Iowa getting Nike Combat Uni's

Some of you freaking out about how Nike is going to "screw up" the jerseys- just slow down. Ohio State and Texas did Pro Combat throwbacks that turned out to be just fine. My guess would be Iowa does a style that plays on a throwback jersey- but even if not I think it will still be more conservative than most.

If you don't personally like them, that's fine... but to argue that it doesn't matter to recruits I think is off base. Probably a little trendy- but if it's for one or two games tops and the kids like 'em... then hey, why not.

I hope they go with this one. It looks totally bad-azz:

iowav.jpg

Nike Pro Combat Uniforms - Nike Football

they will come up with something awesome for our colors...

Ok, i'm 37 and that Oregon State uniform is badass.
As far as those Iowa ones with the yellow jersey and helmet - i'm down... I think they look friggin' sweet myself. New but traditional at the same time.

I'm all for a yellow jersey and the occasional optional look.

Get with the times people... can't stay old and stuck in the mud forever.

Some of you freaking out about how Nike is going to "screw up" the jerseys- just slow down. Ohio State and Texas did Pro Combat throwbacks that turned out to be just fine. My guess would be Iowa does a style that plays on a throwback jersey- but even if not I think it will still be more conservative than most.

If you don't personally like them, that's fine... but to argue that it doesn't matter to recruits I think is off base. Probably a little trendy- but if it's for one or two games tops and the kids like 'em... then hey, why not.

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll go the more-conservative route. KF isn't going to be dragged into some oregon/Boise St awfulness. He'll settle for the OSU/Tecas awfulness, though.

Is there any way they could wear these for a road game? I could handle that. Frankly, the road uniforms kind of suck anyway.

I happen to like the idea and as someone who is younger it would appeal to me to be in a program that has the ability to adapt to the times and trends.

Using the idea that "the uniforms are recognizable" is really not correct. The only thing truly recognizable about the Hawks is the TigerHawk. Take it off the uniforms and everyone thinks we are the Steelers, take everything else off and leave the TigerHawk and you still have the Iowa Hawkeyes. Take this from somebody who knows several people who dont really care about Iowa and have made a Steelers comment.

People(generally the older crowd) think that if we have procombat uni's we are gunna turn into Oregon. Not gunna happen. It would be no different than wearing throwbacks during the season. And imagine a high profile night game with the crowd all in yellow and the team in an aggressive looking all black uniform with only a yellow TigerHawk on the side of the helmet. Sounds cool to me.

Guys, I am 26. I LOVE our uniforms and do not want to change them! BUT if this is going to happen, I figure I might as well get on board with it! I posted this on my FB page, and within 5 minutes, three Iowa players/incoming freshmen "liked" it. I also texted a prominent 2012 recruit about them and he already knew and LOVED it! Just my two cents.

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll go the more-conservative route. KF isn't going to be dragged into some oregon/Boise St awfulness. He'll settle for the OSU/Tecas awfulness, though.

Personally didn't think the OSU/Texas ones were that bad... or even the Florida ones. The Florida ones were still somewhat traditional with some unique color/logo usages. Although, I still love the traditional unis it would/will be interesting to say the least to see what would be produced for the Hawks.

Can anyone tell me exactly what is so great about the uniforms? Are they more breathable? Longer-lasting? Move better with the player? Provide any competitive advantage whatsoever?

Or is it just the fancy colors that everyone finds glamorous?

well this was all short lived. Tweet by Morehouse I believe said no combat uni's for Iowa. He went on to say Nike decides on the teams in June they are going to do for the 2011 season according to his Nike rep.

Damn!

Can anyone tell me exactly what is so great about the uniforms? Are they more breathable? Longer-lasting? Move better with the player? Provide any competitive advantage whatsoever?

I believe the fit is better and also it is more breathable.

They look tighter fitting, so I imagine that would make it harder to tackle.

How is this different from the throwback uniforms everyone seems to like so much?

Those are actual "blasts from the past" and usually from an era that brings back good memories...pro combat is "dude, let's get REALLY wasted and see what kind of sh!t we can come up with and make a school wear"...

Latest posts