Iowa & Iowa State hired men that played 10 years in the NBA

Hi, my name is Kevin Garnett. I'm a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best to ever play the power forward position. The morons running my last team traded me for a ham sandwhich and a set of practice jerseys. I then promptly led my new team to its first NBA championship in 22 years.

No kidding here. I was bitter at the time because I am a Lakers fan. The Lakers offered the Wolves a much better package (including Andrew Bynum and/or Lamar Odom) for Garnett than the Celtics did. However, McHale was the Wolves GM at the time, and his former Celtics teammate, Danny Ainge, was and still is the Celtics GM. Going back to the Celtics-Lakers rivalry that both of them were a part of 20 years ago came back to screw the Lakers. McHale said openly that there was no way he would trade KG to LA because he hated the Lakers. That is why the Celtics got KG for next to nothing.

However, looking back I am OK with the Lakers current situation. For the first year of the trade I was bitter, especially when the Celtics beat the Lakers in the Finals. But at this point in KG's career, I'll take Gasol over him any day. He and Kobe have one Finals appearance and a ring in their two years together. Here's to hoping they add #2 next month!

Something QueenClown might ask is why more schools don't hire NBA players with no head coaching experience to run their programs. If it's such a brilliant idea, wouldn't there be more head coaches with no head coaching experience coaching their way to greatness?

Every college head coch in the nation who has worked his way up the ladder as GA, Assistant, small school HC, mid major HC to finally be the HC in a major conference will be rooting for Hoiberg to FAIL!

Thanks for telling the whole story.

What have each done since their playing career concluded?

A coach is an administrator. But in Jon's vivid imagination, Fred's administrative background in the NBA is not worth mentioning.

It's this type of clear analysis that I'm sure is destined for the Miller portfolio.

Hilarious.

Hopefully all that administration will help him coach against the rest of the Big XII.

Hi, my name is Kevin Garnett. I'm a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best to ever play the power forward position. The morons running my last team traded me for a ham sandwhich and a set of practice jerseys. I then promptly led my new team to its first NBA championship in 22 years.
Nicely done.

Please explain how having NBA GM's phone # on speed dial helpls to reruit 18 year olds or decide what to do in the last 2 minutes of a close game.

Please explain how having NBA GM's phone # on speed dial helpls to reruit 18 year olds or decide what to do in the last 2 minutes of a close game.

Yeah but think what an advantage this will be for coach Fred. I mean Bill Self and Frank Martin probably don't even know how to call the NBA, right?

Yeah but think what an advantage this will be for coach Fred. I mean Bill Self and Frank Martin probably don't even know how to call the NBA, right?

I think the first signing they have for 2011 the first thing he said was something to the effect of, "My dream is to play in the league and I felt that Hoiberg can put me in the best position to do that"...so no matter how much people say it doesn't matter about his NBA ties, whether it is snake oil sales or not, it matters to recruits.

Very interesting article about Bowen and Hoiberg today, interestingly for essentially the same background Iowa paid 32k annually whereas ISU paid 900k. So if someone ever asks Pollard, exactly how much value do you place on Fred’s tenure in the front office with the Timberwolves, he should say, “The value is exactly 28x (900/32 for those that are challenged mathematically) the going rate for a former journeyman NBA player with no previous coaching experience.”

Thats your problem Miller. Its IMPOSSIBLE to have fun with cyclone fans...most of them are extremely sensitive and irrational

This reminds me of a joke:

Q: How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: That's not funny.

I don't know (nor does anyone else) how this will all play out but one thing is for certain: Recruits these days aren't like the recruits of 20 years ago. They may not even be better basketball players but they expect so damn much you don't know if they'll see their 21st birthday at the place they first committed.

College basketball, in general, is kinda messed up.

That said, I wish to congratulate North Carolina on their wins in the NIT. That pesky Dayton got in the way for another title.

Latest posts