Iowa is the Iowa State of the Big Ten

Right here, you seem to be putting Iowa and ISU into the same boat. Never mind that ISU had to do whatever they could to save their conference, and that Iowa isn't in that position.

But then you say this. Which is it? You're either comparing them or you're not, and in either event, it's a bad one. The Big 10 isn't in any immediate danger like the Big 12 was, and Iowa isn't in a position where they have to give in to whatever OSU wants to save the league.

Whatever way you want to spin it. Iowa and ISU don't decide their own fates.

There's more to this than just on the field football results. No one else cares about that except for the fans of their respective team.

this is not just regarding on the field results. like I said they both need the big boys, but Iowa/Okie State have more to say about their alignment within the conference than other lower level teams...you can disagree if you'd like but its the truth.

so your saying on the field results are not playing a factor in the division alignment? i would have to disagree if that is your arguement because competitive balance is something being strongly considered. FYI since '93 Iowa has the 6th best winning % in the big ten (including Nebby) and most proposed divisions reflect the top 6 teams, in terms of winning %, being seperated with 3 in each division. not all of the proposals have this type of separation, but most do. so i would have to disagree with you when you say no one cares about on the field results.

this is not just regarding on the field results. like I said they both need the big boys, but Iowa/Okie State have more to say about their alignment within the conference than other lower level teams...you can disagree if you'd like but its the truth.

so your saying on the field results are not playing a factor in the division alignment? i would have to disagree if that is your arguement because competitive balance is something being strongly considered. FYI since '93 Iowa has the 6th best winning % in the big ten (including Nebby) and most proposed divisions reflect the top 6 teams, in terms of winning %, being seperated with 3 in each division. not all of the proposals have this type of separation, but most do. so i would have to disagree with you when you say no one cares about on the field results.

I'm saying they don't play much of a factor. If taking the 6th best team and switching them with the 7, 8, or 9th best team would produce more money for the conference do you really think it would matter that much?

UM and OSU run the show. UM isn't stupid, do you really think they are just going to sit there and let themselves get put in the same division as OSU? Especially whilst in their current position in terms of football? ISU was serving Texas breakfast in bed and now Iowa is gonna have to get the drinks and make sure the veggie dip doesn't run out for the Michigan.

There is one huge difference; the b12 does NOT have a tv network, and the TV revenue is shared disproportionately. So while your immature arguement may have some merit, the fact remains that the UI's pockets are getting just as fat as OSU & UM's from revenue generated by TV, while UT rapes the rest of the B12 teams.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Whatever way you want to spin it. Iowa and ISU don't decide their own fates.

I just don't see how you can write any of this stuff with a straight face. So, Iowa is like ISU in that they don't decide their own fate as far as conferences go? I could basically make the same argument for 80-90 other FBS teams. Once you take out the big boys like AL, FL, USC, PSU, OSU, Mich, Tenn, Texas, etc, everyone else is along for the ride in some regards. This is seriously the most idiotic thread I have seen in a while. Laugh off the original post, say you were joking and move on. Please stop trying to justify it.

I'm saying they don't play much of a factor. If taking the 6th best team and switching them with the 7, 8, or 9th best team would produce more money for the conference do you really think it would matter that much?

I guess the rub here is that no matter who gets the veggies and dip in the B10, everyone at the party gets an equal size gift ($19-$22MM). Where as in ISU's case, they have to fetch the drinks and leave the party with a lump of coal while Texas and OU drive home in their respective Rolls Royce.

Obviously Iowa is the ISU of the B10 because the schools are in the same state, but Iowa holds relatively more power in the B10 than ISU does in the B12. And that has nothing to do with the states population or marketability but the fact that Iowa has been successful in the league.

I understand what you are saying, but in this case the gap between the 6th team (Iowa) and the 7th team (Purdue) is sizeable. I looked up the numbers last night and its something like 50 or 60 wins over that span of time. All I'm saying is there is a drop-off after Iowa in terms of competitiveness over that span of time. If you want an example of not having competitiveness on the field play a factor in the division alignment...look no farther than the soon-to-be former Big 12...on field results do matter.

Going back to your original point, whether you were trying to make an ISU/Iowa comparison or not, I just don't see their being much of a relation other than them being from a state that is sparcely populated relative to the other teams in the conference. This will always be a disadvantage for both schools going forward regardless of conference affiliation. I just think there are other, more important factors, that will be the determining factor in this case.

