Iowa is a punchline

NCHawker

I take in a lot of national college football media. When Iowa is mentioned its a joke. They joke about the inept offense.

a few quotes from a podcast. "the offense is not functional" "its garbage", "something from like 1994 and they cant run it", "when is Kirk Ferentz going to overhaul the offense" "what could they do if they had an average offense" ?

they call them "coin flip asourus rex" those teams the get through close games like Iowa did this year.

Kansas is a punchline. Iowa is not a punchline but is not taken seriously. Not as bad but certainly can hurt as much. The thinking you may be for real then getting smacked down can be worse than when you know you are not going anywhere from the start.

Last edited:
Iowa has earned that right to be a punchline. They’re never going to draw the necessary talent and thus win anything of significance with their shitty offensive philosophy. Over it. Watch the same shit each season and we’ll, yet again, find a way to 4 losses after the Citrus Bowl. And no, a West Division title doesn’t mean anything. Everyone knows it’s the fraud division since they’ve never won a conference title in that division,

You know what the alternative to Iowa being a punchline is? Iowa being irrelevant. You’re either one of the great teams, one of the shit teams (nobody cares or talks about you) or you’re a team that’s on the cusp of being great. Those teams are going to get made fun of when they underperform. Iowa is right there. Maybe Iowa can take the next step one day, but there isn’t much more of a step to take.

Last edited:
You know what the alternative to Iowa being punchline? Iowa being irrelevant. You’re either one of the great teams, one of the shit teams (nobody cares or talks about you) or you’re a team that’s on the cusp of being great. Those teams are going to get made fun of when they underperform. Iowa is right there. Maybe Iowa can take the next step one day, but there isn’t much more of a step to take.
I don't disagree with most of this except, while there's a huge gap in talent between the top 8 or so schools and the rest, IA seems to be an offensive scheme away from competing with those schools..

The D and special teams have learned to scheme and execute thru strong fundamentals. Why can't the Offense too?

I don't disagree with most of this except, while there's a huge gap in talent between the top 8 or so schools and the rest, IA seems to be an offensive scheme away from competing with those schools..

The D and special teams have learned to scheme and execute thru strong fundamentals. Why can't the Offense too?

You almost wonder why Kirk doesnt take a flyer on a speedy track athlete who maybe played a bit of wide receiver. Just let them run deep, if they get open throw them the ball, or maybe they draw a safety toward them and opens up room for other receivers.

Iowa played for the bigten championship like it or not. I can bitch with the best but I understand winning the west will currently be the cap of a season. Things will never change, including any modern philosophy on offense. The 6-4 immobile statue days of manning brees brady are even giving away professionally to the mahomes murray and prescotts ..a qb who can move out of the pocket is the normal now for15 years running for all colleges . slow adaptation out of the power I is borderline ludicrous that it has not happened and as we often watch embarrassing when trying to compete on the national stage. As an Iowa fan you have to accept your current limitations and live with them or as the saying goes...definition of insanity......doin the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

You know what the alternative to Iowa being punchline? Iowa being irrelevant. You’re either one of the great teams, one of the shit teams (nobody cares or talks about you) or you’re a team that’s on the cusp of being great. Those teams are going to get made fun of when they underperform. Iowa is right there. Maybe Iowa can take the next step one day, but there isn’t much more of a step to take.
Very good way of looking at it. If you polled a lot of P5 coaches about wanting to play a home and home series with Iowa a whole bunch of them might say no thanks. They know how hard it is to win at Kinnick and they know that Iowa's brand of ball does well on the road.

The last two years there are 16 teams out of 21 who say Iowa is not a punch line. Iowa knocked Minny out of the West title this year as things turned out and do you think Iowa is irrelevant to Cyclone fans. No way. they hate us because the hawks continue to pound them. Kirk and his offensive coaches need to just get to work as do the players to have an OLine that weighs more and is stronger and fires out off the snap better. The QBs need to get more consistent and just better and receivers need to catch almost everything. And running backs need to get some better vision if only to slide a few feet to the side to find that seam.

