Iowa is the Iowa State of the Big Ten

UM and OSU run the show. UM isn't stupid, do you really think they are just going to sit there and let themselves get put in the same division as OSU? Especially whilst in their current position in terms of football? ISU was serving Texas breakfast in bed and now Iowa is gonna have to get the drinks and make sure the veggie dip doesn't run out for the Michigan.

I don't disagree with you that there are certain programs that are viewed as being stronger than others in the new Big10(12) such as Michigan, OSU, PSU and Nebraska. I do disagree with you about Iowa being the bottom feeder.

Iowa is 2nd tier but closer to 1st tier than 3rd.

UM and OSU run the show. UM isn't stupid, do you really think they are just going to sit there and let themselves get put in the same division as OSU? Especially whilst in their current position in terms of football? ISU was serving Texas breakfast in bed and now Iowa is gonna have to get the drinks and make sure the veggie dip doesn't run out for the Michigan.
You have to be joking or if not you are a joke!

For any of that to be true, the Big 10 would have to be falling apart at the seams, and last time I checked, that wasn't the case.

In any event, having Michigan move to the West isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

Why would you post this? Is it because Barta hasn't been as vocal and seemingly "involved" as Alvarez? We know nothing yet other than what dummy (Alvarez) has leaked, and who knows how much stock we can put into it anyway. Using the words "Iowa is the Iowa State of the Big Ten" is just taking it WAY out of bounds man. Check yourself!

This is one of the dumbest threads Ive ever seen. If anybody in the BigTen is the Iowa State of the league Id say its more likely to be the likes of Indiana in football of course, Illinois too. But in reality Id say Northwestern, theyve had a bit more success than the clones in football recently. But for the most part they have been the whipping boy of the BigTen.

Good one

Im confused, you set a self imposed ban on yourself dor too much ISU talk but then start two threads in two days that refer to ISU. My guess here is that you are just trying to rile some people up....good luck with that.

I think a Ron White quote comes to mind here; "Next time you have a thought..Let it go"

There is a really big difference between Iowa in the Big 10 and ISU in the Big 12. Iowa has won the conference.
Generally they may be considered behind OSU and Michigan, but Iowa is not a guaranteed win for either school. Unlike ISU for the B12. Iowa has ended the season ranked in the top 10 nationally quite often. ISU is seldom in the top 20.

Everyone should stop looking at this through Won Loss record or how good the football team is. It's all about the cash. Iowa and Iowa State don't bring much of it to the table, their earnings potential as a school, not just as a football team, are not anywhere near Texas, OSU, or Michigan. Im not saying Iowa isn't in the top-middle tier of football achievement, but they are in the bottom for population, households, enrollment and national stature. If the powers that be need to hurt Iowa to make one of the big teams stronger, they will do it. Just like Iowa State.

I think a Ron White quote comes to mind here; "Next time you have a thought..Let it go"

There is a really big difference between Iowa in the Big 10 and ISU in the Big 12. Iowa has won the conference.
Generally they may be considered behind OSU and Michigan, but Iowa is not a guaranteed win for either school. Unlike ISU for the B12. Iowa has ended the season ranked in the top 10 nationally quite often. ISU is seldom in the top 20.

+1

First bold: they are for OSU historically, and only recently not for Michigan

Second bold: as compared to who? Iowa State? that would be correct. But once again, I would say the people that make the decisions aren't going to have "number of top 10 finishes in football history" high up on their priority factor list.

i could be wrong but isn't Iowa's athletic department one of the most financially successful in the nation, even self-funded/self-sufficient? this is not the situation at ISU. quit trying to make any sort of comparison between the two schools, because outside of them being in the same state there aren't many.

A better comparison would be to compare us to Okl St. I could see that.

i could be wrong but isn't Iowa's athletic department one of the most financially successful in the nation, even self-funded/self-sufficient? this is not the situation at ISU. quit trying to make any sort of comparison between the two schools, because outside of them being in the same state there aren't many.

I'm not comparing the two schools against each other. I'm comparing their position within their respective conferences as it relates to realignment and expansion. So quit trying to make this an Iowa vs. ISU issue were all clear on that. Iowa has more success, but so does the B10 as compared to the B12. If Iowa was in the B12 they would be a big dog. In the B10 they aren't.

Right here, you seem to be putting Iowa and ISU into the same boat. Never mind that ISU had to do whatever they could to save their conference, and that Iowa isn't in that position.

I'm not comparing the two schools against each other. I'm comparing their position within their respective conferences as it relates to realignment and expansion. So quit trying to make this an Iowa vs. ISU issue were all clear on that. Iowa has more success, but so does the B10 as compared to the B12. If Iowa was in the B12 they would be a big dog. In the B10 they aren't.

But then you say this. Which is it? You're either comparing them or you're not, and in either event, it's a bad one. The Big 10 isn't in any immediate danger like the Big 12 was, and Iowa isn't in a position where they have to give in to whatever OSU wants to save the league.

if you cannot see the contradiction in you statement i cannot help you. I like the Okie state comparison another poster used. both are middle to upper level teams in their respective conferences. neither can operate w/out the big boys, but both bring more to the table than the ISU/N'Western's of the world. I really think you are reaching with the COMPARISON you are attempting to make. Just my opinion. Got to go to work. Later.

I agree with you in principle (although i think comparing it to ISU is a bit of an exaggeration). IF the divisions shake out and Iowa is in the East it is pretty obvious that we were just thrown there to satisfy Michigan, Wisconsin, and even Michigan state.

if you cannot see the contradiction in you statement i cannot help you. I like the Okie state comparison another poster used. both are middle to upper level teams in their respective conferences. neither can operate w/out the big boys, but both bring more to the table than the ISU/N'Western's of the world. I really think you are reaching with the COMPARISON you are attempting to make. Just my opinion. Got to go to work. Later.

There's more to this than just on the field football results. No one else cares about that except for the fans of their respective team.

Latest posts