Iowa Hoops Attendance up 5th most in NCAA

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Brown: Iowa attendance has fifth-largest bump in U.S. | Hawk Central

Now, when you can say that you had the 5th largest attendance increase year to year, that's not a good thing usually...its sort of like saying 'We're the fastest growing....' It means you had a sucky place to start from.

BUT...its better than going down...

Iowa's actual fans in the seats last year was 7,256, less than half full...however the year prior, Lickliter's last, it was 5,160, which is less than 1/3 capacity

I really hope attendance continues to go up. It has been embarressing for about 6-7 years now .

Brown: Iowa attendance has fifth-largest bump in U.S. | Hawk Central

Now, when you can say that you had the 5th largest attendance increase year to year, that's not a good thing usually...its sort of like saying 'We're the fastest growing....' It means you had a sucky place to start from.

BUT...its better than going down...

Iowa's actual fans in the seats last year was 7,256, less than half full...however the year prior, Lickliter's last, it was 5,160, which is less than 1/3 capacity

Wow, the four teams ahead of us must have really sucked.

It will be nice to see Carver back to it's good ol' packed self. Students still need to have more prominent seats though.

and that was 31st nationally? wow, some schools must not get any fan support at all!

Smaller arenas. Just for the sake of comparison, Duke's arena seats less than 10k, Northwestern's seats just over 8k, and Georgia Tech's is 9100. A capacity of 15,500 is actually quite large for a college arena, especially when compared to the 300+ other division I teams.

I really hope attendance continues to go up. It has been embarressing for about 6-7 years now .

2006 i'm pretty sure we sold out almost every conference game. I remember thinking that I wished they would have built Carver to a larger capacity.
2007 wasn't much different.

It will be nice to see Carver back to it's good ol' packed self. Students still need to have more prominent seats though.

As it is now there is a pretty good sized group of graduates/students that never had the "Carver Love" experience. While they may very well be good fans, they are far less likely to as passionate of ticket holders / donors than preceeding classes. That is something that I hope begins to change ASAP. Some meaningfull late season games with a heated and passionate environment can do wonders even this season.

Last edited:
I think that this team is going to be good enough to start the conference season off with only 2 or 3 losses, although I suppose it depends on what the slate looks like.

If that happens, your Big 10 season will be sold out every game. I think we go 500 in conference next year. A couple wins in the tournament, and we might even get to go dancing, but I think at the very least we're in the NIT next year.

I think that this team is going to be good enough to start the conference season off with only 2 or 3 losses, although I suppose it depends on what the slate looks like.

If that happens, your Big 10 season will be sold out every game. I think we go 500 in conference next year. A couple wins in the tournament, and we might even get to go dancing, but I think at the very least we're in the NIT next year.

If we can control our home court for the most part and like I said before, be playing meaningfull games late in the season, I agree attendance will really jump.

If that happens, your Big 10 season will be sold out every game. year.

That is asking too much. It takes time to build a basketball following. Too many weather and other concerns. Also, it is a very big arena. Finally, basketball attendance is down everywhere due to the perception that the regular season does not mean much. So Iowa will have to do way more than beat the usual suspects in the preseason to sell out their conference slate.

Last edited:

Latest posts