Spot on bro

The 6-4 immobile statue days of manning brees brady are even giving away professionally to the mahomes murray and prescotts ..a qb who can move out of the pocket is the normal now for15 years running for all colleges .
No. The most consistent quarterbacks will always be pocket passers. The good ones are quite mobile—within the pocket. Iowa can have a pocket passer, he just needs to be more mobile than Pretorian Petras. You have to be able to navigate the pocket, sidestep rushers, etc. It is however easier to develop the more athletic guys at the college level with less consistent offensive lines and less experience, but if you think the immobile guys can’t have success, just look at Mac Jones, both in college and now.

For a credible top 15 or top 10 team, it takes a dynamic developmental coach or a “brand named” coach that can attract some numbers of the of 4 & 5 stars that OSU/Mishy attract. We can’t use the excuse of Iowa’s enrollment size, as Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia and others enrollments aren’t much greater than ours. Sure, we’ve been competitive with them ‘at times,’ with our long-tenured coach. But those years of ‘developing’ players into brand names are getting rarer and rarer, more isolated. Face it, KF’s earlier developmental efforts were more effective. I’ve posted before that the wonderful guy that KF is, he doesn’t have the vision to ‘leverage’ a team up the ladder with current resources or his personal dynamics. As sparkly as 10 wins are, we got dominated by the more important teams. Either KF has to add something to his approach, or his coaching staff, or the university needs an additional recruiting approach. The new sports facilities were supposed to accomplish some of this. Either Ferentz is losing his edge, or other schools have adopted a more dynamic recruiting effort.

For a credible top 15 or top 10 team, it takes a dynamic developmental coach or a “brand named” coach that can attract some numbers of the of 4 & 5 stars that OSU/Mishy attract. We can’t use the excuse of Iowa’s enrollment size, as Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia and others enrollments aren’t much greater than ours. Sure, we’ve been competitive with them ‘at times,’ with our long-tenured coach. But those years of ‘developing’ players into brand names are getting rarer and rarer, more isolated. Face it, KF’s earlier developmental efforts were more effective. I’ve posted before that the wonderful guy that KF is, he doesn’t have the vision to ‘leverage’ a team up the ladder with current resources or his personal dynamics. As sparkly as 10 wins are, we got dominated by the more important teams. Either KF has to add something to his approach, or his coaching staff, or the university needs an additional recruiting approach. The new sports facilities were supposed to accomplish some of this. Either Ferentz is losing his edge, or other schools have adopted a more dynamic recruiting effort.

I'd argue that every program listed in your post has one advantage that we don't. They're all blue bloods and some of the top programs in the country. It's also much easier to be "that coach" when the prestige and history of your program basically does the recruiting itself. I'm not saying your wrong, but IMO if Iowa is ever out recruiting those programs year in and year out then whoever is running those programs absolutely picked the wrong guy.

God I hate non-thinking football FANatics. Iowa wins 10 games, wins its division and is going to a really good bowl. Yes, we got our asses kicked by the second best team in the country. We are not a joke. F that. Yes, changes need to be made on offense. Structural changes. We are not a joke. F that again.

Go Hawks!!!

God I hate non-thinking football FANatics. Iowa wins 10 games, wins its division and is going to a really good bowl. Yes, we got our asses kicked by the second best team in the country. We are not a joke. F that. Yes, changes need to be made on offense. Structural changes. We are not a joke. F that again.

Go Hawks!!!
Exactly this. Could not agree more. However, it would be appreciated if you'd stop using common sense.

Which of these doesn't sound like a laughing stock?

1) "We won 7 games! It's our best AND most together team ever! We're not even trying to win our conference!"
2) "We're the best 3-9 team in the country!"
3) "Row row row your boat."
4) "We won 10 games and are the division champs in our conference."

Who's the punchline?

Go Hawks!!!
People post these things because of disappointment and anger after a bad loss. After a day or two, most realize the sky is not falling

It's been a few days now but I'm still left with a very bitter feeling about the game. People are jumping on the Michigan bandwagon but our defense held them in check for 3 quarters. I just can't get over the play calling in the red zone. It's going to haunt me for a long time. We all know how rare the opportunities like that game are for Iowa. To play anything but all out and to not be willing to take chances, especially with the play calling, will never be forgotten by me. Iowa could have made that a nail biter but for gutless play calling.