Iowa has now underachieved 6 of the last 7 seasons

To whoever said we needed a running QB, the starting QB's for 6 of the teams in the top 10 have FEWER running yards than JV.

Isn't there generally an article coming out every year or so showing the teams that over-achieve based on recruiting and Iowa is always near the top? Would love to see what Kirk and Norm could do with just one of Texas' recruiting classes. Then again, Texas doesn't really have to recruit. They pretty much pick out who they want here and offer them.

I've never had to recruit, or was recruited, so don't really have a whole lot of knowledge on the subject but you have to wonder why Iowa struggles some times. Can anyone tell me who the last defensive lineman was that did NOT at least get a free agent contract? Yet, Iowa has struggled mightily the last couple years in recruiting this area as we are seeing this year. You would think the staff would use that as a plus. "I know you want to play in the NFL. The last XX defensive linemen to start for us have all played in the league."

Getting rid of KF would be a mistake. Shaking up the staff might be needed though. Truth is none of us are on the sideline, or in practice, or in the film room, or any of that. So we don't really know just what is going on and that makes it easy for some people to criticize from the internet. I sure as hell know I couldn't do a better job than KF, but KOK sure makes me wonder if I could do a better job than him sometimes.

You really think the Defense is the problem?
Really?
The offense lost us more games the past two years than the defense did.
Fact.

Listened to both the Nebraska and Iowa call in shows on the way back. Even some of our fans seem to think this is good enough. "Young team", except they're really not. "Best coaching staff in the country", one guy said.

Nebraska's call in show? Talking about how to get past disappointing 9 win seasons.

The first quarter, which we won, should be enough to ask for KoK to retire.

I'm so hot, I'm quoting myself. One guys called in to the Iowa show, and said we actually "over achieved" this season. Seriously. They're ****** at Nebraska at being 9-3, and we over achieved? A completely different mind set. Kinda why 10% of us make 90% of the money. Not more brains, but a different attitude.

I'm so hot, I'm quoting myself. One guys called in to the Iowa show, and said we actually "over achieved" this season. Seriously. They're ****** at Nebraska at being 9-3, and we over achieved? A completely different mind set. Kinda why 10% of us make 90% of the money. Not more brains, but a different attitude.

not neccessarily, it is the people that can accurately predict their business that are the most successfull.

So looking at this season, most of us said 7-8 wins. (I said 8, personally w/o the bowl result included).

Spades are spades in my deck of cards. I think when emotion creeps into "predictions" of teams you follow the numbers get diistorted.

I Hope You are not expecting more than 8/9 wins next year.... we will be favored in 9 games, but we will win 8. Stinks because you very people will be out again next year after we start 4-1//5-0, and finish 8-4/9-3.

not neccessarily, it is the people that can accurately predict their business that are the most successfull.

So looking at this season, most of us said 7-8 wins. (I said 8, personally w/o the bowl result included).

Spades are spades in my deck of cards. I think when emotion creeps into "predictions" of teams you follow the numbers get diistorted.

I Hope You are not expecting more than 8/9 wins next year.... we will be favored in 9 games, but we will win 8. Stinks because you very people will be out again next year after we start 4-1//5-0, and finish 8-4/9-3.

I don't think you could categorize me in the group who expect 8-9 wins next season. Because unless it's an accident, we probably won't.

Well, if we do, given the dinosaur offense KF has KOK running, we should get a top 5 "pro style" statue QB every year in recruiting. No one else is recruiting them anymore, so we should be landing a stud out of Texas, Florida or California every season, as surely there is one solid statue QB in those football rich territories every year. Yet we go to QB meccas like Keokuk and Tuscola, IL for our 1 and 2 QBs. Hopefully, Rudock can change it up and build us up a FL pipeline.

I think you can still win with statue QBs, but they need to have pocket presence to make that step up or sidestep when heat is coming and they need to have masterful decision making to go with a huge, accurate arm.
Hah! Exactly. Sadly, they have not yet even found one from anywhere who will sign up to come here this year.

