Iowa @ ISU an Even Matchup?

It's not even, because clearly Iowa is favored, and it's home for ISU, so it'd likely be a touchdown or more line on a neutral field.

I think it's as evenly matched as it's been for a few years. That said, there have been years when I thought it would be a close game and ISU gets destroyed. There are years where I thought Iowa would win by a lot, and ISU pulls it out. If it sounds like I'm hedging my bets when it comes to this game, you better believe I am. who knows.

Running game ... huge advantage Iowa. Actually I hope they keep spouting off because it can only light a fire under some of our out-of-state players. It's probably a 6 or 7 point Iowa advantage this year on a neutral field, so -3 at Lames makes sense.

Let's concentrate on Wyoming first then open a can of whoop ass on little bro dressed as creepy clowns.

images

Last edited:
Usually when you have better OL and DL, it bodes really badly for the other team. I think Wyoming will tell us everything we need to know whether this is 3 points or 14 for a line at ISU. If we handle Wyoming with some physical football and the offense shows they can throw when they need to or that we have a balanced attack...there is no way this is 3 points in Ames.

You have to feel better about the WR position at Iowa...and the fact that Wadley is going to be in the slot occasionally. There are alot of options at WR and then you add Quarrels who certainly looks the part. With Vandenburg healthy...you only need two guys to really step up. I think it happens and compared to last year...this is night and day at the WR position.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-oc-brian-ferentz-add-fuel-rivalry/568109001/

"Iowa State has better receivers and a better quarterback. Iowa has better lines. Defensive backs? Advantage Cyclones. Linebackers? Advantage Hawkeyes.

You get the point.

And you now see why it’s essentially a toss-up game — you see why Vegas favors Iowa by about a field goal on Sept. 9 at Iowa State’s Jack Trice Stadium."

o_O Ok....

Every year its the same leading up to the game.

They may hang with Iowa for 2 1/2 quarters, but I think Iowa will wear them down with the physicality and now depth at certain interior positions. The Iowa running game will turn out to be the difference keeping IA State off the field. IA State's QB situation has been in flux for a couple years so I wouldn't presume it is going to be better or that much better where it makes a difference. I see a 10-14 pt Iowa win, myself.

That was a Randy Petersen article and he is the ISU reporter for the Register so not surprising he would do his math and come up with something to stir things up.

ISU will load up to stop run and rely on experienced D Backs to take care of receivers. So Iowa will be forced to pass more and need to loosen them up. I think the Iowa TEs vs ISU linebackers can definitely be exploited. I am not a believer a guy can jump from QB to linebacker and be a starter. I'd suggest ISU's d line will be questionable. All new and remember when they kept telling us last year that Demond Tucker was going to be a beast, well he got tired and got run over. They will have to try to get the Iowa QB skittish in the pocket and get him to make errant throws.

I will say if you go back 2 years when Iowa was out there last, Josh Jackson played quite a bit and had a number of plays 1 on 1 with Lazard and he did a great job. Of course Park was not QB then, but Jackson covered him.

I just think Park will be running for his life with our D Line (guys rotating frequently to stay fresh). He will have to do the maddening quick 3 yard out throws quite frequently.

If it happened to be a quite decisive game going Iowa's way, can you imagine the damage to the psyche of the Clone fans? They would harken back to the late 90s / early 2000s like the Husker fans.

They may hang with Iowa for 2 1/2 quarters, but I think Iowa will wear them down with the physicality and now depth at certain interior positions. The Iowa running game will turn out to be the difference keeping IA State off the field. IA State's QB situation has been in flux for a couple years so I wouldn't presume it is going to be better or that much better where it makes a difference. I see a 10-14 pt Iowa win, myself.

I could see it being close at half or even them leading by a bit just like 2 years ago. Last year was just too easy and was really over by the half.

Running game ... huge advantage Iowa. Actually I hope they keep spouting off because it can only light a fire under some of our out-of-state players. It's probably a 6 or 7 point Iowa advantage this year on a neutral field, so -3 at Lames makes sense.

Let's concentrate on Wyoming first then open a can of whoop ass on little bro dressed as creepy clowns.

images

Agree. Will be a bit clearer by Sept 3. Will have an idea of what both teams might have.

Agree. Due to style of play it'd take a flukey kick return, turnover(s) or something like that to bust it wide open. Iowa will do what they always do and just pound it early and often but there won't be a ton of possessions. Thus equaling less scoring. This is a game where Iowa could win 24 to 14 and it feel like it was 45 to 7.... Or so I hope

Iowa State is one of the worst college football teams in P5 history, Iowa is a Top 25 team historically. This is never an even matchup, nor will it be this year. Iowa is going to run all over ISU.

It's a rivalry game and it's early in the season...both of which are advantages for ISU. Getting clobber knocked last year fuels their fire...and playing in front of their crowd who still believes they have hope since they are more than likely 1-0 at this point. Delusions are a funny thing, like when the idiot doesn't think he's an idiot (see Donald Trump), and he somehow believes he can be more than he really has a right to be. In the end, it all comes out...and the shine comes off the apple, or in this case...Ronald McDonald's red nose.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-oc-brian-ferentz-add-fuel-rivalry/568109001/

"Iowa State has better receivers and a better quarterback. Iowa has better lines. Defensive backs? Advantage Cyclones. Linebackers? Advantage Hawkeyes.

You get the point.

And you now see why it’s essentially a toss-up game — you see why Vegas favors Iowa by about a field goal on Sept. 9 at Iowa State’s Jack Trice Stadium."

o_O Ok....

I'll give them the receivers being better. Who wouldn't say that after what ours were last year? But they're already proclaiming J. Park is better than Stanley? Yeah, OK.

I'll give them the receivers being better. Who wouldn't say that after what ours were last year? But they're already proclaiming J. Park is better than Stanley? Yeah, OK.
He is the next in line of "great" ISU Qbs. Since Seneca, we have heard about how Austin Flynn was going to be better than Drew Tate. Bret Meyer was the next big thing. Then it was Austen Arnaud is better than Stanzi. Then he lost his job to the next great QB, Tiller. then Steele Jantz was a heisman hopeful. He lost his job to Barnett. Who then lost his job to Sam Richardson. He never did anything, but then Lanning was just "too good" to keep off the field. Now we have Park, who is "almost as good as Mayfield and Rudolph."

I think they have a tendency to over-react. In 2 years, we will be laughing at the Stanley vs. Park debate.

Latest posts