrestling. Two out of three are good, and efforts have been made and continue to be made to shore up the third. I like all of the programs to do well and when they do, I do pay attention...I'd like to see women's basketball have the same level of support that Iowa State's program gets...then again right now, I'd like to see men's basketball get the same level of support Iowa State women's basketball gets...but I certainly understand why we are where we are.

You fogot Lisa Bluder's Women's basketball program's consistent success over the years and that is going to continue. :)

Overall I don't think 95% of Iowa fans care where Iowa finishes in the Director's Cup.

Most Iowa fans only care about the big three/four Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Wrestling.

Iowa does have some under performing programs and Barta (and staff) need to put a plan together to strengthen those programs.

I certainly want all Hawkeye teams to do well. Its disappointing to see any team that wears the black and gold and has "Iowa" emblazoned on their jerseys not being successful, or at least competitive. They are all part of the greater Hawkeye "family," and I root for them all (well, at least in spirit) and I want each and every team to be a serious competitor for a Big Ten championship.

Do I lose sleep over the non-revenue sports mediocrity, though? No. Would it be nice to win the Director's Cup? Sure. It would be great, but not if it meant compromising the success of the football, basketball, or wrestling teams. I'd much rather have a BCS bowl victory in football and a national championship in wrestling than the Director's Cup.

By the way, how can a school with a BCS bowl victory and a NATIONAL FREAKING CHAMPIONSHIP be DEAD LAST in the standings??? How many other Big Ten Schools won a national championship in aything this year??? Our ranking makes it seem like nothing good at all has happened in Hawkeye athletics this year.

I theoretically want Iowa teams to do well, but no, I don't care at all how good Iowa's track and field, crew, or gymnastics teams are. Iowa just won a BCS bowl in football and a national title in wrestling. If the basketball team didn't suck (at historical levels of suckness) then it would have been an unbelievable year for me as a fan.

We need to spend less money on football and wrestling and more on women's rowing and field hockey.

Rowing already has a state of art 8 million dollar facility. Enough spent on them for a long time.....

On top of that.....it was built in a flood plain.....genius idea.

The Director's Cup is like a perfect attendance award, or a participation award. Thanks for playing--here's a trophy.

Part of the problem is that you get so many points for sports we don't even have at Iowa...and to boot like Barta said...we had one of our best baseball seasons in some time...came close to pulling off the Big Ten tourney...and guess how many points we got?? zippo...

But in the end I do not care...but I don't understand how we are last...honestly...a national championship in ANY sport should propel you over some...

IIRC, in his first presser as AD, didn't Barta make a statement along the lines of, "We expect to challenge for conference championships in all sports."

That hasn't happened, so should Barta's tenure be considered a disappointment? We are LAST in the Director's Cup? How does NW, Minny, Indiana and Purdue beat us? I don't realistically expect us to win the cup with some of the heavyweights in the Big10, but we shouldn't be last.

Latest posts