Iowa Lands 4-Star Defensive End, Commit #1

New DC, new d-line coach, new indoor facility.... Not to mention some of most crazed fans with great gameday atmosphere why not!? Hopefully he's not a big twitter/Facebook guy :)

I was just looking at his size he would have to put on quite a bit of weight. I'm sure he will with Doyle but was just wondering.

I was just looking at his size he would have to put on quite a bit of weight. I'm sure he will with Doyle but was just wondering.

6'2", 250 pound LBers are a rarity, especially at Iowa when they are required to help out in pass coverage. He is a DL all the way.

That kid is FANTASTIC with his hands inside. Has a variety of moves and is lightning quick off the ball. I love this recruit already.

Not having seen Kenney in person before, we were most interested to gauge his size. Listed at 6-2 and 250 pounds, we were pleased that the 6-2 height appeared to be accurate. That is not ideal, but is far from a major detraction. South Carolina defensive end Melvin Ingram is a likely first-round draft pick this year at 6-2 and Brandon Graham was a first-round pick in 2010 at just 6-1. Kenney said his weight is actually down to 240 pounds now from a high of 260, but that is a good thing because he looked cut up and carried little to no bad weight.

From rivals free article

Muscle weighs more than fat, just sayin' lol. We still want great size on the DL. 240 lbs is more of a LB size, 280-300+ lbs sounds about right for the DL. Same with the OL. You want brick walls!! haha

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning his size. He already has better size than a lot of our former and present defensive line recruits have come in at... just off the top of my head I know McMinn, Klug, King, and Kroul were all his size or smaller coming in. Klug and Mcminn had a few inches on him in the height dept but that isn't real important for a defensive lineman. Plus he has another year of H.S. to bulk up a bit more. For a defensive lineman it's all about leverage. He looks very explosive and if plays low to the ground with that build he'll be just fine. Doyle will put at least 20-30 lbs on him when he arrives on campus.

I think he'll stay at defensive end. Unless we have someone else who can show the same kind of explosion off of the edge, I don't see why they'd move him inside the tackles. He looks like a QB's worst nightmare on his highlight tape. I saw on the recent player interviews Castillo mentioned the defense is really flying around out there and having fun. Makes me wonder if Kenney felt that energy and wanted to be a part of it.

Last edited:
Lets keep in mind that the kid is still currently a junior in high school. He has one more full year before he gets on campus and will more than likely redshirt after that so he has two full years to pack on some poundage. He will probably be in the 280-290 range before he sees meaningful time at Kinnick.

Latest posts