Iowa Has Made Massive Improvement This Year

I would say the defense has turned the corner. Offence still very weak. Athletically and physically just not there. FM has done a great job with what he's got to work with. I don't see a much changing next year.
Wow, really?? I expect a tremendous jump next year. The additions of Jok and Uthoff will provide immediate impact. Those are two players who are legitimate outside threats. Once a team can shoot from 3 everything becomes easier on the inside.
I look for a top 20 ranked team by year's end, a top 4 finish in the B1G, and a nice NCAA tourney run.

Great strides as a team. Negative comments (frustration) relate to not "cashing in" on golden opportunities to easily make it to the Big Dance.

Gessel was more impactful than expected by most and Woodbury probably a little less so, at least on the offensive end.
Gessel plays with confidence that few others on the team do. For Iowa to be a top 4 team in conference, Woodbury needs to be the most improved player on the team. He will improve next season, I hope he is a 12ppg, 8 rpg next year.

Marble at his best was a definite improvement from one year ago, his complete "screw ups (isolation play turnovers)" at key times were some of the most most frustrating to live with in quite some time. His play can make or break the team. Hawks lost three close games when he was out (MSU) or didn't show up (Minn, & WI).

Clemmons showed flashes of really good play and potential. His confidence was shaken when his playing time went down. He will compete for starting point guard next season.
May had an interesting career, and will go out with a positive as he plays a nice floor game. It's too bad he didn't play with any confidence offensively for a couple years. He has been a terrific captain this season.

Basabe's minutes were cut back to give Woodbury (the future) more playing time and I think that hurt the team this season significantly. If Mel played 32 minutes per game, the team wins a couple more games. He improved his mid-range jump shot tremendously and could have been a 14 ppg and 9 rpg guy if he had the minutes.

White had a really nice year. He needs to improve his shooting to get to the next level. If he could hit 35%+ from 3 point range he would be really tough to defend as his driving and finishing at the hoop is his strength.

Ogelsby - He has peaked as a player. He has a beautiful shot. He could make a much higher percentage next year, but I do not see him playing much with the new guys coming in unless it's as a zone buster. He could spark a couple scoring runs.
Gabe - he could contribute defensively against teams with a tall front lines, otherwise he should be relegated to number one cheerleader from the bench as he has no offensive ability other than a possible put back.

McCabe - tries hard, but has terribly slow feet. (exp. 4 fouls in 3 minutes trying to guard IU bigs). His minutes have been reduced lately and expect him to sit next to Gabe quite a bit next season as the new, more talented guys check in.

Ingram showed a few flashes offensively and it will be interesting to see how he progresses next season. Maybe thinks about transferring if he wants more of an opportunity. Five years ago, he may have been our starting two guard and we would have been discussing his future prominently.

It's great to have depth and conversations about who should start and how far the team can go. The glass is half-full and now the players and coaches need to improve to get to the level that they and the fans want and expect going forward.

Is Iowa's RPI better from beating more ranked teams or losing to better teams? I thought Iowa had 4 wins vs ranked teams last year compared to 1 this year

Again I say those 4 games are all anyone remembers from last year. I also remember losing at home to Campbell and Clemson, twice to Northwestern, twice to Purdue, at Penn State, at Illinois, at home against Nebraska, being blown out by Mich State twice as well as Ohio State, Creighton, UNI. There are 5 games out of 35 that would indicate Iowa was as good last year as they are this year. The other 30 clearly show an enormous improvement from last year.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised next year at this time...knowing we're in and seeing thread after thread discussing/arguing what we have to do to get a 3 seed rather than a 6 seed.

My way out of left field prediction...Clemmons makes the type of improvement that Marble did between his freshman and sophomore years. He has hops, gets pulled for in game coaching when he makes a mistake and goes back in and continues to be aggressive (not afraid to make a mistake). I think he is going to be special...not intended to be a knock on anyone else but rather an endorsement of what Clemmons could be.

Great points and I hope each player puts in the work and improves. I've seen too many times as of late players not developing or taking steps back in there development. They can push the ball well as a team but the half court offence has to get better. When they are force to run the offence in the Big Ten play the offence get stagnant and turns it over way to much. That is where we are missing the physical and athletic players. A year in the weight room will help but I think we'll be in the same bubble talk again next year. At least we're being talked about.

Defensively it has been night and day. They have only fallen apart one time like last year, at Michigan. The cold shooting is tough to stomach, but the defense will be there to keep them in games. All I ask is a couple weeks of hot shooting and the Hawks could have a pretty special March.
Virginia Tech? Wichita State? With certain personnel on the court in Iowa's last game against Indiana, the middle was wide open. Have I missed other games?

Woodbury - I think he's good now and will be very good next year. We just have too much depth for him to go 12 and 8 next year IMO. I do believe he will be a presence inside.

