Iowa isn't Tough Enough

Do you honestly think this? I can't imagine how someone can be this optimistic in thinking that Lickliter will be a B10 player.
I think by his junior/senior year, he can give the Hawkeyes 4-5 minutes off the bench.

All I know is, right now, he's not a B10 player.

Lickliter has a tremendous attitude, but isn't a B10 player yet.

Stormin, you are indeed the root of optimism for the basketball program as it pertains to HawkeyeNation.com .

But, you just lost me completely with that one.

If you think John Lickliter is a B10 basketball player, you really do not understand the game. There is not one B10 PG that he can break down off the dribble.

People may enjoy your posts. I do. But you have to realize we didn't just fall of the freaking (iowa) turnip truck, either.

He would be an outstanding D3 player, however.

No offense to John, but he is just not big enough (or talented enough) to play at this level.

Perhaps this will be bulletin board fodder for him.

Gatens has to toughen up mentally.

he is like a baseball player that is 0-2 with 2 strikeouts. After those 2 at bats, you know he is going to be 0-4. There is zero chance of him getting a hit.

He needs to be the equivelant of a baseball player that is 0-2 and can turn it into 1-3 or 2-4 because they stay positive mentally.

Stop letting your opponent see you so frustrated.

Do not ever let the opposition know what you are thinking.

Gaten's is terrible with this. Needs to grow up fast.

Gatens has to toughen up mentally.

he is like a baseball player that is 0-2 with 2 strikeouts. After those 2 at bats, you know he is going to be 0-4. There is zero chance of him getting a hit.

He needs to be the equivelant of a baseball player that is 0-2 and can turn it into 1-3 or 2-4 because they stay positive mentally.

Stop letting your opponent see you so frustrated.

Do not ever let the opposition know what you are thinking.

Gaten's is terrible with this. Needs to grow up fast.

I feel Gatens' pain...its hard to be a decent player on a team of chumps, especially when he plays against other teams that he knows he could be on...I wouldn't pass the ball at all if I were him. If they are going to lose by 20 every game he might as well go out and get his...

Stormin, you are indeed the root of optimism for the basketball program as it pertains to HawkeyeNation.com .

But, you just lost me completely with that one.

If you think John Lickliter is a B10 basketball player, you really do not understand the game. There is not one B10 PG that he can break down off the dribble.

People may enjoy your posts. I do. But you have to realize we didn't just fall of the freaking (iowa) turnip truck, either.

He would be an outstanding D3 player, however.

No offense to John, but he is just not big enough (or talented enough) to play at this level.

Perhaps this will be bulletin board fodder for him.

Now I am confused... I said John Lickliter isn't a B10 player.
In other posts RE: John I have said on numerous occasions that people need to realize he isn't a B10 player and he isn't better than Payne.

He has a great attitude, but he's no where near being a B10 player yet.
That has always been my thoughts.

I feel Gatens' pain...its hard to be a decent player on a team of chumps, especially when he plays against other teams that he knows he could be on...I wouldn't pass the ball at all if I were him. If they are going to lose by 20 every game he might as well go out and get his...

You're aware that's awful right?
________
PROBLEMS WITH PRILOSEC

Last edited:
I think by his junior/senior year, he can give the Hawkeyes 4-5 minutes off the bench.

All I know is, right now, he's not a B10 player.

Interesting. JL can "by his jr/sr year can give the Hawkeyes 4-5 minutes off the bench". He's doing that right now. So in two years he isn't going to improve? He isn't going to be able to contribute any more than he is now? Then why stick with him and give him practice time (if he wasn't the coach's son he wouldn't be getting practice time or playing time). Why not have a couple of recruited walk ons versus keeping around a player that in two years isn't going to contribute any more than he is now (Oh, ya, I keep forgetting he is the coach's son).

He isn't a Big 10 player now and won't be in his junior and senior year. Any player that is only contributing 4-5 minutes a game off the bench as a junior or senior is not a Big 10 player.

Interesting. JL can "by his jr/sr year can give the Hawkeyes 4-5 minutes off the bench". He's doing that right now. So in two years he isn't going to improve? He isn't going to be able to contribute any more than he is now? Then why stick with him and give him practice time (if he wasn't the coach's son he wouldn't be getting practice time or playing time). Why not have a couple of recruited walk ons versus keeping around a player that in two years isn't going to contribute any more than he is now (Oh, ya, I keep forgetting he is the coach's son).

He isn't a Big 10 player now and won't be in his junior and senior year. Any player that is only contributing 4-5 minutes a game off the bench as a junior or senior is not a Big 10 player.

You are sort of tip-toeing around what I am saying...

Maybe I should just come out and explain myself better:

John L isn't B10 ready yet, if anyone really things Lickliter is a B10 caliber player right now, then they likely won't make a living evaluating basketball talent. My entire point on John is that I appreciate his effort on the court and think he has a great attitude towards the game, the team, and his place on it. I absolutely think John Lickliter can improve his game over the course of the next 2-3 years. However, even if he drastically improves his game, he still won't be what I would classify as a "B10 player" - he would be a role player that came off the bench, gave a couple mins at a time to give the other Gs a break. Be able to run the offense, do no harm, and then back to the bench. On occassion when 3 pt shooters are needed, he'd see more time. But, like I said, I see 4-5 min per G type of stats for John. The PT he is getting only shows just how bad it is in the program right now.

I hope that helps clear up some of my posts.

If all of Iowa's players had:

Peyton Manning's mental toughness in football or
Kobe Bryant's mental toughness in basketball or
Derek Jeter's MT in baseball or
Tiger Woods' MT in golf (strictly on the course)

Then they still would end up losing by 30 to MSU which is what's going to happen on Saturday. I agree that the "we need to be tougher" is a smoke screen to cover up the appalling lack of talent. I don't blame Lick though-what's he supposed to say-"Well, we just aren't fast enough, quick enough big enough, or muscular enough to compete with these other teams."?

You are sort of tip-toeing around what I am saying...

Maybe I should just come out and explain myself better:

John L isn't B10 ready yet, if anyone really things Lickliter is a B10 caliber player right now, then they likely won't make a living evaluating basketball talent. My entire point on John is that I appreciate his effort on the court and think he has a great attitude towards the game, the team, and his place on it. I absolutely think John Lickliter can improve his game over the course of the next 2-3 years. However, even if he drastically improves his game, he still won't be what I would classify as a "B10 player" - he would be a role player that came off the bench, gave a couple mins at a time to give the other Gs a break. Be able to run the offense, do no harm, and then back to the bench. On occassion when 3 pt shooters are needed, he'd see more time. But, like I said, I see 4-5 min per G type of stats for John. The PT he is getting only shows just how bad it is in the program right now.

I hope that helps clear up some of my posts.

If John Lickliter is still seeing PT in two years, then we have definitely not made any improvements at all.

And, it would mean his father is still coaching.

If tougher means playing smarter and being more consistant in making the plays they are capable of making, then it would make them a better team. Lick needs to find some things that they can do well and focus on consistant improvement before he loses this team. More depth next year will help this team, but only if the current hawks improve daily and all the key players stay.

Latest posts