There is one huge difference; the b12 does NOT have a tv network, and the TV revenue is shared disproportionately. So while your immature arguement may have some merit, the fact remains that the UI's pockets are getting just as fat as OSU & UM's from revenue generated by TV, while UT rapes the rest of the B12 teams.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Exactly. While everyone shares the revenue equally this does not mean that the conference does not want to maximize that revenue for everyone. And if that means splitting up UM and OSU or moving Iowa to the "east" division then they will do that.

I just don't see how you can write any of this stuff with a straight face. So, Iowa is like ISU in that they don't decide their own fate as far as conferences go? I could basically make the same argument for 80-90 other FBS teams. Once you take out the big boys like AL, FL, USC, PSU, OSU, Mich, Tenn, Texas, etc, everyone else is along for the ride in some regards. This is seriously the most idiotic thread I have seen in a while. Laugh off the original post, say you were joking and move on. Please stop trying to justify it.

Bingo

By Cliche's logic Wisconsin, Michigan state, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota are ALL the Iowa State of the Big Ten

Bingo

By Cliche's logic Wisconsin, Michigan state, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota are ALL the Iowa State of the Big Ten

Bingo! but that wouldn't get a bunch of ppl to read my thread and get a good argument going on the site now would it? It's been kind of stale lately. :rolleyes:

Bingo! but that wouldn't get a bunch of ppl to read my thread and get a good argument going on the site now would it? It's been kind of stale lately. :rolleyes:

So...we're done here? Move on to the next topic? Ohio State is the Texas of the Big Ten, glad we established that, good talk. Next.

Don't ever compare Iowa to ISU again. :)

I just find it hilarious how touchy everyone is. I get that everyone is scared of being in the same division as OSU, and to a lesser extent Michigan. Everyone just needs to come back to reality and realize the B10 isn't going to let everyone so easy and put those 2 schools in the same division.

Last edited:
I just find it hilarious how touchy everyone is. I get that everyone is scared of being in the same division as OSU, and to a lesser extent Michigan. Everyone just needs to come back to reality and the B10 isn't going to let everyone so easy and put those 2 schools in the same division.

I dont think many are scared of Michigan

Scared of OSU.....hell yes

Big 10 Schools 2008-2009 revenue........................................... ..........................................

School.......................Football Revenue................Athletic Department Revenue

Ohio State...................$68,196,195............... ..............$119,859,607

Penn State...................$61,767,717............... .............$95,978,243

Michigan.....................$52,246,025.......... ...................$95,193,030

Wisconsin....................$40,005,517.......... ..................$89,842,749

Iowa............................$38,896,234....... .....................$79,521,143

Michigan State.............$43,506,725..................... ........$75,624,811

Minnesota....................$25,594,942.......... ...................$70,322,992

Indiana.........................$20,836,473....... ....................$60,615,528

Purdue.........................$18,320,608........ ....................$59,919,102

Illinois..........................$25,710,645..... ......................$55,609,086

Northwestern...............$23,951,794............ .................$48,582,384

Also, Iowa has amongst the fewest number of teams to support in the Big 10. We spent roughly $28 million on football last year, second in the Big Ten.

Vs. ISU and the Big Twelve..

Big 12 Schools 2008-2009 revenue........................................... ................................

School.....................Football Revenue...............Total Athletic Department Revenue

Texas.......................$87,583,986................................$138,459,149

Oklahoma.................$42,638,431.................................$81,487,835

Nebraska................. $55,226,605............................ . ..$74,881,383

Texas A&M............... $38,358,422.............................. ..$72,886,100

Oklahoma State........................$26,536,625................................$71,805,825

Kansas...................,676,175.......................................$70,614,953

Missouri...................$24,141,873.................................$57,778,668

Colorado................. $27,827,286..................................$49,859,693

Baylor.....................$11,896,723..................................$48,545,254

Kansas State............ $21,378,813............................... .$47,399,903

Texas Tech...............$23,581,188................................$46,632,263

Iowa State...............$21,261,439.................................$45,813,189

Iowa State does not have the revenue to keep up with the big boys.

I can't believe I wasted my time reading such an asinine post. Please take a syringe and inject yourself with drano immediately.

Latest posts