Marble - He was hurt and then played hurt, with no confidence or whatever... If he doesn't get hurt I believe some losses move to the win column.

Basabe - He was hurt. He couldn't play 30 plus minutes a game until recently...injuries also impact conditioning. Again, a healthy Basabe probably moves a loss or 2 to the win column.

Oglesby - I'm not convinced he has peaked. I think he has a pretty high basketball IQ. I also think he will shoot better...partially because there will be less pressure thanks to more shooters.

McCabe - He has had some big games and done some good things. I think he kind of slumped this year but expect him to come back his senior year and at the very least shoot well from the line and the arc. He's an asset off the bench with his skill set, his moxie and willingness to "fight" against anybody at any time.

Great strides as a team. Negative comments (frustration) relate to not "cashing in" on golden opportunities to easily make it to the Big Dance.

Gessel was more impactful than expected by most and Woodbury probably a little less so, at least on the offensive end.
Gessel plays with confidence that few others on the team do. For Iowa to be a top 4 team in conference, Woodbury needs to be the most improved player on the team. He will improve next season, I hope he is a 12ppg, 8 rpg next year.

Marble at his best was a definite improvement from one year ago, his complete "screw ups (isolation play turnovers)" at key times were some of the most most frustrating to live with in quite some time. His play can make or break the team. Hawks lost three close games when he was out (MSU) or didn't show up (Minn, & WI).

Clemmons showed flashes of really good play and potential. His confidence was shaken when his playing time went down. He will compete for starting point guard next season.
May had an interesting career, and will go out with a positive as he plays a nice floor game. It's too bad he didn't play with any confidence offensively for a couple years. He has been a terrific captain this season.

Basabe's minutes were cut back to give Woodbury (the future) more playing time and I think that hurt the team this season significantly. If Mel played 32 minutes per game, the team wins a couple more games. He improved his mid-range jump shot tremendously and could have been a 14 ppg and 9 rpg guy if he had the minutes.

White had a really nice year. He needs to improve his shooting to get to the next level. If he could hit 35%+ from 3 point range he would be really tough to defend as his driving and finishing at the hoop is his strength.

Ogelsby - He has peaked as a player. He has a beautiful shot. He could make a much higher percentage next year, but I do not see him playing much with the new guys coming in unless it's as a zone buster. He could spark a couple scoring runs.
Gabe - he could contribute defensively against teams with a tall front lines, otherwise he should be relegated to number one cheerleader from the bench as he has no offensive ability other than a possible put back.

McCabe - tries hard, but has terribly slow feet. (exp. 4 fouls in 3 minutes trying to guard IU bigs). His minutes have been reduced lately and expect him to sit next to Gabe quite a bit next season as the new, more talented guys check in.

Ingram showed a few flashes offensively and it will be interesting to see how he progresses next season. Maybe thinks about transferring if he wants more of an opportunity. Five years ago, he may have been our starting two guard and we would have been discussing his future prominently.

It's great to have depth and conversations about who should start and how far the team can go. The glass is half-full and now the players and coaches need to improve to get to the level that they and the fans want and expect going forward.

Woodbury - I think he's good now and will be very good next year. We just have too much depth for him to go 12 and 8 next year IMO. I do believe he will be a presence inside.

Marble - He was hurt and then played hurt, with no confidence or whatever... If he doesn't get hurt I believe some losses move to the win column.

Basabe - He was hurt. He couldn't play 30 plus minutes a game until recently...injuries also impact conditioning. Again, a healthy Basabe probably moves a loss or 2 to the win column.

Oglesby - I'm not convinced he has peaked. I think he has a pretty high basketball IQ. I also think he will shoot better...partially because there will be less pressure thanks to more shooters.

McCabe - He has had some big games and done some good things. I think he kind of slumped this year but expect him to come back his senior year and at the very least shoot well from the line and the arc. He's an asset off the bench with his skill set, his moxie and willingness to "fight" against anybody at any time.

Marble - life happens. Losses are losses. Most every team has injuries except for IL this year. I'll grant you maybe 1 or 2.

Basabe - Injuries happen to most all teams. 2 wins more? Hopium.

Ogelsby peaked? that's a scary thought. He doesn't get that much pressure on the screens. He just misses mostly.

McCabe - up for a good fight = scrum which is our strongest offense and defense right now

Woody = Good now? When did Fran increase his minutes?

Player that is the best opportunity for helping us make a run? Ogelsby.

The most positive thing to take is that Fran has turned this team into a team of some (but not equal across the board) fight. That was missing in past years.

Virginia Tech? Wichita State? With certain personnel on the court in Iowa's last game against Indiana, the middle was wide open. Have I missed other games?

Virginia Tech and Wichita State were a long time ago. We are not the same team as we were then. We have out played badly in 3 20 minute stretches of basketball in conference. That is a huge improvement from last year.

Latest posts