Iowa Lands Juco Punter with NFL Lineage

Kidd sounds good!

Chris Sailer Kicking 2013 Nike Fall Camp Recap Dillon Kidd Shines

"Overall Camp Champion: Dillon Kidd (2014 JC, CA): Dillon outperformed 20 plus extremely talented punters on this day. His consistency ultimately lead him to the championship. Dillon consistently punted 40 to 50 yards with 4.5 plus hang time. His best balls measured 55 plus yards with 4.8 plus hang time. He is a national junior college punt leader"

Well, I can honestly say I did not see that one coming.

And all you internet yahoos say we don't recruit JUCOs.

On the one hand we already have a punter on scholarship that's just now entering his junior year. On the other hand, he's not been that great so far in his career so I'm ok with bringing in some competition.

Now if this were Alabama, the loser of that competition would no longer have a scholarship.

Pure speculation but does this indicate that Kornbrath might be in the running to take the full time place kicking duties? I'm guessing we'll have an idea come spring practice time.

This seems to indicate that Conner is a bust. Two schollys on punters? hmmm........not good.

Underrated position, imo. Lot's of 'hidden yardage' there. We know KF is conservative, plays field position a lot. Kornbrath has been very weak last couple yrs. This is a good get, especially since we don't apparently have scholys 'waiting' on a 4 or 5 -star player to commit.

I agree Kornbrath hasn't set the world on fire, but I thought he started coming on a little at the end of last year. Kirk must think this kid is just that much better. Not sure who's challenging Kornbrath's spot right now so I'm all for it. PIN EM DEEP!

Punter is a very important position on a team that likes to play field position as much as Iowa does. Lets just hope he isn't the MVP like Donahue was in 2007 though.

I agree Kornbrath hasn't set the world on fire, but I thought he started coming on a little at the end of last year. Kirk must think this kid is just that much better. Not sure who's challenging Kornbrath's spot right now so I'm all for it. PIN EM DEEP!
I think its pretty obvious that kornbrath will not be back next semester.

Recent decision to recruit a punter, going juco and Ferentz calling recruit. Not typical recruiting strategy.

Was always under the impression that Kornbrath was a pretty great PK out of high school. Forced into a P role as he was the best option we had.

Perhaps he'll be in the mix at PK this spring.

Would be very surprised if Kornbrath takes the PK spot from Koehn. Koehn has all the tools to be a very good kicker at Iowa. Much bigger leg than we have had in a while, that is for sure.

the thing about Kornbrath is his inconsistency. He sets the world on fire in practice, but then shanks in games.

Also - Kornbrath was recruited to Iowa as a punter - not a place kicker.

I, for one, love this. How many times has our punter been our best offense? Plenty. I hope the offense is not that anemic, but a punter can make a huge difference. Also, remember we signed a top 5 kicker in Mick Ellis. I don't believe anyone would redshirt a kicker, so I expect him to compete from day one. Maybe we can pin people inside the 5 with this kid...errr, wait, maybe we don't have enough SPEED with our slow gunners............. Welcome to the fold Dillon Kidd, happy to have you as a hawk.

Uh oh, just a thought. Markel smith said he chose Iowa because we run the ball and fit his style. He said,"It's like a reciever choosing a west coast offense that passes a lot". Maybe KF enticed him by saying "Trust me. I can promise you a lot of playing time. We will punt so much that I know we can make you NFL ready".

the thing about Kornbrath is his inconsistency. He sets the world on fire in practice, but then shanks in games.

Also - Kornbrath was recruited to Iowa as a punter - not a place kicker.
It almost sickens me to see a shanked punt for 20 yards. You are a punter with one and only one job. Punt the ball.

Another thought. If this kid is that good, we can all forget about even hoping KF will go for it on 4th down unless we are on the 27-33 yard line. Maybe that will be a Kornbrath special shank punt situation. He can angle it out of bounds inside the 5. I kid, I kid. Wish all the best for Conner too. Curious if he will finish his career on the team, or if other opportunities will arise for him if he loses his starting punter spot.

Latest posts