Iowa Football Preview, Prediction: Unbeaten Minnesota Rows into Kinnick

I still think Minny is fools gold in the sense that they are this great team going to the promised land. Penn St is also not that great either.

Iowa could actually win this game convincingly. It would not be an upset in my mind. It would be a good win against a good team.

Agreed. Their win over Penn State reminded me of our win over Ohio State where a crazy home environment no doubt played a huge factor. The differences are that Ohio State was way better than this Penn State team and our margin of victory was much higher. I'm still not convinced Minnesota is that great.

WRONG. Theyre a concocted rival. Minny goes back decades.
Nobody ever said anything about them being a rivalry. Nebraska is a complete tire fire top to bottom and losing to them would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to Iowa football from a W/L standpoint.

Minny looked like the real deal against Penn St. Their QB was accurate, the o-line is huge and most importantly for them, Minny was able to keep the Penn St. d-line in check which surprised me. I think the thing that worries me the most is those big, athletic receivers they trot out there. That will be the deciding factor Saturday I think. If we can cover them and get some pressure on the QB I think we win a close one. If Minny throws all over the place, we are in trouble. I don't see the Hawks offense in a slug fest trying to outscore them. So...I'm going with Hawks 21- 17 and keeping the hardware.

Agreed. Their win over Penn State reminded me of our win over Ohio State where a crazy home environment no doubt played a huge factor. The differences are that Ohio State was way better than this Penn State team and our margin of victory was much higher. I'm still not convinced Minnesota is that great.

Im not either. The Penn State QB was absolutely terrible.

Minny looked like the real deal against Penn St. Their QB was accurate, the o-line is huge and most importantly for them, Minny was able to keep the Penn St. d-line in check which surprised me. I think the thing that worries me the most is those big, athletic receivers they trot out there. That will be the deciding factor Saturday I think. If we can cover them and get some pressure on the QB I think we win a close one. If Minny throws all over the place, we are in trouble. I don't see the Hawks offense in a slug fest trying to outscore them. So...I'm going with Hawks 21- 17 and keeping the hardware.

After what I've seen in conference play I don't see this offense in a slug fest trying to outscore anyone.

I dunno, under the machinery that is BF and NS, Iowa has exactly one win over a BIG opponent that has a .500 record, or better in conference play. And while this is cherry picking, beating tOSU on 2017 was clearly an aberration. I think Iowa drops this one because they can't score, and Minnesota can. 27-14 Gophers.

I want Iowa to win (even if I'm not very excited about this game). But my brain tells me that Minnesota is the better team. By a lot.

Minnesota 34
Iowa 15

Im not either. The Penn State QB was absolutely terrible.

Agree - besides that the Penn St. defense last Saturday was not the one who stuffed Michigan in the first half or blitzed the hell out of Iowa at Kinnick. They were missing a few key bodies. Think PSU really didn't believe Minny was that good until halftime - then it was too late.

Gonna hear the “Who hates Iowa” chant in Kinnick this weekend. That’s going to be fucking annoying as hell.

Floyd and more on the line when Hawkeyes, Gophers face off:

LINK
Hawks will lose again. Minnesota has much more to play for and they are way more physical than Iowa. Minnesota running backs will run for 250+. Iowa has no run defense. Iowa's offense will again be ineffective. Iowa has no running game and they will not be able to protect Stanley. Minnesota has one of the best defensive backs in the country.

Long afternoon for Iowa. Minnesota wins 35-17.

I need to see Minnesota go on the road and beat a good team in a tough environment with the pressure on. Iowa hasn't been able to do that in conference play in awhile.
Iowa will not be a tough road environment Saturday. Fans are tired and have low expectations.

Iowa will not be a tough road environment Saturday. Fans are tired and have low expectations.
The game is sold out, but okay.

Also if you're basing our run D off of 1 performance against one of the best rushing offenses in the country yearly, you've started off on the wrong foot.

The game is sold out, but okay.

Also if you're basing our run D off of 1 performance against one of the best rushing offenses in the country yearly, you've started off on the wrong foot.

Iowa has lost at least 2 home games in each of the 3 prior seasons to this one.

Since BF took over at OC, Iowa is 7-5 B1G record in Kinnick. Regardless of how many tickets have been sold or how many people show up or how much noise they make, Kinnick is not a hard stadium for visiting teams to come in and get a win.

Iowa has lost at least 2 home games in each of the 3 prior seasons to this one.

Since BF took over at OC, Iowa is 7-5 B1G record in Kinnick. Regardless of how many tickets have been sold or how many people show up or how much noise they make, Kinnick is not a hard stadium for visiting teams to come in and get a win.
My point was that his claim that people would't show up was entirely false.

We were 100 people short of a sellout against Purdue, on a pretty poor day weather-wise, directly following 2 losses in a row with a much worse offensive performance that what we saw vs Wisconsin.

This message board is not very indicative of the Iowa fanbase as a whole.

A top 25 afternoon matchup against a close rival is gonna draw a crowd regardless.

Once again Iowa has to be on their game to beat Minnesota. The advantage for Iowa this week is that the game is in Kinnick. That's an edge Iowa needs.

Iowa doesn't match up on their defensive front with Minnesota's 340 pound (average) offensive line. but they can use their mobility to cause some problems. Iowa's defensive backs and linebackers will be busy. Minnesota has some play makers. They have 2 running backs that are very good. Not Barkley good. But good. They have big wide receivers. And a quarterback that can make Iowa pay for any mistakes.

This is a make or break year for Minnesota. They win tomorrow and they have the West championship in the bag with Northwestern and Wisconsin left on their schedule. It's doubtful they drop a game to Northwestern. Wisconsin needs Iowa to win tomorrow. Iowa needs to win tomorrow.

It's going to be a tough game. Iowa doesn't match up very well with Minnesota. But I am still picking Iowa by 3.

Iowa by 3 .

There's a TON on the line for Minny tomorrow, and they may suffer from an emotional letdown after such a high-tension game last week. Not to mention they're leaving for the unfriendly confines of Kinnick.

I see this going one of two ways:

2010 MSU-type game where Iowa completely dismantles their opponent and leaves us all thinking "WTF was that?!"

or

Another tight, heartbreaker where the O does just enough to keep it close, but still falls short.

Latest posts