Iowa-Indiana prediction thread

I think with the extra week to prepare I feel like the defense will come out pretty prepared and play very well. If you go back to the Missouri game it was the Coleman show, so slow down Coleman and you beat Indiana. Plus, Indiana does not have the deep threat recieving core they have had in the past couple of years which has clearly affected sudfeld this year. And 15 points against Maryland?? Therefore if Iowa can get some consistent offense in this game I think they will win something like 28-17 cruising.

I don't know what to think. If this was basketball, not knowing would be understandable. But this is football.

Indecision about Iowa beating Indiana at home in football is not comforting.

There are a few different ways to put emphasis on that sentence that makes this, to me, mindboggling.

I see the hawk defense having good gap coverage and good tackling on defense to really slow the hoosier running game, IU will get a few good runs and have to pass. IU will get a few big pass plays but I think the defense holds down their pass efficiency #s and holds them to 21-24 points.

Now to the hawk offense. IU's defense is not great, surprised Mizzou only scored about 28 or so on them but mizzou had turnovers and a blocked fg try. Will the coaches open it up and go for points. I think the plays will be called and the hawks will execute enough to win 34-24.

It's far more important to the Iowa offense that Canzeri is healthy and remain that way than who is playing quarterback

23-20 Iowa

The Indiana run game is better than a typical Indiana run game and the passing game is slightly worse at least since KW has been HC. Despite Iowa's spotty run defense I think this plays right into their hands this plus the HC crowd will be enough for the victory.

10-7 Hawks. Everyone is predicting mid 20s and some higher. I think this will be a battle of inconsistent offenses. The 2 QB system is going to backfire and slow our tempo. I hope I'm wrong though.

10-7 Hawks. Everyone is predicting mid 20s and some higher. I think this will be a battle of inconsistent offenses. The 2 QB system is going to backfire and slow our tempo. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm reminded of 2007 Illinois.

Indiana wins 31-20. Kirk has had his problems with Indiana over the years and I don't think that ends this year. Iowa can't score points and Indiana can. It all adds up to a loss in my eyes; anyone who is excited over our 4-1 record at this point hasn't been watching the games. I believe Rudock will play the entire game and throw 30 passes for around 140 total yards; I'd be very surprised to see Beathard get into the game for any reason other than Rudock getting hurt.

Last edited:
Well now I wouldn't say that he has had trouble winning. Iowa has won 7 of the last 10 vs Indiana, and they will make it 8 out of 11.

I think he'll have instructed them thoroughly on what they need to do to beat Indy. I think they'll be rusty and will not be able to execute it -- as I said, early. I do believe they'll settle down and contain Indy but they will give up 24 points in the first half.

Meanwhile, I don't believe the offense will be able to score enough, let alone, rally from a 14-point deficit, since they will be starting out / playing at least "half" of the game with one "arm" tied behind their back, if you get my drift.

Ok, we are giving up an average of 16 now or something like that...and you think Indiana scores 24 in the first half. I'd take that bet. If all goes well and our offense plays at all. Indiana may get 5-6 drives in the first half. I just don't see them scoring 24.

You stop the run on first down, and you bring in a nickel or dime package and blitz on 2nd and 3rd. Sudfield will crack and we will get turnovers.

Phil Parker plays to win. Now if he can only get his counterparts on offense to do the same.

Indiana wins 31-20. Kirk has had his problems with Indiana over the years and I don't think that ends this year. Iowa can't score points and and Indiana can. It all adds up to a a loss in my eyes; anyone who is excited over our 4-1 record at this point hasn't been watching the games. I believe Rudock will play the entire game and throw 30 passes for around 140 total yards; I'd be very surprised to see Beathard get into the game for any reason other than Rudock getting hurt.

Unfortunately I believe this will be close to what happens. Beathard might get one, maybe two series, at some inexplicable time. I still don't think KF wants a messy QB situation so I think he might go out of his way to stick with Jake even if he struggles, or keeps it close but doesn't shine. Plus my gut tells me there is some disagreement between him and GD regarding this situation and quite possibly the offense at large. Go back and read GD's comments and between the lines in his presser from a couple of weeks ago. Especially his thoughts on "personnel." And , "Kirk is the head coach". Or something to that effect.

For those of you who think KF is playing the sly fox to trip up Indiana really makes me chuckle. When has he ever done this? Ever? I don't believe he really does have a plan for the two quarterbacks. Other than he is loyal to Jake, more critical of CJB, plus he views the progression of Jake being one year older and CJ getting his "real/fair" shot as a senior the less controversial approach. I hope I am wrong.

My bigger concern is with exception of Illinois, our easiest games are behind us and I believe this offense will continue to be a mess. I dont think it gets sorted out in the remaining seven games (meat of our schedule) especially if the QB situation is unsettled. KF is not an offensive mastermind obviously. And even if GD was KF would probably get in his way.

Unfortunately I believe this will be close to what happens. Beathard might get one, maybe two series, at some inexplicable time. I still don't think KF wants a messy QB situation so I think he might go out of his way to stick with Jake even if he struggles, or keeps it close but doesn't shine. Plus my gut tells me there is some disagreement between him and GD regarding this situation and quite possibly the offense at large. Go back and read GD's comments and between the lines in his presser from a couple of weeks ago. Especially his thoughts on "personnel." And , "Kirk is the head coach". Or something to that effect.

For those of you who think KF is playing the sly fox to trip up Indiana really makes me chuckle. When has he ever done this? Ever? I don't believe he really does have a plan for the two quarterbacks. Other than he is loyal to Jake, more critical of CJB, plus he views the progression of Jake being one year older and CJ getting his "real/fair" shot as a senior the less controversial approach. I hope I am wrong.

My bigger concern is with exception of Illinois, our easiest games are behind us and I believe this offense will continue to be a mess. I dont think it gets sorted out in the remaining seven games (meat of our schedule) especially if the QB situation is unsettled. KF is not an offensive mastermind obviously. And even if GD was KF would probably get in his way.

Agree. I can also see a situation where Iowa falls behind by a couple of touchdowns under Jake...CJ is put in but is not able to bring the team back from being down that far, and Kirk basically saying "See, I know best" and go with Jake 100% full time.

Latest posts