Iowa @ Kansas 1998 - 62 Game Winning Streak Snapped

I think I saw myself at the end of the video when the players were celebrating. My buddy is the one that came up and shook Mr. Davis's hand they showed real briefly. What was fun is the place gets so quiet for free throws, but it echoes so great that all 20 of us Hawk fans would yell while KU was shooting free throws and it'd sound awesome...the KU fans were so PO'd that we would dare yell during their FTs.

At least now I know it wasn't a bad memory that had me thinking I was down on the court. If anyone was down there, I was too. Andy Piro as down there and so was either Jeff Lieberman or that other guy from the Foundation, Matt Henderson.

By the way, I was at the Minnesota football games in both 2002 and 2004.

I took the time to watch this game last night.. Ugly game - over 50 turnovers combined between the two teams, but still a great college basketball game with a ton of intensity from both sides. I still don't know how Iowa won that game turning the ball over 31 times and being down 18 in the second half.

It also struck me how physical that game was.. There were a ton of uncalled fouls in that game that would draw a sure whistle these days. Oh, and Jeff Boschee played defense like Aaron Craft. He was hand-checking the crap out of Duez Henderson on that one play in the second half.

One of 5 ranked teams Iowa beat that year, including a blowout win over #8 Indiana and a win over Arkansas to put us in the sweet 16. Of our 10 losses that year, 9 were to ranked teams. Brutal schedule.

The good ol' days.

Mr. Davis's last season I believe. helluva coach

Tell me again why Bowlsby forced out Mr. Davis, if attendance was going down then Bowlsby should have scheduled better home Non-Conf games as the OOC schedule had gotten stale.

If Mr. Davis was maybe playing too much golf and not recruiting as hard maybe Bowlsby should have had a chat with him about pulling in the instate blue chippers.

But Mr. Davis was head and shoulders better than Alford, my gawd Mr. Davis gave Drake their first winning season in many years.

I just remember people questioning his recruiting, worried it was getting worse, I believe. Was it warranted. Don't know.

I just remember people questioning his recruiting, worried it was getting worse, I believe. Was it warranted. Don't know.

All I know is that Mr. Davis's last couple of classes had players like Ricky Davis, Dean Oliver and Joey Range.. Seemed like he was still doing OK. Obviously he didn't recruit anything during his lame duck season, but that's to be expected.

Thought I read some message board chatter once that Davis and Bowlsby had a serious difference of opinion on the recruitment of Joey Range. Something along the lines of "Don't recruit him, or else." Davis recruited Range, and a year or so later, Davis was gone, and so was Range. Coincidence?

Don't know how true that is, though. Just what I heard.

I took the time to watch this game last night.. Ugly game - over 50 turnovers combined between the two teams, but still a great college basketball game with a ton of intensity from both sides. I still don't know how Iowa won that game turning the ball over 31 times and being down 18 in the second half.

It also struck me how physical that game was.. There were a ton of uncalled fouls in that game that would draw a sure whistle these days. Oh, and Jeff Boschee played defense like Aaron Craft. He was hand-checking the crap out of Duez Henderson on that one play in the second half.
I watched it as well. And I came away with the same thoughts. That was a very physical game. That Iowa team really hustled.

All I know is that Mr. Davis's last couple of classes had players like Ricky Davis, Dean Oliver and Joey Range.. Seemed like he was still doing OK. Obviously he didn't recruit anything during his lame duck season, but that's to be expected.

Thought I read some message board chatter once that Davis and Bowlsby had a serious difference of opinion on the recruitment of Joey Range. Something along the lines of "Don't recruit him, or else." Davis recruited Range, and a year or so later, Davis was gone, and so was Range. Coincidence?

Don't know how true that is, though. Just what I heard.

Joey Range article. Good read. http://www.galesburg.com/news/20160124/tom-loewy-joey-range-rises-above-legend

Here's an interesting quote -- “For me, really, it was about Mr. Davis Davis,” Range said. “First there were whispers and then there it was — he left and Steve Alford came in and I never liked coach Alford. Still don’t like him.”

Joey Range article. Good read. http://www.galesburg.com/news/20160124/tom-loewy-joey-range-rises-above-legend

Here's an interesting quote -- “For me, really, it was about Mr. Davis Davis,” Range said. “First there were whispers and then there it was — he left and Steve Alford came in and I never liked coach Alford. Still don’t like him.”

Good article - thanks for sharing. I never really knew for sure why Range left Iowa.. Going by this article, sounds like he didn't care for Alford much..

Good article - thanks for sharing. I never really knew for sure why Range left Iowa.. Going by this article, sounds like he didn't care for Alford much..

I believe it may have been Range who openly/publicly ranked on the U of I "administration" when people kept asking about Mr. Davis's "retirement", responding with a, "Retirement? If you say so"-type of comment.