2008 was not an underachieving year and considering how close the losses were that year it wasn't the biggest surprise that in 2009 with mostly the same starters those close games fell our way.

I agree with most of everything else everyone is saying. Especially that 2010 was maybe the most disappointing season in Hawkeye history, I think the bad taste left over from last year's under achieving is the biggest reason fans have been as frustrated after losses this year.

Overall the 'experts' were right this year, most national critics had Iowa finishing behind Nebraska, Michigan State and Michigan which ****** me off back in August. What pisses me off in November is that those jerks who nearly always under estimate Iowa were right this year.

Take a look. Far from underachieving. An avg. conference finish of 3.6 over the last ten years....

29 regular season wins from 2002-2004, and only 51 from 2005-2011, with 2 seasons of only 6 wins.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football

But hey, we should be happy with underachieving. After all, "we're only Iowa". And we can think about Texas, and Florida, and Tom Davis, blah blah mediocrity blah blah.

You really think the Defense is the problem?
Really?
The offense lost us more games the past two years than the defense did.
Fact.

Facts: In the Big Ten this season, Iowa averaged 24.125 points/game scoring, and 23 points/game allowed. (Not to mention, we didn't have a QB throwing several pick-6's.)

The offense is comparable to seasons past, including some of Iowa's best seasons (21.75 pts/game in the Big Ten in 2009, 24.88 in 2004), whereas the defense was probably the worst in a decade.

So, you know what these numbers tell me? The offense did enough, but the defense didn't hold up its end.

Facts: In the Big Ten this season, Iowa averaged 24.125 points/game scoring, and 23 points/game allowed. (Not to mention, we didn't have a QB throwing several pick-6's.)

The offense is comparable to seasons past, including some of Iowa's best seasons (21.75 pts/game in the Big Ten in 2009, 24.88 in 2004), whereas the defense was probably the worst in a decade.

So, you know what these numbers tell me? The offense did enough, but the defense didn't hold up its end.

I realize what you are saying but how many points did they put up in their big ten loses. They scored a lot of points against terrible defenses. Offense didn't show up in road games or against decent teams. Same problem for 7 years but we don't have a top ten defense to bail them out. Offense has been the weak link every year but one under Ferentz.

It's a fine line between 10-2 and 6-6 and we've seen it both ways. The program is stale and needs new ideas and passion. I just don't see it out of KF or the team and that's really disappointing.

29 regular season wins from 2002-2004, and only 51 from 2005-2011, with 2 seasons of only 6 wins.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football

But hey, we should be happy with underachieving. After all, "we're only Iowa". And we can think about Texas, and Florida, and Tom Davis, blah blah mediocrity blah blah.

your just like a kid visibly unhappy with a gift just after having it opened. Look at the season objectively. Even in our best years, we were not the same on the road. When has that not been the case?

In order to be consistently "good" or "great" in your eyes we neeed 9 plus wins year in and year out?

In order to be consistant at any level, you first have to be consistant. So we have yet to be fully consistant year in year out. (another word for consistant here would be "reload").

patience is a virtue. KF is best suited for Iowa to back to the Rose Bowl anytime soon!

IOWA IS NOT trending downwards. Iowa is trending exactly as Iowa has trended in the KF era. 3 years 7 or fewer wins, 3 years 8 or more wins.

That is the ONLY actual trend. NOW KF can actually break this trend with a bowl game victory. Which at 8 wins would mean Iowa was still in their up pattern.

But, depending on who Iowa pulls in the Meineke Bowl, it could be a VERY long day.

But he has led them to two BCS games. The Rose Bowl of the pre-BCS era is not the same as now.

The Rose Bowl, out of all the BCS bowls is the worst choice for Iowa.

The reasons why should be self-evident, but aren't to those that hold on to the past, and are happy with "good enough", "young team" and "rebuilding year."

Latest posts