Iowa Football & Ron Zook

MelroseHawkins

I was just thinking that Iowa may very well never again get the opportunity to play against Ron Zook, at least with Illinoy. What are the odds he'll be gone at the end of this season? 90% gone
10% stays

Illinoy is in scramble mode so much with their coaching staff & even trying to find an identity.

Well, It was nice watching Iowa play him & just dawned on me that Iowa's days of playing him are numbered, & actually prob over.

Given another set of new coaches, and the fact that they handed the offense to a freshman who by their own accounts, can't pass very well, but can run, tells me they expect him to be running for his life. Too bad there aren't any "playmakers" in C-U since that is one of the reasons NS choose them over us. You think he'd love to have DJK and McNutt out there to help out or Eddie McGhee?

With RG as their athletic director, I wouldn't ever assume that Zook would be fired.

Regardless, I think Illinois does enough this season to make a bowl game. So I think we will get a chance to face him again.

Illinois won't make a bowl. They'll be duking it out with Minny for 10th place. They'll lose their opener against Mizzou, win in non-convincing fashion against the directional Illinois schools, then lose 6 in a row before beating Minny, and then lose their last 2. 3-9 (1-7), no bowl, Zook fired, mass transfers.

Illinois won't make a bowl. They'll be duking it out with Minny for 10th place. They'll lose their opener against Mizzou, win in non-convincing fashion against the directional Illinois schools, then lose 6 in a row before beating Minny, and then lose their last 2. 3-9 (1-7), no bowl, Zook fired, mass transfers.

I think you are being optimistic. Mizzou will pound them. N Ill is a pretty decent team this year, with a lot of folks coming back from a team that lost a close one at Wisky last year on a late comeback. S Ill, they should beat, though. Maybe they can get Minny or Indy at home, but I doubt it.

99.9% Zook
70% Richrod
60% Brewster
50% Lynch

Zook is a terrific recruiter, can run a defense, got a good defensive mind if he is in a coordinator role, to use a Deace like phrase "he just isn't a leader of men."

So I guess that great series that airs on the BT Network Illinois Football: The Journey was all about their journey into the cellar of the Big Ten? That can't seriously be on this fall still, could it?

So I guess that great series that airs on the BT Network Illinois Football: The Journey was all about their journey into the cellar of the Big Ten? That can't seriously be on this fall still, could it?

That show was pretty much the start of their free-fall. Good old Zook more worried about showcasing & promoting his team instead of coaching. That would be embarrasing. It's great a national audience could watch.

That show was pretty much the start of their free-fall. Good old Zook more worried about showcasing & promoting his team instead of coaching. That would be embarrasing. It's great a national audience could watch.

I will never forget seeing the final episode after that disapointing season..zook had them all in a room and opened by saying something like..''we never had the chemistry''...it was brutal.

These reality shows on sports teams work so much better for their fans when the team has a good season...praying that the White Sox continue their good year as MLB Network is doing a series on them..The Club.

As for Zook, I think they will keep him around unless they totally fall apart with 2-3 wins total. Expensive to fire.

After going back and looking at their schedule, you could be right that they don't make a bowl. But I don't agree with your record prediction. Personally, I want Zook to be at Illinois for a while, so I hope they find a way to go 6-6. Cause I can't see him getting fired if he makes any bowl game.

The Road to an Illinois Bowl Game

09/04/10 vs. Missouri LOSS
09/11/10 vs. SOUTHERN ILLINOIS WIN
09/18/10 vs. NORTHERN ILLINOIS WIN
10/02/10 vs. OHIO STATE LOSS
10/09/10 at Penn State LOSS
10/16/10 at Michigan State LOSS
10/23/10 vs. INDIANA WIN
10/30/10 vs. PURDUE WIN
11/06/10 at Michigan LOSS
11/13/10 vs. MINNESOTA WIN
11/20/10 vs. Northwestern LOSS
12/03/10 at Fresno St WIN

Last edited:
We need to get some people to make signs for some of our nationally televised games with his picture on them with a statement saying

<somebody insert picture here>

"We'll miss you Zook"

I hope he comes back for one more season. I'd hate to give him the last laugh since he won the most recent game versus KF.

After going back and looking at their schedule, you could be right that they don't make a bowl. But I don't agree with your record prediction. Personally, I want Zook to be at Illinois for a while, so I hope they find a way to go 6-6. Cause I can't see him getting fired if he makes any bowl game.

The Road to an Illinois Bowl Game

09/04/10 vs. Missouri LOSS
09/11/10 vs. SOUTHERN ILLINOIS WIN
09/18/10 vs. NORTHERN ILLINOIS WIN
10/02/10 vs. OHIO STATE LOSS
10/09/10 at Penn State LOSS
10/16/10 at Michigan State LOSS
10/23/10 vs. INDIANA WIN
10/30/10 vs. PURDUE WIN
11/06/10 at Michigan LOSS
11/13/10 vs. MINNESOTA WIN
11/20/10 vs. Northwestern LOSS
12/03/10 at Fresno St WIN

Unless fresno St has taken a serious hit in talent this year, i would predict this in the preseason as a lose. Ill. Has the talent to win games. I have to say, unless things turn around for them, we can only predict their season based on previous season with very talented players. We all know that they had one good year under the zook. So it would not surprise me to see them step it up this year, but also i would not be surprised to see them tank yet again.

Illinois is having money problems and is still dealing with the aftershocks of an admissions scandal so I think if Zook can show any decent amount of improvement this year he is safe. At least 5 wins and he returns.

Brewster on the other hand....

Unless fresno St has taken a serious hit in talent this year, i would predict this in the preseason as a lose. Ill. Has the talent to win games. I have to say, unless things turn around for them, we can only predict their season based on previous season with very talented players. We all know that they had one good year under the zook. So it would not surprise me to see them step it up this year, but also i would not be surprised to see them tank yet again.

C'mon dude. I'm trying to figure out a way for Illinois to keep Zook and not bring in someone like Mike Leach next year. Work with me. :)

I hate zook and illannoy as much as regis has-benn hates Iowa. :D

Nevertheless, I'd like it if he were retained so KF and the boys could kick him in the sack in 2011.

I hope he comes back for one more season. I'd hate to give him the last laugh since he won the most recent game versus KF.

You just know that Ron's next job interview will go something like this...

Future School's AD: Gosh Ron, that was a REALLY long list...so now let's shift to some of the high points of your career...

The Zooker: Well well, shoot...hmm...OH! In my last 3 years we were undefeated against Kirk Ferentz and Iowa!

Future School's AD: It says here you only played them once in that time frame...

The Zooker: Hmm?

Latest posts