Iowa & Iowa State hired men that played 10 years in the NBA

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
and neither had prior coaching experience at any level.

Iowa State made theirs its head coach, while Iowa hired theirs to be its video coordinator and administrative assistant.

It will certainly be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Imagine the backlash if Iowa had hired Bowen as the head coach while ISU fans are on cloud 9 and convinced Hoiberg can turn water into wine

Bowen wasnt The Mayor but he was a heck of a college player and had a nice run in the NBA

Its all about perspective

Iowa State made theirs its head coach, while Iowa hired theirs to be its video coordinator and administrative assistant.

But the big question is, does Bowen have the GM's on speed dial like Hoiberg? LOL

Thanks for telling the whole story.

What have each done since their playing career concluded?

A coach is an administrator. But in Jon's vivid imagination, Fred's administrative background in the NBA is not worth mentioning.

It's this type of clear analysis that I'm sure is destined for the Miller portfolio.

A coach is an administrator. But in Jon's vivid imagination, Fred's administrative background in the NBA is not worth mentioning.

It's this type of clear analysis that I'm sure is destined for the Miller portfolio.

We'll see how he does "administrating" against Bill Self and the rest of the "administrators" in the Big XII.

Go away, dude.

He did not fail to mention anything. Fact is they both played in the NBA for 10 years, and neither has coaching experience. Who is to say Bowen would not have worked in front office somewhere? Bowen's playing days ended a year ago. Hoiberg's ended about five years ago.

Either way, there is zero chance that you truly believe it is a good deal to hire a guy who has no coaching background at all to coach against Bill Self, Frank Martin, Rick Barnes, Mark Turgeon, etc.

Go ahead, try to spin it. Most ISU fans are great at spinning stuff after listening to mccarney for ten years.

Wasn't aware that an administrative background for one of the worst run organizations in professional sports is good prep for coaching in the Big 12.

Common sense would indicate that previous coaching experience would help as well.

Wasn't aware that an administrative background for one of the worst run organizations in professional sports is good prep for coaching in the Big 12.

Common sense would indicate that previous coaching experience would help as well.

No joke. Are you bragging about Freddy contributing to one of the worst NBA draft decisions of all-time last year when the Wolves drafted THREE point guards in the first round, including back-to-back at 5 and 6 with Flynn and Rubio? Then they took Ty Lawson later in the round. At least they traded Lawson. What about when the Wolves drafted Brandon Roy and traded him for Randy Foye. That worked out well too. Lol

Sure sounds like Fred has been working hard up in Minnesota to turn around the Wolves.....it will be interesting to watch the Wolves and Cyclones at the same time to see if the plans in place work.

FH could end up being a good hire but I think it will take some time for him to get it goig in Ames. Fran knows what it takes and has hit the ground running.

Calm down friend. No one is indicting anyone. ISU fans realize they took a risk here...one that may pay off in spades for decades to come, or one that won't work out. Just having some fun with this.

Calm down friend. No one is indicting anyone. ISU fans realize they took a risk here...one that may pay off in spades for decades to come, or one that won't work out. Just having some fun with this.

Thats your problem Miller. Its IMPOSSIBLE to have fun with cyclone fans...most of them are extremely sensitive and irrational about the mayor. I emailed an ISU acquantaince of mine about the Bowen hire and he said it wasnt a good hire because Iowa already has a former player on the staff.....and he was serious.

All you need to know is that Fred Hoiberg is the Chuck Norris of college basketball

He's been doing charity work and volunteering his time to kids' causes. Ryan Bowen is a class act and is a GREAT addition to the Hawkeye staff.

No joke. Are you bragging about Freddy contributing to one of the worst NBA draft decisions of all-time last year when the Wolves drafted THREE point guards in the first round, including back-to-back at 5 and 6 with Flynn and Rubio? Then they took Ty Lawson later in the round. At least they traded Lawson. What about when the Wolves drafted Brandon Roy and traded him for Randy Foye. That worked out well too. Lol

Hi, my name is Kevin Garnett. I'm a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best to ever play the power forward position. The morons running my last team traded me for a ham sandwhich and a set of practice jerseys. I then promptly led my new team to its first NBA championship in 22 years.

Hi, my name is Kevin Garnett. I'm a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best to ever play the power forward position. The morons running my last team traded me for a ham sandwhich and a set of practice jerseys. I then promptly led my new team to its first NBA championship in 22 years.

Classic!!! I don't care who you are, that is funny...yet, true.

Having a GM on speed dial is one thing, getting the guy to answer your call and give you the time of day is something totally different and would only happen if you are an NBA caliber player. There's way more NBA scouts than there are NBA-caliber players, so if you're good enough to play in THE LEAGUE, they'll find you. The Jazz have a guy from Africa that has played very little organized basketball in his entire life...the NBA powers that be will find you, you don't need a coach to call them...and that surely alone won't get you drafted.

Latest posts